Reply To: Beolab 8000 preventive care.

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab Beolab 8000 preventive care. Reply To: Beolab 8000 preventive care.

matador
    • Paris France
    • Topics Started 49
    • Total Posts 747

Hi Guys, It’s done, at least for one speaker.

The other one will wait a bit since this is not a really pleasant experience.
    That will also allow me to compare Both speaker with new and old foam.

Starting point: the Beolab with stand and fret off and obviously the new set of damping material.

IMG_9420

Then take out the screws off: 6 for the amplifier plate, 12 for the speaker plate. All the same.

You need to cut the rubber border use to damp the fret between the two front plates. Use a sharp knife.

IMG_9424

The plates are still firmly glued to the pipe. Insert a flat screwdriver and gently pry off the plate. Then progress to the bottom. I used two very useful little tools Thant came with a garden tinsel from a Scandinavian well known brand to open up the two plates, one side after the other.

IMG_9425

IMG_9422

IMG_9426

IMG_9427

Disconnect all that should be:

• One big socket between speaker plate and amplifier plate. (white/blue/red).
    • One big socket (main power/Yellow) between the amplifier board and the cone.
    • Two little connectors between the amplifier board and the cone (3 and 4 wires).

Beware, there is also a third tiny connector much larger (7 or 8 wires), you can disconnect it but it loops from the cone into the cone. Don’t mistake it for the one  that must be disconnected and pull the plate while it is still attached.

IMG_9433

Once everything disconnected, take out the plates: amplifier first, then speaker

Here start the mess! Use gloves.

Foam to be removed is located:

• Just above the cone.
    • One the amp board, between the actual amplifier chip and the main board.
    • In the gap between the speaker zone and the amplifier zone.
    • One big piece in the speaker tube.

IMG_9428

IMG_9438

IMG_9431

The big speaker piece was in my case quite well, sticky and chewy but I was able to remove it easily in one part.

All the other parts were in an advanced state of disintegration, turned into a sticky dust spread all inside the column. You’re happy when you manage to take out a big piece!.

IMG_9429

IMG_9430

Even the foam sealing between the pipe and the plates is rotted. you need to rub it to clean it.

IMG_9435

The pipe was vacuum cleaned with the help of alcohol (90°, no isopropyl here in France).

IMG_9436

IMG_9437

The amplifier board was opened after disconnecting the plugs and cleaned with a brush and alcohol.

IMG_9439

To me this is the most scary part: I don’t like rub a brush on those PCB with so tiny component. I’m not confident enough to know if this is ok or not and I’l afraid of breaking something or hurting a component. SO I did this carefully with a brush and a vacuum cleaner, take out the most of it but after this, it still remain some sort of sticky touch all over the parts. I think it still better the before.

IMG_9440

IMG_9441

Before screwing the amplifier board to the Amplifier plate, you need to replace the foam between the chip and the board.

IMG_9442

Then clean all the connectors, the speaker socket was particularly dirty.

IMG_9443

Then you can start the actual foam replacement. Note that the new set has nothing in common with the previous.

Around the bas port entry.

IMG_9444

In the column, roughly in the middle behind  were the woofers are.

6a89zo1ry0sn23mdkv28tpncapzgr06c

At the base (rear).

IMG_9446

The V shaped one at the bottom of the long strips just above the amp section.

Close the speaker panel and watch out for the speakers wires to go into the foam groove of the V shaped piece.

7a9tiiqv7pzv4in25wrqvuq3w6n1563w

Correct placement of the foam pieces is are illustrated below. They should make a coffin for the two woofers.

oce0fbpk6ai8oiycg0qh92t6zaxn3a63

Then, place the amplifier board, plug everything that need to:

• One plug between amplifier plate and speaker plate.
    • 3 or 4 plugs between amplifier plate and cone.

Before closing the amplifier plate, add the remaining front base foam piece.

IMG_9450

Close the speaker, tight all the screws (18) and check your new foam root proof Beolab 8000!

Hope this helps.