Are these two transformers the same? BeoSound Century 2000

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Are these two transformers the same? BeoSound Century 2000

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    robert_glatzel
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 3
      • Total Posts 7

Hello everyone.

I have two functioning transformers that came out of a BeoSound Century 2000, one from the USA and one from Denmark.

I recently fixed my broken Century by swapping in parts from a European model, but am left wondering if I actually needed to purchase the European transformer.

As you can see in the photo (European is on top, USA on bottom), the only thing that is different is how the wires are connected on the bottom. The part number is the same, and the fuses listed seem to be the same as well.

So my question is: if I were to re-solder the transformer from the USA to match the same wiring on the European model, would it work? That way I could return the transformer I just purchased, and the other won’t go to waste / take up space.

Thanks in advance!

Guy
        • Warwickshire, UK
        • Topics Started 14
        • Total Posts 1,238

Yes – the service manual shows three different wiring schemes for the same transformer: 120v, 230v and 240v.

The fuses listed are actually on PCB 5, so if you haven’t replaced that with the USA one you will be fine.

(Sorry for the edits – hope I haven’t confused you!)

Guy
          • Warwickshire, UK
          • Topics Started 14
          • Total Posts 1,238

Further to the above, Module 10 (Mains) has an additional transformer that is wired differently according to the supply voltage, so you need to make sure this matches your mains supply.

robert_glatzel
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 3
            • Total Posts 7

Ah okay thank you for the response!

I’m unfamiliar with the names of the parts but I believe PCB 5 is the one after the transformer that sits under the door motor, correct?

And 10 Mains seems to be the one where the power cable is plugged into and then has a wire that runs into the transformer, correct?

I have switched both mentioned parts out for European versions, so I think if I were to change the wiring on the transformer it would work just fine…?

Guy
              • Warwickshire, UK
              • Topics Started 14
              • Total Posts 1,238

Iā€™m unfamiliar with the names of the parts but I believe PCB 5 is the one after the transformer that sits under the door motor, correct?

Yes – to the left of the CD and at the back of the unit.

And 10 Mains seems to be the one where the power cable is plugged into and then has a wire that runs into the transformer, correct?

Yes to this too.

So if both those are the European versions then yes you can just change the transformer wiring.

Which version of the tuner board is fitted? – there are differences between US and European version here also. (Not related to voltage supply, but may affect functionality)

robert_glatzel
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 3
                • Total Posts 7

Hmm unsure which part this refers to ( very new to this šŸ™‚ ), but it’s the American one.
                I haven’t noticed anything working incorrectly, although I’ve only used it for cassette tapes.

And great! I will go ahead and give this a try then!

Guy
                  • Warwickshire, UK
                  • Topics Started 14
                  • Total Posts 1,238

I think that the US tuner version adds AM frequencies if that’s any use to you!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Are these two transformers the same? BeoSound Century 2000

• You must be logged in to create new topics.