Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Beosound Stage MK2 ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Emeric
    BRONZE Member

Hello guys,

I am looking at replacing my current set-up (3.1 system) by a Soundbar and the only I am looking for the Beosound stage because I need something that can be very good at reproducing Music AND being beautiful (which is pretty rare…).

The only thing I am wondering is because it’s a product that is already 3 years old, I would be super disappointed if I purchase one and a Mark 2 is on its way.

Therefore do you know if there is any info regarding a potential Mark2?

Thanks & have a good day.

matteventu
      BRONZE Member

I’d say don’t purchase a Beosound Stage now.

The hardware platform it’s based on has very old and weak CPU.

IMHO it’s worth waiting for a Stage 2nd Gen, although this may take even 2-3 years to come out… In the meantime, I’d buy something else a bit cheaper that you can in the future sell to replace it with the new Stage once it comes out.

Edit: actually, if you’re only interested in the soundbar itself, then even a current-gen Stage will do. If – however – you’re counting on being able to add rear surround speakers in the future – then definitely wait for the Gen2.

Mark
        FOUNDER Member

I purchased 2 Stage’s around Christmas and they are very nice indeed! I absolutely love the sound when listening to music. B&O doesn’t reveal their roadmap for their products for obvious reasons and there probably is a Mk II sometime in the future.  I wouldn’t count on the ability to add additional speakers, if it does then expect the price to reflect that.

I expect the current generation of the Stage to have a healthy life.  I’m sure the CPU is suffieient for what it has to do.  If in the future, hopefully 10+ years, it does become out of date I wouldn’t feel bad to have to buy the current model.

Emeric
          BRONZE Member

Ok so basically you don’t believe a 2nd gen will come out this year?

I’m actually only interested in the soundbar itself, I used to have a 5.1 system but because of my current living room arrangement I could only plug a 3.1 and I don’t miss the rear 2 that I have not been able to connect. I therefore want a simple system and I don’t mind not being able to add rear speakers.

And when you were talking about another soundbar, which one you had in mind?

Because what I am looking for is a soundbar that is beautiful and sound great for TV (60% of the time) / Music (30% of the time) and Movies (10% of the time). Based on that the only contender I have found is the Stage. There was also the Sennheiser Ambeo Plus but it seems that it’s not as good for music, my use of movies is limited where basically the Ambeo Plus shines and the design is pretty bland to me…

Emeric
            BRONZE Member

I’d say don’t purchase a Beosound Stage now. The hardware platform it’s based on has very old and weak CPU. IMHO it’s worth waiting for a Stage 2nd Gen, although this may take even 2-3 years to come out… In the meantime, I’d buy something else a bit cheaper that you can in the future sell to replace it with the new Stage once it comes out. Edit: actually, if you’re only interested in the soundbar itself, then even a current-gen Stage will do. If – however – you’re counting on being able to add rear surround speakers in the future – then definitely wait for the Gen2.

Ok so basically you don’t believe a 2nd gen will come out this year?

I’m actually only interested in the soundbar itself, I used to have a 5.1 system but because of my current living room arrangement I could only plug a 3.1 and I don’t miss the rear 2 that I have not been able to connect. I therefore want a simple system and I don’t mind not being able to add rear speakers.

And when you were talking about another soundbar, which one you had in mind?

Because what I am looking for is a soundbar that is beautiful and sound great for TV (60% of the time) / Music (30% of the time) and Movies (10% of the time). Based on that the only contender I have found is the Stage. There was also the Sennheiser Ambeo Plus but it seems that it’s not as good for music, my use of movies is limited where basically the Ambeo Plus shines and the design is pretty bland to me…

Emeric
              BRONZE Member

I purchased 2 Stage’s around Christmas and they are very nice indeed! I absolutely love the sound when listening to music. B&O doesn’t reveal their roadmap for their products for obvious reasons and there probably is a Mk II sometime in the future. I wouldn’t count on the ability to add additional speakers, if it does then expect the price to reflect that. I expect the current generation of the Stage to have a healthy life. I’m sure the CPU is suffieient for what it has to do. If in the future, hopefully 10+ years, it does become out of date I wouldn’t feel bad to have to buy the current model.

Interesting, thanks Mark for your insights. My biggest fear was that a 2nd Gen would come out in few weeks but you and matteventu do not seem to believe it’d be the case.

I also proposed the Devialet Dione to Madam but when she saw the design she gave me a strict « no way » 🙂
                Therefore the stage is the only one I see that would fit my need at the moment, unless there is one I’m missing.

Millemissen
                BRONZE Member
                  • Flensborg————Danmark

No one knows, when or actually if there will be a MK2 – or what that would bring for that matter.

I’d say, if the Stage offers what you need….

….go for it!

MM

Mark
                  FOUNDER Member

I should mention that I have a historically long record of purchasing products right before they are updated!  I remember buying my prized LaserDisc player and in a week or two the new model came out.  I have no idea when the new Stage may come out, the A9 and BeoSound 2 were just refreshed so who knows.  Whatever happens I will still love my Gen 1 BeoSound 2 and the two Stages.  They are all providing an incredible amount of enjoyment so they were all good purchases.

Emeric
                    BRONZE Member

Well I’ve just ordered it on Black Anthracite! I’ll let you know my thoughts once I get it. Thanks for all your comments guys, this has comforted me to go for it.

Mark
                      FOUNDER Member

I know you will enjoy the Stage!  It looks and sounds fantastic!

Severed_hand_of_skywalker
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Toronto, Canada

Get the theatre instead.

Emeric
                          BRONZE Member
                            1. Get the theatre instead.

