Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoGram Beogram 8000 – massive hum

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dillen

Yes.

Martin

notwist
      BRONZE Member

Hi all,

I reinstated my beo 8000 system as I procured the desk for it. Looks very nice.

Sadly my beogram 8000 has a massive hum. It sounds fine, just a big hum. I connected through din with the beomaster 8000.

I tried several amplifiers to be sure, but the hum is from the beogram.

It is obviously some sort of grounding issue, but where?

Regards,

Bert

Dillen

Are you using an original B&O Beogram datalink cable?
          If not – that would be a clear reason.
          You cannot use a Beocord cable as it is not double-shielded.

Martin

notwist
          BRONZE Member

Hi Martin,

OK that might be the problem. But how do I identify the correct cable? I have a large container with din cables.

Is there a difference between regular and datalunk cables? Do they have more pins?

Thanks!

Bert

Mark-sf
            BRONZE Member

The correct cable did have a Phono label at one time to distinguish it from a Beocord cassette cable. Datalink cables have 7-pins instead of 5 and pins 6 and 7 are removable as they have a small screwdriver slot at their tips.

notwist
              BRONZE Member

Thanks.

I think I’ve found the correct cable. It is labeled PH (phomo) I think. One end has 7 pins and the other end has 5 pins and 2 screws.

Should I remove the screws or leave them be? I’m not sure this is the sane cable I used when the system was last in use.

Regards,

Bert

Mark-sf
                BRONZE Member

That is the correct cable. Without the pins in one connector, you will not be able to control the turntable from the remote control. It will play fine and should not exhibit hum,

notwist
                  BRONZE Member

OK this works, no more hum. I also tried it on a beomaster 6500 (from the 90’s). This also works without a hum. Sadly the datalink doesn’t seem to work, when I use the remote to stop / start the beogram it doesn’t do anything. I can hear some electronic noise though, over the speakers. Odd.

Nevertheless, many thanks!

Bert

Ps: how would I connect the beogram to an older beo that uses the 5 pin fin? Do I then remove the 2 screws from the cable?

notwist
                    BRONZE Member

Check, all clear!

Happy my 8000 system is working well now. Looks fantastic in the official furniture.

Regards, Bert

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.