Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Digital Powerlink

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Severed_hand_of_skywalker
    BRONZE Member
      • Toronto, Canada

Does anyone have experience using the new Digital Powerllink feature on their Theatre and Mozart speakers?  I noticed it officially launched yesterday and when I updated the app it pointed me to an FAQ.  In true B&O fashion the link they provided is dead:

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/faq/beolink-surround

Millemissen
      BRONZE Member
        • Flensborg————Danmark

Try this

MM

Millemissen
        BRONZE Member
          • Flensborg————Danmark

Please note that they are talking about Wireless as well as about Wired Digital Powerlink.

There have been DPL ports (RJ45) on many speaker products for a while now.

I wonder if e.g. the BL90 can be used wired with the BS Theatre (which has a free network port) and this way provide a digital connection instead of the old analog PL?

Edit! I’ll have to correct myself – reading on the B&O Discord reveals, that the DPL version of the 90’s is not compatible with the new Mozart-based 😥

MM

• This reply was modified 1 day, 2 hours ago by Millemissen.
          NQVHNWI
          FOUNDER Member

Details are vague and there is stuff I cannot talk about but my understanding is the the original DPL seen on products like the BL90 and 50 is a high-speed/high quality proprietary communication system between Master to Slave on the big Beolabs. Both data, post-data and music is sent from the Master to the Slave. I believe it only exists as a CAT7/8 Transfer link.

This technology may have been superseded by the last +3-5 years of BeoApp development (Settings for both speakers can be accessed and I guess communicated to each via the app/wifi directly and possibly WISA?

The new DPL is/has to be Mozart based and I believe it is a (more or less) real-time Ethernet/Wifi/Lan solution. The DPL of the BL90/50 and the DPL of Mozart-based products are not compatible or interchangeable with each other.

From my experience, adding the Moz-DPL speakers to the Theatre instead of WISA I believe somewhat simplifies the whole setup. The Theatre takes over all the controls as a DPL Master and you can even hide Moz-DPL speakers from your product page so everything is Theatre-centric.

Looks so far to be quite a unifying solution and will be probably ensure WISA (cable-less powerlink ) and Powerlink will soon die-off in future products?

Millemissen
            BRONZE Member
              • Flensborg————Danmark

The Moz-DPL tech not only simplifies the setup, it also allows for way more speakers (= the newer BS) to be used in a multichannel setup.

And yes, we probably won’t see many speakers with analog PL in the future (the BL8 is maybe the last one).

Luckily the BS Theatre has analog PL’s allowing for the use of oldschool BL there.

If there will ever be a (entry level) new Stage-like soundbar, I suppose that that will only have support for wireless Moz-DPL.

Interesting future 😀

How about a Moz-DPL receiver for adding old Beolabs, just like there was a WiSA receiver 🤔

Or how about a headphone with support for Moz-DPL !

MM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.