Home Forums General Discussion & Questions B&O Finance B&O Q4 and Full year results

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sandyb
    BRONZE Member

Just released, investor conference call not happened as yet, but here is my big picture summary having read the report.

1.The 4th quarter was actually ok, and while the first 3 quarters were pointing at a full year of -8% revenue wise, in the end Q4 seems to have been better. Full year earnings ended -5% ish (I wouldnt read too much into this better Q4, China was +ve but coming off a very low base, so being +ve vs a low hurdle doesnt mean that much. Europe and US sales both shrank).

2. The big news is that they have decided to double down on the (Luxury Timeless Tech) strategy, which they see as showing some encouragign signs especially in the cities where implemented (London, NYC, Paris). They are raising (20%) new equity funding to facilitate this strategic acceleration! Punchy move, and a bit jam tomorrow (this new fin year is not expected to show much growth, so patience y’all).

Csaba
      BRONZE Member

So what does point 2 actually mean for us? Forgive my non-native English or my lack of exact context, but some of this seemed cryptic to me, so could you please help me understand it based on the following?

1. «Double» down? As in the rate at which they have increased prices wasn’t speedy or high enough?

2. What is it that really defines «luxury timeless tech»? Modular/Mozart/Cradle-to-Cradle with more longevity, which is more expensive on its own and as such I accept it (the «timeless tech» bit) BUT combined with their pricing strategy and what kind of brand they see themselves as it’s going to be even tougher pricing moving forward because of the word «luxury»?

3. What is this «strategic acceleration»? Implement more similar flagships like in Mayfair around the world?

4. Can you elaborate on «jam tomorrow»? Meaning getting a real picture in a year following the upcoming Q4 results?

5. In what way do you mean we should be patient? What results are we hoping for?

6. Most importantly, is the CEO succeeding after all?

Sandyb
        BRONZE Member

For clarity, management did not use the term double down, thats just my linguistic turn of phrase.

But outside of updating investors of the full year realised numbers, their big point in the presentation was raising new equity capital specifically in order to speed up the transition from where they were (lets say 3+ years ago) to where they want to get to.

A big part of this transition is transforming their consumer facing retail network – s0 alot of multi-brand points of sale have gone, the target global cities identified, flagships will be opened in many, underperforming (non-Tier 1) franchises will be removed so they remaining ones are top notch, all of which is directed at ensuring high levels of service.

What does it mean for customers? Well just more of what we’ve seen in recent years, they’re just speeding up the above transformation.   They did mention that they’ll continue to lean into luxury pricing, which has already been part of the strategic transformation, and will be continually assessing (ensuring?) that products are at luxury levels.

My point about patience was more one for investors – whom the update was directed at after all.  The network transformation is  not cheap, does have some near term earnings implications, but they see it paying off (earnings growing again) down the road. Investing for the future, hence patience.   ** Jam tomorrow is a bit of an English saying, generally used as a sceptical take on when someone is always promising better days ahead.

matteventu
          BRONZE Member

franchises will be removed so they remaining ones are top notch, all of which is directed at ensuring high levels of service.

That’s going to be completely useless if they don’t up their game in software development. Which is (app and devices firmware) arguably one of the things that – compared to a few years ago – now has dramatically fallen downhill

In other words: B&O leadership continues being completely clueless.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.