Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoGram Beogram 5500 tonearm and speed issues

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    max deems
    BRONZE Member

Howdy from texas beofans, I’m fixing up a beogram 5500 as a project and had a few questions as this is the first TT I’ve worked on (I do a lot more work on cassette machines). I opened it up and this is what I found:

-belt actually had a small tear which caused the turntable to wow
      -tonearm lowers automatically but only drops the needle so much, kinda just floating above the record and giving a distorted output. I can get a crystal clear sound by raising the tracking force quite a bit (to ~1.8g, a lot for an mmc2) and tapping the tonearm so it goes down all the way and stays down with the extra weight

I bought a #2732062 replacement belt from west coast belts to start, which made the speed consistent though way faster (at both 33 and 45). There are motor speed trimpots inside, do I just need to mess with those or should I look elsewhere first? I’ve heard an over-tight belt would cause this, do I need a new one? And the tonearm, should it be lubricated or is something else off? Sorry for the million questions and THANKS in advance!

pepps
      GOLD Member
        • Kent, UK

Hi Max Deems,

Schematics are available to gold Beoworld members. These carry details on how to adjust the tonearm, etc.

Could be worth your while if you plan to repair more B&O.

max deems
        BRONZE Member

I did get the service manual, I’ll definitely use it for adjusting the tonearm. The language is pretty dense though, and I wanted to clarify about the belt tightness question before I started tweaking the trimpots

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.