Beomaster plastic trims veneering

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chartz
    BRONZE Member
      • Burgundy

Hi,

I’ve ordered 0.6 mm palissander (rosewood) veneer for my freshly restored Beomaster 1900. I’ll let you know how things go. I guess neoprene glue is the best here.
      Any advice please?

B94C4152-0270-4BBC-AF20-C394CA4DD622

sonavor
      BRONZE Member

Hi Jacques,

Yes, contact cement is what is usually used for applying a veneer to another surface.

John

chartz
        BRONZE Member
          • Burgundy

Thanks John. What do you use then?

sonavor
          BRONZE Member

I haven’t done much wood veneering but I have used a product like this on reattaching metal trim on some Beogram dust covers.  However, there are quite a few different manufacturers of that type of glue.  I didn’t save the links but there “how to” videos on veneering as well.

I believe Craig, here on the Workbench, re-veneered his Beomaster 4400 a couple of years ago.

John

Glitch
            BRONZE Member

chartz:  I haven’t had the need to veneer any of my B&O equipment, but I have used veneer on other things. I second the recommendation for contact cement to attach the veneer to plastic or metal parts. Another option is a heat activated veneer glue. I haven’t used this myself, but know people who swear by it. I assume that you are using a raw veneer and not one with a pre-applied adhesive.

How do you plan to trim the veneer? If you plan to use a razor knife be sure to pay attention to the direction of the grain so you don’t inadvertently split the veneer.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your final results.

Glitch

chartz
              BRONZE Member
                • Burgundy

Hi,

Thanks.

I do remember Craig’s job. The 4400 is all chipwood though.

The tricky part will be to cut it on the edges of the plastic trims.
                I intended to glue the raw veneer to the plastic and cut it along afterwards.

I also have a Beomaster 8000 to do, one found in a scrapyard that I saved and which actually works. So if that works I’ll do it too.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by chartz.
                chartz
                BRONZE Member
                  • Burgundy

First trim done.

The old veneer peels off easily when heated with an iron. Then white spirit removes the old glue residue.

Will do the cheeks later!

This Beomaster has now been working for many hours a day for the whole week. No issues noted, and I keep being amazed at how sensitive the tuner section is.

7C9CB3C9-5F17-41E8-9FB4-BF2E9E35543738C0478B-A114-4827-8F99-CE3CECC184D3

Glitch
                  BRONZE Member

Looks great! That is very beautiful veneer.

How are you going to handle the veneer overlap on the corners?

Veneer_Corner

Glitch

chartz
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Burgundy

Hi,

There are no corners here. Same with the BM 8000, the plastic pieces take care of the angle, and that makes the task much easier!

The Beogram is more difficult!

There is a special tool for that mind you.

chartz
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Burgundy

I’d say fair. Will do better next time! A bit teck oil and final polishing will finish it off nicely.

402BCB79-0394-43F1-BB55-D979B1D43808

ED8DA8D7-5E4C-4746-BDA5-22432F08E921

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.