Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Upcoming height speaker?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Hereford
    BRONZE Member

There’s been murmurings around this forum about an upcoming product in this space. I’m guessing Beolab 8 wasn’t it. Any thoughts?

Severed_hand_of_skywalker
      BRONZE Member
        • Toronto, Canada

I’m hoping for a replacement for the BL3 to add to my theatre as hight Speakers

Sandyb
        BRONZE Member

Surely the BL8 announced last week is what you talking about?

matteventu
          BRONZE Member

Surely the BL8 announced last week is what you talking about?

Beolab 8 doesn’t have any height speaker drivers.

NQVHNWI
            FOUNDER Member

I think the expectation is you mount them high on the wall bracket or buy the Ceiling brackets. Other than that….there are Celestials for true overhead ceiling speakers.

If you are thinking about up-firing speakers, then no. I dont think B&O would do that. I would see it as a USP for some manufacturers but not a great solution. B&O have spend a lot of time, effort and money to actually NOT have in-room reflections and nodes in their music and visual systems

Millemissen
              BRONZE Member
                • Flensborg————Danmark

Please do not expect any speaker with a built-in hight/upfiring speaker from B&O…..that is not how they do it.

Assuming that you already have an excisting (5.x or 7.x) base layer of speakers, with the right placement the BL8 can play the role of a hight (or even a ceiling) speaker.

MM

Sandyb
                BRONZE Member

As below, they are not going to make a BL speaker with upfiring speakers.

My interpretation of the OPs question was whether there was something coming that could be used easily as a height speaker, i.e. mounted up high – as since the demise of the 3s/17s, there has been nothing in the portfolio. With the BL8s now, there is something.

They are not going to make a BeoLab – be that something like the 18s, 28s, 50s etc – with extra upfiring drivers on the top.

Millemissen
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Flensborg————Danmark

The ceiling mounting option will be available later.

IMG_0669

MM

Evan
                    GOLD Member
                      • San Francisco

Please do not expect any speaker with a built-in hight/upfiring speaker from B&O…..that is not how they do it.

Doesn’t the BeoSound Theatre have a pair of up-firing fullrange speakers? Or do you mean something like a stand alone BeoLab with height?

Evan
                      GOLD Member
                        • San Francisco

Up-firing speakers can be weird beasts. Honestly speaking it would be really interesting to see how a design and technology driven company like B&O would tackle the segment of floor stander w/height or an add-on height speaker.

When you consider directivity, occlusion and the other odd requirements of height speakers (of the “reflected” type), you end up with really fascinating mechanical implementation and I’m sure B&O could make it into something interesting.

Never say never!

NQVHNWI
                        FOUNDER Member
                          Doesn’t the BeoSound Theatre have a pair of up-firing fullrange speakers? Or do you mean something like a stand alone BeoLab with height?
                          I would say that’s exactly why they won’t make a upfiring Beolab speaker. As I see it, soundbars alone are useless to deliver an Atmos experience. What they do is exactly what I was eluding to…..add a sound interference that gives a perception of depth and somewhat muddies the sound stage. I expect that a good deal of Theatre Owners with 5.1 or higher setups have either toned back the upfiring speakers either by RoomSense automatically or by manual adjustment.

Another point…..although the exception I’m sure, my livening room consists of a very high vaulted ceiling. Going from 3m on the left side increasing to 6m on the right of the  living room and the pitching down to 3m again over the kitchen. the span will be 10-12m.

I suspect there will be very few loudspeakers for the domestic market that could light that up properly via ceiling reflection.
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.