Not the same king of budget 🙂
                            Otherwise it’d be the one I’d go with

BRONZE Member
                              • Toronto, Canada

Ha ok.  Well the stage is really nice. In the short term there might be new colours. Technically the only major downside is that you can’t add speakers down the road. But if your budget is limited it doesn’t sound like you’d be adding speakers to it anyway.

Emeric
                              BRONZE Member

The lack of not being able to add speakers down the road is not an issue to me as I won’t go down this road again, I (should I say more my wife 🙂 want a simple solution.
                                To me the 2 major downsides of the Stage are more:
                                – the lack of subwoofer output. I have an SVS SB2000, so if the Stage had a subwoofer output, the only thing I would have kept from my current set-up would have been the subwoofer.
                                – the limited Atmos effects.

So if a Stage 2 would be released with a subwoofer output + additional speakers firing towards the sides to enlarge the sound stage, then it would be the perfect product to me.

To be fully transparent the 3 soundbards I had shortlisted were:
                                1 – the Stage
                                2 – the ambeo Plus. With this one I could keep my SVS SB2000 but apparently the music is not its forte and I use my speakers a lot for listening to music. Also the Ambeo Plus is not ugly but the design is a bit boring.
                                3 – the Devialet Dione but madam said no because of the design. On top of that after she said no I saw the Andrew Robinson’s review who destroyed the Dione… so that comforted me not to take it.

In the end I chose the Stage for being good at movies AND music + for its design, over the Sennheiser.

BRONZE Member
                                  • Toronto, Canada

With a soundbar you are always going to have “limited Atmos effects”. Even the theatre sounds like a soundbar with no additional speakers attached. There is no fooling with faux speakers behind to the side or above you. The thing that really surprised me most about the theatre was the fact that I don’t need a sub woofer anymore.

I feel like the next stage MIGHT allow wireless speaker connections. No idea when it might come out though.

matteventu
                                  BRONZE Member

The lack of not being able to add speakers down the road is not an issue to me as I won’t go down this road again, I (should I say more my wife ? want a simple solution. To me the 2 major downsides of the Stage are more: – the lack of subwoofer output. I have an SVS SB2000, so if the Stage had a subwoofer output, the only thing I would have kept from my current set-up would have been the subwoofer. – the limited Atmos effects. So if a Stage 2 would be released with a subwoofer output + additional speakers firing towards the sides to enlarge the sound stage, then it would be the perfect product to me. To be fully transparent the 3 soundbards I had shortlisted were: 1 – the Stage 2 – the ambeo Plus. With this one I could keep my SVS SB2000 but apparently the music is not its forte and I use my speakers a lot for listening to music. Also the Ambeo Plus is not ugly but the design is a bit boring. 3 – the Devialet Dione but madam said no because of the design. On top of that after she said no I saw the Andrew Robinson’s review who destroyed the Dione… so that comforted me not to take it. In the end I chose the Stage for being good at movies AND music + for its design, over the Sennheiser.

I’m like 90% confident the next gen Stage won’t have side-firing drivers like those of Theatre.

I think they’ll keep mostly the same drivers set-up, and only change the platform to Mozart (hence maybe in the future enabling the use of other Mozart speakers as surround satellites). Sub-out? I’d exclude it.

(Obviously this is what *I believe* they’re going to do, maybe they’ll to the opposite ?)

Emeric
                                    BRONZE Member

Indeed pretty sure the next Gen will come with the Mozart Platform. Let’s see for the rest.

My Stage is on its way, as I ordered it on B&O website I then have 30 days to decide if I keep it or not.
                                      I see that the Bronze Tone is now out of stock on their website, and this color has been around since the launch… I’ll follow if it comes back on stock in the following days, otherwise might be a sign that the 2nd Gen is coming…

Hiort
                                      BRONZE Member

Well I’ve just ordered it on Black Anthracite! I’ll let you know my thoughts once I get it. Thanks for all your comments guys, this has comforted me to go for it.

The Anthracite looks super. My son has it and it looks (and sounds) great. Enjoy!

Emeric
                                        BRONZE Member

Hello guys,

Well I received the Stage yesterday and I would appreciate your help on some points, i.e:

– Settings: could you please tell me what are you settings when you are watching regular TV? Because although, at 1st hear, I find the sound good when watching a Dolby coded movie, I find the sound really not good when watching regular tv.
                                          – How do you tell to the App when to switch soundbar position from Wall to Flat? Because when I put it Flat it is not detected automatically and when I go in the App it is set as « Wall » but when I click on it to try to change that nothing happens

In terms of aesthetic the Black Anthracite looks absolutely great, although the Dark Grey Kvar fabric shows some irregularities which I had not seen in stores on other colors. But overall looks really good.

To sum-up if I could get your help on the best settings possible it would be great, because the sound while watching TV I really don’t find it great and not sure I’ll keep it because of that unless I tweak it the right way in the settings but I did not succeed in doing that yesterday evening.

Thanks for your help.

Ps: for info my previous set-up was 3.1 with JM Lab Focal Cobalt columns and center + SVS SB2000 subwoofer.

Mark
                                          FOUNDER Member

For speaker position try:

Product Settings -> Configure -> Sound -> Speaker Position

and then select “Table” from the list then press CHANGE

I found that some settings  on ASE devices still need to be changed “the old way”, and apparently this is one of them.

For sound from the TV source, I find “Movie” more pleasing to my ears.  But this is going to be a hard one to go with someone elses recommendation.  Try a few settings and see what improves it for you.  There is a big difference between the TV source and a blu-ray source for me also, but I don’t dislike the sound from TV.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.