Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoVision Beovision 8-40 – reatoring the damaged surface?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CharlieWednesday
    GOLD Member
      • Liverpool

I bought a Beovision 8 (40″) TV really cheap on eBay – it is in full working order but I believe this is a common problem: the ‘rubber’ surface is worn off in places and it doesn’t look great close up.

I have read that this surface can be removed with Isopropyl 70%, and a microfibre cloth, and a lot of patience.  I know this is probably a hard no from everyone but I might as well ask – has anyone ever tried this?

Madskp
      GOLD Member
        • Denmark

Congrats on the “new” TV. I had one of these before I got my current Beoplay V1, and remember it as being a great TV.

I have tried to remove the sticky coating on a Beocenter 2, Beosound 4 andBeosound 5.

I have used 99% isopropyl alcohol (because thats what I have), but the 70% might also work fine.

I use toilet paper for the rubbing, I would not suggest to reuse cloths after this use.

My experience is that you have to go over the same spot 3-4 times to get it right, but results may vary.

The surface will get another look, but in case of the Beocenter 2 and the Beosound 5 it was ok (in my opinion) and the coating is only on the bottom part, so not as noticeable as it might be on a BV8.

On the Beosound 4 my experience was that it was more sticky than the other two units, and it became more plastic like to look at. On this unit I also noted that if I rubbed to much I would get down to the bare plastic which did not look good.

So The coating might be different on that unit.

My best advice would be to make a little test spot on the back or the bottom (not really sure if it has coating on the bottom) to see if you are ok with the look.

But be prepared to use a lot of hours for this job because of the size.

Btw I remember an old thread probably on one of the archived forums where a member removed the coating on a BV8 and repainted it in purple I think, so there is also an option.

Good luck with the project

Madskp
        GOLD Member
          • Denmark
          Madskp
          GOLD Member
            • Denmark

Here is the link to the old thread about repainting the BV8. https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/21214.aspx

All picture links are dead though.

The thread also mentions mechanical scraping, but I would suggest starting testing with the IPA

CharlieWednesday
            GOLD Member
              • Liverpool

All vert useful, thanks.  I will test an area on the back, then if I’m happy with the finish, set to work on the whole thing.  Don’t think I’ll be painting it purple though!

CharlieWednesday
              GOLD Member
                • Liverpool

Took me a while to get around to this task but I’ve done it!  I used 99.9% isopropyl and some very strong kitchen paper towel.  I did need to go over it a few times – basically when the paper came up clean, I knew I was done with that area.

I did the front and edges but not the back.  I didn’t do the bevelled bits around the screen as I was worried that the isopropyl could damage the screen, so I did not want it coming into contact.  Beneath the screen where the plastic above the speaker is flat and goes directly beneath the screen, I put a length of narrow tape along there before I cleaned that bit and removed it when I was done. It means there is a narrow strip of the original rubbery surface directly below the screen, but it’s a neat line so looks okay.

Once the ‘rubber’ was all gone the plastic underneath did look little patchy from all the rubbing, but I read somewhere that plastic can be cleaned with WD-40 oil.  I put a tiny amount of WD-40 onto kitchen paper and wiped it over the whole surface, and it really did help to even it out.  It looked a bit shiny at first but once it had dried it ended up with more a matt finish, and much more even than it was before.

Since starring this thread I have also bought a Beosound 4 which is in the same room as the BV8 – that suffers from the same problem with the rubbery material, so I did that too.  On that however I only cleaned the sides, and the edges of the ridges on the back, top and bottom. The surface beneath the glass door has not gone sticky, and I didn’t want to risk damaging anything.

Thanks for the tips – it looks so much better. It took a good few hours but it was worth it and I would recommend it.

Madskp
                GOLD Member
                  • Denmark

Great to hear it vent well 😀

And great that the coating is possible to remove with good result in most cases. B&O was not the only ones to use it. I just had my hands on a remote for a 10 year old streaming box from Western Digital where the back of the remote was all sticky and left spots on my hands 😝

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.