19? With Theatre, 28s, 1s?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Razlaw
    BRONZE Member

Any opinions on adding a 19 to a Theatre with 28s front and 1s rear?

Millemissen
      GOLD Member
        • Flensborg/Danmark

Go for it – why not!

MM

Sandyb
        BRONZE Member

oh man, are the 28s and Theatre not bassy enough!

I mean, yeah why not add a 19 I guess, but I’d be very surprised if your current setup is not already on the bass heavy side.

Am I missing something?

PhilLondon
          BRONZE Member

I checked some specs and the 19 goes down to 18Hz as opposed to 27/28 for the theatre and BL28s… maybe it’ll make a difference.

the theatre is supposed to adjust everything… so I guess I’ll be OK…

Razlaw
            BRONZE Member

My dealer seems to be suggesting that the with the Theatre redirecting bass to the 19 instead of sending all to the 28s and 1s, the overall sound would be improved.

Mr10Percent
              BRONZE Member

My opinion, is that the Theatre is a great leveller. I don’t think people should get hung up in speaker envy. If you have Beolabs and a Theatre, go for it and enjoy! It will be a great AV system and envy of many.

Sandyb
                BRONZE Member

sure, up to a point.

But if one was a watcher of action movies etc (with all the associated effects), I’d have thought height channels offer a more meaningful performance delta.

beojeff
                  BRONZE Member

With that combination of speakers, you might try placing the 19 behind your listening position. I really like having a nice balance of bass surrounding me — such as what I have with 2 BL9s as fronts, 2 BL9s as rears, and just using the BL1s as sides. The BL1s are so lacking in bass and have such a shrill sound that I think they might sound annoying as rears. I also think the great height of the BL1s might bother you when using them as rears so close to your ears.

Razlaw
                    BRONZE Member

I have never found the 1s shrill, although I know many others do. I have found them very warm. I used them as rears for years with a BV7 and 9s, until I moved them to be fronts in another room. At the time my wife was nit happy as she loved them as rears, as did I.  With the Theatre I have returned them to the room as rears. The sound is amazing!
                      I was thinking of the 19 possibly being in the rear. But, the more I listen to the system, the less I think I need a 19.  The bass is incredible already.  Also, I read on Geoff Martin’s blog that if a 19 is connected to a Beovision with BL9s, the the 19 will receive no sound as the BV will direct all bass to the 9s as they have a better sub in them. With 28s as fronts I am seriously wondering if the 19 would add much if anything.
                      I wonder what would happen if I connected one of my 9s to the Theatre but told the Theatre it was 19? LOL. Just for fun and as a test of course.

Mr10Percent
                      BRONZE Member

Shared bass across all loudspeakers to even out room-related issues.

Razlaw
                        BRONZE Member

Shared bass is one of the reasons I purchased the Theatre. I found the video very interesting when I watched it a few weeks ago.

geoffmartin
                          BRONZE Member

Don’t confuse low frequency cutoff with bass capability.

The first is a measure of how low in frequency a loudspeaker can play at a “normal” listening level.

The second is a measure of how loudly the loudspeaker can play low-frequency content.

For example, any 1″ tweeter can play signals down to 10 Hz – but it can’t do it loudly.

Razlaw
                            BRONZE Member

Thank you so much for the response! I remember reading on your blog about bass where you had the drawing of the ridiculously long speaker. I needed a reminder however.
                              And thank you for the AMAZING work on the Theatre. I have had a BV7 with 1s, then 9s, then 20s, then 50s, and then 28s as fronts. (I know, weird to go from 50s to 28s lol) The BV7 has now been replaced with a Theatre. The sound, both for movies, and for music from just the 28s but driven by the Theatre is absolutely stunning! The sound is so staggeringly good, I am scared to tamper with it by adding a 19 lol. So again thanks for the extraordinary result you have produced with the Theatre.

geoffmartin
                              BRONZE Member

You’re welcome! But I only deserve a very small percentage of the credit. A hockey team is more than its goalie. 😉

But I’ll pass the comments on in my next meeting with the gang.

cheers
                                -geoff

Razlaw
                                BRONZE Member

Have a 19 on it’s way from dealer to try out.  Am very curious to see if I like the sound better with or without it.

Severed_hand_of_skywalker
                                  BRONZE Member
                                    • Toronto, Canada

Apparently there is a bug with the theatre and the 19 right now where it doesn’t know it’s a sub and sends all the audio to it.  So be sure that bug is fixed before you test it out.

Razlaw
                                    BRONZE Member

Thanks for letting me know! I had second thoughts about the 19 before seeing this and told dealer to hold off on shipping the 19.  Now I am doubly glad I did.  I cancelled because I don’t know that I have a suitable place in the room for it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.