Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoGram Bepgram 4004 – tone arm doesn’t proceed – stop button doesn’t work

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    opirat
    BRONZE Member

Good morning, everyone, and happy holidays.
      After some time of inactivity, I picked up my beogram 4004 and brought it to the city where I live now. Unfortunately I noticed that the tonearm goes down but the mechanism does not proceed. Also the stop button does not work anymore.
      Does anyone have any suggestions?
      Thank you and have a good day,
      Luigi

auric
      BRONZE Member

Luigi:

Maybe you need a new belt.

Take the top plate off. The tone arm motor is located in the upper right hand corner of the deck.

If the pulley is motor is turning but the pulley is not then the belt is slipping and will need to be changed.

Derek

opirat
        BRONZE Member

Dear Derek,
          thank you for your reply and suggestion. These are the updates of my situation: the arm started moving again, I realized there was a problem with the lamp for fine speed dial & carriage motion opto sensor. It is working now but the tonearm is lowering diagonally while the carriage continues to move. Also, the tonearm does not stop exactly at the beginning of the record, it goes slightly further forward and the needle lowers while the arm is moving. I hope I have been clear enough.
          I also ask if anyone can suggest a way to try to solve the problem with the stop button not working.

Thanks averybody,

Luigi

jfrancis49
          BRONZE Member

Hello Luigi,

If this turntable has not been used for sometime it probably needs at the least be cleaned and lubricated. As you know these are not simple machines and depending on your skill level you may need someone to do someone familiar with servicing it. There is a service manual you can download from this site that can be of help for many tonearm and servo tracking adjustments after cleaning and lubricating.  The keypad has copper contacts that may be oxidized and causing your stop key function. If you take the keypad out it can be cleaned by inserting a small strip of sandpaper between the contacts. Ideally the sensor arm should be removed and the tone arm linkage cleaned and lubricated.

If you have not had a capacitor replacement, that needs to be done as well, look up Beoparts on the web to see if they can help. There are electronic faults that unless you have experience with electronics will not be solved by cleaning, lubricating or adjustment.

I am not an electronics technician. These are great turntables but take it from someone who basically can solder and follow guidance from a lot more experienced people on this website, there are a lot of things to sort out before a simple answer can be given to your turntable issues. But maybe one of the more experienced people here will give you a more specific solution to your problems.

Good luck.

John

opirat
            BRONZE Member

Dear John, thank you for your interest and advice.

I am actually not an electronics technician either and my skills only go so far.

So far, thanks to Rudy’s (Beolover) advice and tutorials I have managed to solve “everything” except the STOP button which still does not work. As soon as I have some time I will try to disassemble the pad and work in the contacts with sandpaper.

Have a good evening and thanks again,

Luigi

opirat
              BRONZE Member

Last update,

I opened up the pad and used the sandpaper to scratch the contacts.

Everything is working now.

Thanks everybody.

I wish you all an happy new year!

Ciao,

Luigi

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.