Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoGram 2 Beograms connect to Beosound 9000

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kktsui
    BRONZE Member

Hello all,  If any adaptor or cable to connect 2 beograms to Beosound 9000 at the same time so that I can use either one? I have Beogram 4500 and Beogram RX2 with pre-amp, both turntables are using Din 5 plug connect to Beosound 9000. Thank you for your help in advance.

Best Regards,

Peter

Guy
        • Warwickshire, UK

B&O used to make an aux expander with full 7-pin DIN inputs/outputs as shown below:

Aux expander

I don’t know of any other 5/7 pin switching units.

The alternative is to use DIN to phono adaptors, and then get a switching box like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Cd-Aux-Stereo-Switch-Black/dp/B000KVODHA/?th=1

I think Sounds Heavenly used to supply such a box but I can’t find it on Steve’s site – he can probably help with leads.

Guy
          • Warwickshire, UK

A more expensive remote controllable solution here:  https://uk.bosscom.com/products/details?id=1143

kktsui
          BRONZE Member

Hi, I can find a 7 PIN AUX SPLITTER – DUAL AUX / TAPE INPUT SOCKETS from Sounds Heavenly.  Is it the right adaptor in my case?  Howver, unfortunately, he will not send to my place right now.  Thanks.

aux splitter

Guy
              • Warwickshire, UK

Hi, I can find a 7 PIN AUX SPLITTER – DUAL AUX / TAPE INPUT SOCKETS from Sounds Heavenly.  Is it the right adaptor in my case?  Howver, unfortunately, he will not send to my place right now.  Thanks.

I think that you will experience problems with this adaptor if you leave both turntables connected at the same time – the input impedance will be wrong and the sound level reduced.

You will need to use a switched solution.

kktsui
              BRONZE Member

Hi, thanks for your reminder.  I think I need to find a switch box with 7 pin input instead.

Guy
                  • Warwickshire, UK

Hi, thanks for your reminder.  I think I need to find a switch box with 7 pin input instead.

You won’t need 7 pin. Pins 6 and 7 are only for datalink which the BS9000 does not have. You should be able to unscrew pins 6 and 7 from the DIN plugs with a small screwdriver, and then use a 5-pin switching unit – if you can find one.

din socket

EDIT:  And if you do remove the pins keep them somewhere very safe for future use (or future BeoGram users!)

kktsui
                  BRONZE Member

Thank you so much for your advice!

Guy
                      • Warwickshire, UK

No problem – happy to help!

A further thought – a while back I found this switch box which is designed for a different purpose:  https://www.tvcables.co.uk/2-port-svga-5-pin-din-switch-box-sb-392.html

Anyway, I just searched eBay, found one cheap and purchased it.  I plan to use it for a different project, but when it arrives I will check the internal switching and connections and see if it could be used as an aux switcher.  I will post back here when I know more.

kktsui
                      BRONZE Member

Thank you so much for your effort!!!

Guy
                          • Warwickshire, UK

So the switch box arrived today.

Although I bought ‘opened never used’ from eBay, here’s a reminder of the type from one of many suppliers:  https://www.tvcables.co.uk/2-port-svga-5-pin-din-switch-box-sb-392.html

I opened it up to check the wiring and it appears to be fully switching between all 5 pins of the din inputs (plus of course the added ‘bonus’ of the 15-pin VGA sockets).  I think the main rotary switch would be described as at least 20-pole two-way, but I may well have the terminology wrong!

Anyway, I did a quick check with a couple of iPhones and it works well to switch between two-5 pin DIN inputs to a single 5-pin DIN output.  It comes in a nice metal case with rubber feet.

Here are some photos:

IMG_7690IMG_7691IMG_7692IMG_7693

I did check for ‘crosstalk’ between the two inputs but couldn’t detect anything.  I am not sure that I would use it for non-RIAA/pre-amplified turntables due to lack of screened cables, but as a line-level audio switching box I would expect it to be fine – hence perfect for connecting two turntables to the BS9000 as asked in the thread.  You would just have to remove pins 6 and 7 from the Beogram DIN plugs, and then use a 5-pin DIN to DIN for the output/input to BS9000.

It would also be quite easy to replace the 5-pin sockets with 7-pin for datalink (or 8-pin for Powerlink) and move some of the cables from the VGA sockets.

Happy to answer any further questions!

kktsui
                          BRONZE Member

Hi, Much appreciate for your detailed information and pictures. I will consider to take your advice to solve my issue. Many thanks! ?

Hi Guy,

Looks like a very interesting and well made project, thanks for sharing this!

Kind regards, Steve.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.