Beolink 5000 finally a solution?

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLink Beolink 5000 finally a solution?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    filip_kbh
    BRONZE Member
      • Copenhagen

I was watching a video on YouTube yesterday where a guy was changing the LCD display of a pocket computer, and something was quite interesting. It made me think that maybe there is a solution to the glue of the display ribbon cable coming lose and no longer making a connection, resulting in the Beolink 5000 display missing lines.

The pocket computer is made in a similar way but the way it is connected to the board is quite interesting.

Here is a look at the new LCD display – the stripes on the border are connectors:

Skærmbillede 2023-12-14 kl. 00.36.27

Instead of using glue to make the connection, conducting strip is used between the display and the PCB. Now, perhaps something like this could be made for the Beolink?

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/SZzgoo4ZGC8?si=mMqYcii2FED33TdO&t=433

Die_Bogener
      BRONZE Member

There is no board under the display… the board and the display are seperated around 1cm.

Therefore it must be a foilcable like it was before.

The only solution for a silicon connector would be an extended Mainboard. An then there is the problem, that the silicon connector will make pressure on the display pushing it out of the metal frame…P9070034

MrRoast
        BRONZE Member
          • Nottingham, UK

Interesting idea! The Beolink 7000 has a similar conductive strip between the board and the transparent display. I hope one day someone cracks this problem!

skolesen
          BRONZE Member
            • Hvidovre, Denmark

It seems that someone has cracket the problem. In the facebook group Bang & Olufsen there is a thread where a solution is shown

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2263448640/search/?q=beolink%205000

/steffen

filip_kbh
            BRONZE Member
              • Copenhagen

From RS Baarstrøm on Facebook:

“The method is simple. You have to find a new LCD cable with a pitch of 0,55mm.
              Then you align the cable with the screen and pcb and attach it with a heat press.
              It is nearly impossible to do by eye, I had to build a simple fixture for alignment and use a microscope.”

445179852_1472705063640744_7037551044964170570_n441901522_1472704990307418_913371049724812610_n

filip_kbh
              BRONZE Member
                • Copenhagen

Hi everyone,

I am happy to report back that I was contacted by a nice fellow on Beoworld. He had seen that I had been looking for a solution for fixing the Beolink 5000 for a while, to no avail.

He wrote to me that all I had to do was rip off the old LCD cable and clean the print and screen for the glue that was used and then either send it to him or come to his place. I have three of these wonderful remotes but only one of them was working, and with a lot of pixels missing. So, obviously I was very interested. I was also a bit reluctant to remove the cable from the one remote that actually worked but I still did it.

So, I tore off the LCD cables and cleaned the screens and prints, and then I drove to his place just outside of Copenhagen where we had a great talk about Bang & Olufsen, and how we got bitten by the bug. I handed him the screens and prints, and he said that they would probably be ready within a week or so. I also received quite a few spares that I needed to make my Beolink 5000s look almost like new. The price was also very, very acceptable. Thank you!

Sure enough, after a week, he called me and said that the LCD cables had been fixed by a guy in Struer, Denmark.

I have now assembled the first of the Beolink 5000s and I wanted to share the result with you. The screens are working 100%, and I just love the result.

The screen and print are fragile so they were packaged very securely.

packageBL5000

Checking the software version:

IMG_0400

Setting up the remote for one way or two way communication:

IMG_0397

Storing:

IMG_0399

Using Link CD

IMG_0405

Testing the back display:

IMG_0403

System shut off:

IMG_0402

So there you have it. After all these years, a guy from Beoworld has the opportunity to fix the faulty LCD cable and replace it with a new one.

I am very happy right now 🙂

/Filip

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by filip_kbh.
                skolesen
                BRONZE Member
                  • Hvidovre, Denmark

I’m so glad on your behalf Fillip, that every thing turned out great with your Beolink 5000.

It was me who got in contact with Filip, as he has for a long time searched for a solution to replace the old display ribon and I actually have contact to a guy who can do the job.

The process is to strip down and clean the display and PCB for old glue.

IMG_1537 lilleIMG_1539 lille

Then send all the pieces the guy and this is what you get returned.

IMG_1580 lille

Then is just to reassemble the Beolink 5000 after a recap of the IR PCB and the enchanting result is a fully functional Beolink 5000.

IMG_1549 lilleIMG_1550 lille

/steffen

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by skolesen.
                  adyan
                  BRONZE Member

Hello,

I´m also interested to get my Beolink 5000 working again. How to proceed?

Thanks

Christian

skolesen
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Hvidovre, Denmark

Hi Christian,

For a start you could send me an PM 🙂

/steffen

adyan
                      BRONZE Member

Hi Steffen,

thanks for your answer. Since private message is not possible anymore as bronze member, maybe you can send me an email at mail@adyan.de.

Christian

skolesen
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Hvidovre, Denmark

Hi Christian,

That’s new. I used PM for a couple of weeks ago.

Any way I’ll contact you. But as I’m vacation it will take some time.

/steffen

adyan
                          BRONZE Member

Hi Steffen,

thank you in advance. Have a nice vacation.

Christian

MrRoast
                            BRONZE Member
                              • Nottingham, UK

Hi Steffen,

Catching up on this thread has made my day! Like Christian I’m very interested in getting my two 5000s working again – would you be able to pass on the details of RS Baarstrøm?

skolesen
                              BRONZE Member
                                • Hvidovre, Denmark

MrRoast,

Please send me an email on steffen.k.olesen”at”get2net”dot”dk and then we take it from there 🙂

/steffen

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by skolesen.
                                MrRoast
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Nottingham, UK

Done!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.