Home Forums General Discussion & Questions B&O and HACS integration?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hiort
    BRONZE Member

The topic of home automation, (in that case through Theater) was discussed in another thread. I took the liberty to add to a separate thread:

Would like to understand more how home integration is a part of Theatre. Sound great. Could you share some more details on how that is achieved?

Sure! Bang & Olufsen has released its bangolufsen-hacs integration for Home Assistant, which is a brand new (and official!) integration that works with Mozart platform products, like the Theatre and Beolab 28s.

1. You need Home Assistant and HACS running to use it
      2. Add the bangolufsen-hacs repo as a custom repo to HACS
      3. Give your Theatre a static IP
      4. Go to integrations and search for Bang & Olufsen to configure it
      5. Now it’s set up and you can control the Theatre from Home Assistant

Then you can get started setting up the BeoRemote One to trigger things when you use the Light and Control menus.

1. In Home Assistant, go to Developer Tools, Events and start listening to the bangolufsen_event
      2. Hit any of the numeric, color or arrow buttons on the BeoRemote to and you should see it pop up as an event with the key pressed as the payload (you can also enter the Lights and Device menus on the remote to get a list of named commands, like ‘Cinema’, to send, which will send a function name as payload instead)
      3. Go to Automations and set up an automation with this event and payload as trigger for something, like turning on/off lights

All in all, very simple if you already have a Home Assistant instance up and running. If not then that is going to be the most challenging part of this process rather than the Theatre specific stuff, as Home Assistant can be a bit fiddly to get started with. I’ve thought of making a short YouTube video of this in action, as there is very little content on this or the Theatre in general.

Hiort
      BRONZE Member

I got a bit intrigued by this. I only have Emerge from the Mozart platform, but I have Google Home setup. @Lundmark: You refer to “Home Assistant” and “HACS”. Is that applications that is supposed to run on a server in the network?

NQVHNWI
        FOUNDER Member

I think this does warrant a new forum on Beoworld General Forum? It can be relatively complicated and there is a multitude of 3rd party add-ons as well as B&O compliant devices.

I dont think we will be serving ourselves well bolting on a automation topic to a Theatre thread, or other linkable devices?

The new post from B&O Manchester at the Barcelona IES 2023, also highlight potential with the KNX Automation platform as a compliant system.

Maybe the mods can have a think about this?

Hiort
          BRONZE Member

I did some reading on the topic of Home Assistant and HACS.

Home Assistant is a software that could run on e.g. a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4.

HACS is a manager for downloading and maintaining custom elements for Home Assistant.

B&O have published Home Assistant integration for Bang & Olufsen products: Beolab 28, Beosound Balance, Beosound Emerge, Beosound Level and Beosound Theatre (Audio only for now)  Link

According to OP its quite straight forward to setup once you have HA and HACS installed.

From what I have found out it should be possible to have Beoremote One commands to trigger events in your home automation. I would love to control my Ikea Trådfri, using a Beoremote One BT.

Chucky
            BRONZE Member

I think a new topic would be the way to go. Does this mean I can trigger any action through the function keys in HA? I still have some stuff which I would love integrate in the BLI but am limited. I can create a scene pressing a function button on the BR1 and can create anything?

Hiort
              BRONZE Member

I think a new topic would be the way to go. Does this mean I can trigger any action through the function keys in HA? I still have some stuff which I would love integrate in the BLI but am limited. I can create a scene pressing a function button on the BR1 and can create anything?

As far as I understand, HA “listen to” key press from the BR1, and you can connect certain actions to such key press, like “LIST” “LIGHT” “1”, and that sequence e.g toggle lights in living room.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.