Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Beosound Ouverture 2 external sources Y-cable?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Madskp
    GOLD Member
      • Denmark

Having both a Beogram and now the Beotooth 5500 from Pilatomic which both are controllable via datalink I was wondering if it was possible to have 2 external sources connected to a Beosound Ouverture, or a Beocenter 9300 at the same time?

The sketch below is jus to show the concept

Skærmbillede 2024-06-02 kl. 14.00.38

I have tested it with a Beogram CD 4500 and Beocord 4500 connected via an Y cable with only ground and datalink, and the control functionality seems to work which I was also expecting as both the BS Ouverture and the BC9300 sends Tape and CD/phono commands to the AUX connection (Tape2/phono connection on the BC9300).

What I am in doubt of if it is a good idea to connect the sound outputs from two sources to each other? Could I potentially damage something? Being datalink controlled none of the devices will play at the same time, but the sound could still travel from one unit to another…

I have not seen any official setup schematics from B&O, and I guess the official AUX Y-cable was intended for other purposes.

Anyone know something please let me know

Thanks in advance

Madskp
      GOLD Member
        • Denmark

Might have found a little info regarding this. According to Soundsheavenly’s product page regarding an AUX Y splitter https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/11-7-pin-aux-splitter-dual-aux-tape-input-sockets.html

mains hum can be introduces if two mains powered sources are used.

Any thoughts are welcome

SaltineSurfer
        BRONZE Member
          • Eastbourne, UK

If you’re not using the masterlink port on your Ouverture you could connect a 1611 converter to it, and plug the tape or record deck into it’s aux in. You can pick these up for about £30 on ebay. The converter would configure itself as the video master, giving you an extra source on the ouverture. Whatever is plugged into the converters aux socket will then be accessible on the TV, SAT & V.MEM sources on the ouverture.

Rob.

Madskp
          GOLD Member
            • Denmark

If you’re not using the masterlink port on your Ouverture you could connect a 1611 converter to it, and plug the tape or record deck into it’s aux in. You can pick these up for about £30 on ebay. The converter would configure itself as the video master, giving you an extra source on the ouverture. Whatever is plugged into the converters aux socket will then be accessible on the TV, SAT & V.MEM sources on the ouverture. Rob.

Thanks for the input. I am avare of this solution, however my goal is to be able to datalink control the 2 connected units. Therefore the specific question regarding the Y-cable to datalink AUX solution

pilatomic
            BRONZE Member

Hi Madskp,

I’m a bit late to the show, but I can answer your question.

Datalink sources always drive the audio lines, and it’s up to the receiver to select which source to listen to.

Which means a simple “Y” cable can not be used to connect 2 sources, it would require an active device, that would select which of the sources audio is sent to the to Beosound.

Even then, despite the Datalink protocol being design to have a Beogram and a Beocord on the same bus (only from a data bus point of view, not the audio), I don’t think the Beosound has kept that capability in its firmware.

In short, that can’t be done without a (specially designed) active adapter.

Madskp
              GOLD Member
                • Denmark

Even then, despite the Datalink protocol being design to have a Beogram and a Beocord on the same bus (only from a data bus point of view, not the audio), I don’t think the Beosound has kept that capability in its firmware.

It has the capability. That is what I have tested without the audio signals as mentioned in the first post. I think B&O has made it this way so datalink will work wheether the AUX connection is used with a Beogram or a Beocord, although only one at a time.

Datalink sources always drive the audio lines, and it’s up to the receiver to select which source to listen to.

Which means a simple “Y” cable can not be used to connect 2 sources, it would require an active device, that would select which of the sources audio is sent to the to Beosound.

And this missing source selection caused by only one physical AUX input might be the reason for this not to be a good idea to use with an Y-cable.

It could be interesting with an external datalink controlled audio selection switch for this purpose, but the number of people who would use it might be very limited since this scenario only applies to Beosound Ouverture and Beocenter 9300 as far as I can figure out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.