Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoCenter BeoCenter 2300 CDM-4 CD Repair

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Guy
      • Warwickshire, UK

I thought that I would start a new thread about repairing the CD player on my older two-way BC2300 fitted with the curved tracking CDM-4 CD mechanism.  I have mentioned the CD problem in my thread about displaying time on BeoLab 3500 here.

I have previously fixed the CD player in my newer one-way, linear tracking BeoCenter 2300, as described in @madskp’s slightly hijacked thread here.

On other B&O CD players, capacitor C2103 is typically quoted as the cause of CD problems, and a quick search of the archived forums and cross checking the service manuals shows that the BeoCenter 2300 ‘equivalent’ of C2103 is C100 on PCB 8, the PCB shared by the Servo, disc detector and CD decoder. Here’s C100 highlighted:

BC2300 C100 PCB 8

After removing the doors and the right hand plastic cover, the underside of PCB8 is exposed here:

IMG_8874

And I have zoomed in and circled the C100 position here: (found by following the trace from pin 17 of IC1)

IMG_8873 c100

And here’s a quick picture of C100 with the PCB released from the plastic clips (centre one has broken, always a problem with brittle plastic on these older systems).  I am not yet removing the board because I want to order the parts first and I probably need to dismantle the BeoCenter more fully to release the CD ribbon cable that is connected to the reverse of the extra right angled PCB you can see bottom right of the picture below:

IMG_8871

As explained in that other thread, the CD player doesn’t fail every time and is improving the more that I use it, but I suspect it’s only a matter of time before it gets worse so I will order a new capacitor, fit, and see how I get on.

As mentioned in the other thread, after research I will probably order this replacement capacitor:  https://cpc.farnell.com/vishay/mal213836479e3/cap-47uf-25v-alu-elec-axial/dp/CA08777

I may get a couple of spares for my BC9500, and my mother-in-law’s BC9500, in case they fail, but I think they are 33uF rather than 47uF (however reading previous posts I think the exact value is less important than the capacitor type).

Anyway, that’s just the start as I have yet to order the parts, so more to follow …

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.