Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab BeoLab 8000 woofer scratching noise: can it be solved?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    KolfMAKER
    SILVER Member
      • The Netherlands

I have a BeoLab 8000 that produces scratching noise on its top woofer driver. It has serial 1072 xxxx, so I imagine that foam rot debris might have gotten into the space where the coil needs to have free movement.

When I gently push the cone, I cannot hear the scratching noise, but when I play music I can quite clearly. (Test song Earned it acoustic)

A continuity test in Ohm, measured 12 Ohm. (So, I assume the coil is not damaged. Is that correct)

My question

• Is there any way to solve this?
      • Maybe by removing the dust cap and carefully air blowing debris out, or using air suction?
      jacek1313
      BRONZE Member

Speaker unit check

This is BL8002 but probably the same speakers.

Dillen

Measuring with an ohm-meter (“DC-resistance”) will not give the impedance (“AC-resistance”).
          It may come close, but don’t count on it.

Martin

KolfMAKER
          SILVER Member
            • The Netherlands

Thnx @jacek1313 & @Dillen

@jacek1313
            : did you find this info for the 8002 in its Service Manual?
            (I haven’t found such info for the BeoLab 8000 in its Service Manual)

@Dillen
            : thanks for sharing this nuance. I understand that a multimeter in Ohm measuring mode, will measure in DC and not in AC. If so, what is the right way to measure the value for the 8000? And what should the value be (for the 8000)?

matador
              • Paris France

Hi Alls,

I joined the discussion since I share the same issue than KolfMAKER. Maybe I’ve already talked about that somewhere but in a nutshell my solution was to stick à little piece of soft foam between the fret and the surround of the scratching speaker. It must be a sacrilege but since I never listen very loud it did work to me for a while.

Now If there is any solution that do not involve tearing appart the woofer, I would be happy to hear it.

Today I noticed something that may help maybe: I dont need heavy level to make it happend. It will be very noticeable at low level in piano parts, like in some pieces of Olafur Arnalds. It is more like a vibration like if something was flapping on the cone but I’m not very good a describing that kind of noise.

Hope this helps.

KolfMAKER
              SILVER Member
                • The Netherlands

Thnx @matador !

They way you describe it, sounds very much the same to how I experience this.

Cloud you please share the Spotify link to this song?

Please also mention at what point in the song (minutes:seconds) you experience the ‘vibration’.

Thnx in advance

matador
                  • Paris France

I don’t have a spotify account so I’m unable to provide any link.

The first seconds of the first track of the album Re:member from Olafur Arnalds.

Also the very first note from the track First light from the album First light from Jonsi.

Both make the woofer vibrate.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.