Home Forums General Discussion & Questions BeoWorld Feature / Problem please leave archived forums alone!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    trackbeo
    Blocked

The hello/welcome e-mail blast says, “We are currently consolidating the information from the archived forums for it to be integrated into the current forum, a process that will take time but should ultimately prove worthwhile.”  Please do not do this!  It was working just fine, once the photo links were re-named.  You may be willing to do the work to fix up all the cross-references buried within current forum articles, but you can’t touch links saved off-site and within individual users’ browser bookmarks.  Leave well enough alone.  (The old and older user interfaces were fun too, a reminder of how time-capsule your equipment and the answers you seek.:-)

Madskp
      GOLD Member
        • Denmark

To add to this, what about Google indexing? So far, seen from my point of view, it has been easier to find old threads via Google search than the internal search function. It would be a shame is this indexing was lost.

just my 2 cents

Multicare
        GOLD Member
          • Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
          On trackbeo said

The hello/welcome e-mail blast says, “We are currently consolidating the information from the archived forums for it to be integrated into the current forum, a process that will take time but should ultimately prove worthwhile.”  Please do not do this!  It was working just fine, once the photo links were re-named.  You may be willing to do the work to fix up all the cross-references buried within current forum articles, but you can’t touch links saved off-site and within individual users’ browser bookmarks.  Leave well enough alone.  (The old and older user interfaces were fun too, a reminder of how time-capsule your equipment and the answers you seek.:-)

I was under the impression that some members would like the archived forums to be integrated. having one place with all the information.
          Happy to leave alone if this is what the members would prefer.

Multicare Electronics - Bang & Olufsen classic service centre.
          Repairs and refurbishment to both old and new.
          multicare.org.uk

Multicare
          GOLD Member
            • Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
            On Madskp said

To add to this, what about Google indexing? So far, seen from my point of view, it has been easier to find old threads via Google search than the internal search function. It would be a shame is this indexing was lost.

just my 2 cents

Agree, google indexing is and would be an issue with moving across the archived forums, in time google will index the new forum and drop the old.
            This will and is happening with the current site revamp too.

Multicare Electronics - Bang & Olufsen classic service centre.
            Repairs and refurbishment to both old and new.
            multicare.org.uk

PhilLondon
            BRONZE Member

Google will re-index, that’s not a major issue. However external links will stop working, which will cause more issues.

It is possible (but may be a difficult depending on the tech used by the forum) to forward the old URLs to the new ones, Google and everything else will be fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.