The New BG4000C

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Limited Edition BeoGram 4000c The New BG4000C

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    dueno
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 5
      • Total Posts 8
      hcraig244
      SILVER Member
        • Topics Started 7
        • Total Posts 197

Couple of things here…..firstly does anyone have any pictures of whats inside the new turntable?

Secondly  I read somewhere that B&O where offering to upgrade existing 4000x turntables to the new spec…..what are they changing out and more importantly what are they going to do with the component/equipment they remove during this excercise….

BeoCom 1401
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 2
          • Total Posts 14

I’m curious about this topic as well. I just purchased a 4002 in pristine condition and I love it, but I’d be interested in getting a 2nd unit, maybe one that’s not in as great of shape, and sending it to B&O using this program. Has anyone on the forum purchased the Upgrade Kit?

Tignum
          GOLD Member
            • Netherlands
            • Topics Started 8
            • Total Posts 365

Hi, this book for the turntable afficionados out there has the 4000c on the cover!

71mw0TuOmyL

hcraig244
            SILVER Member
              • Topics Started 7
              • Total Posts 197

There’s no question that it looks very attractive, and that its modelled on a 4002 unit. In my view it lacks the over engineered and massively complicated  charm of a 4000 deck, the boolean logic controlling the 4000 is a work of art in itself…and the delicate reed relay stop start circuit is just so baffling that i suspect it must have been reverse engineered from an alien spacecraft dug up from the gobi dessert ;¬)

And does anyone know what the device is that Eric is injecting the circuit board with is, soldering flux perhaps. Looks like he is upgrading an existing deck from the oxidation on the internals, an old Elco Capacitor and the tone arm solenoid coil looks like it has warmed up the insulation over time…is image 2 the finished article Steve?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
                • Topics Started 53
                • Total Posts 368

Hi,

I’m not sure what task Erik was carrying out specifically when I took the photo, my Danish wasn’t good enough to be able to get into a detailed discussion.  The finished item shown in my second photo is of a Beogram that had just been completed for another customer, along with the two adapter cables that I supply to B&O for each Beogram 4000c turntable (it was nice to see those cables in the workshop ready to be sent out with the Beograms, after all the hard work making them!)

Kind regards, Steve.

chartz
                GOLD Member
                  • Burgundy
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Total Posts 220

Nice book. Unavailable at the moment, unfortunately.

Tignum
                  GOLD Member
                    • Netherlands
                    • Topics Started 8
                    • Total Posts 365

Nice to see a 6500 or 7000 pizza box on the work station! One of the test tools maybe?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
                      • Topics Started 53
                      • Total Posts 368

IMG_3985-a

Here is a picture I took of Erik working on one of the Beogram 4000c turntables when I visited Factory 3 in Struer a few weeks ago.  The workmanship and attention to detail is superb, as you can see from the finished item below, which just has one panel removed for testing (the cables that are shipped with it are also very nice!):-

IMG_3988

Kind regards, Steve.

matador
                        • Paris France
                        • Topics Started 47
                        • Total Posts 730

Thanks for these pics Steve.

The Beogram 4000c looks really yellow compared to the rose gold in the marketing pictures. Do you know what this one is? I would have beleived all units (50 right?) would have been sold by now or at least not in the workshop.

And did you had time to talk with the guys about the name “4000” against “4002”?

Tank you.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
                          • Topics Started 53
                          • Total Posts 368

Hi Matador,

Yes, all of the original 95 units sold immediately, then B&O started to upgrade customers’ own Beograms.  The name “4000c” is to cover the 4002, 4004 and 6000 models that are currently being upgraded, as this is seen as a common model number to cover all the individual models being worked on.

Kind regards, Steve.

solderon29
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Topics Started 2
                            • Total Posts 27

I wonder if “Eric” is injecting “magic dust”into the pcb.They must get through a lot during this project?

I hope that it’s not contact lubricant into old intermittant presets?

Of course,later,he will replace that old ropey Wicon cap too,and dismantle the turntable motor and re-infuse the bearings etc etc?

Watching the video of this project on the B&O website,I was reminded of tv’s the Repair Shop,but without the mawkish ” human story” element.

Praps its just me again,but?

Nick

steve1977
                            BRONZE Member
                              • Topics Started 12
                              • Total Posts 54

Has anyone bought the “tool” and how do the results look like? It reads like a great initiative and could get me a nice turntable although I missed the original offer.

I would need to buy a used one first. Anything to note and what part of it should I pay attention to be in good condition (and which parts don’t matter as they will be replaced anyways. Also, what are advantages of the respective models?

hcraig244
                              SILVER Member
                                • Topics Started 7
                                • Total Posts 197

I’ve just had a look at the video on the b&o website…..and if i’m looking at the right one it yet again identifies the BG4002 or maybe BG2004 deck, none of the illustrations depict a BG4000 deck, is this because of the complexity involved……if one was to send them a BG4000 would a BG4002 be returned?…….I’m confused.com ;¬)

bulldog123
                                GOLD Member
                                  • Topics Started 5
                                  • Total Posts 22

Hcraig244

in my discussions with a b&o sales rep they have stated that the bg4000 is not part of the refurbishment program – just bg4002,4004&6000.   I would also like to know what they do to the electronics other than the new RIAA board.

hcraig244
                                  SILVER Member
                                    • Topics Started 7
                                    • Total Posts 197

Well…..thats that little conundrum solved, shying away from what would be a difficult and expensive undertaking.

Mbee
                                    BRONZE Member
                                      • Topics Started 4
                                      • Total Posts 59

Probably to protect the asset value of those 50 people who paid £10k for the first/only batch of BC4000C’s

No, because the first batch of 95 BG4000C was also based on BG4002’s! Two things for me : BG4000 is very complicated to be serviced AND BG4000 is a rare work of art that has to stay untouched.

matador
                                        • Paris France
                                        • Topics Started 47
                                        • Total Posts 730

Could somebody remind us the bold lines why the 4002 is easier to service than the 4000?

AdamS
                                        GOLD Member
                                          • Topics Started 3
                                          • Total Posts 117

So, just to clarify, the only Beogram that cannot be upgraded to a Beogram 4000C is………………….a Beogram 4000.

Oh the irony!!

Mr10Percent
                                          BRONZE Member
                                            • Topics Started 9
                                            • Total Posts 511

Probably to protect the asset value of those 50 people who paid £10k for the first/only batch of BC4000C’s

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Limited Edition BeoGram 4000c The New BG4000C

• You must be logged in to create new topics.