Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab Beolab 8000 with no power

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    beoladdy
    BRONZE Member

I’ve had a couple of Beolab 8000s for a while now and both have worked well except for humming when connected to RCA. After being stored for a year now only one of them is working. Found that the nut on both RCA connectors was loose which I tightened and now the humming is gone from the working speaker. There was foam rot, but it seems the PCB’s are in good condition.

– There’s no click from the relay
      – No red or green LED
      – There’s no voltage across the pin 7 + 9 or pin 10 + 12 on T2 which should be at 20V.

Although it visually looks fine I’m thinking T2 might need a replacement, but maybe there’s something I’m not considering… ?

If T2 needs to be replaced, where can I get one? (shipping to Norway)
      Is there also a place where I can get replacement foam? I’m also changing the foam on the working speaker.

Luke466
      BRONZE Member

From Beowrold notebook-

https://beocentral.com/notebook/beolab-8000

Beolab 8000
        24th October 2008

It is not unusual to find these loudspeakers to be completely dead with not even the red standby indicator showing. The cause is usually the standby transformer, the primary winding burns out. B&O now supply only the complete amplifier as a replacement part, this is a very expensive way to deal with such a simple fault. An alternative is to source your own transformer, RS Components 504-363 being one alternative. The pin arrangement is slightly different so some cutting and bridging of the trackwork of the PCB will be necessary. [Beolab 8000]”

KolfMAKER
        SILVER Member
          • The Netherlands

@ beoladdy

Very interesting. I have a BeoLab 8000 that started having problems with switching ON>OFF>ON continuously. See this thread.

After measuring all over the PSU PCB I found inconsistent voltage on T2: 20 volt on pin 7 & 9, and 23 volt on pin 10 & 12.

Just a few days later, the BeoLab was completely dead, like you describe. Measuring T2 again shows: 230 volt on pin 1 & 6, and 0 volt on pin 7 & 9 and pin 10 & 12. So the same situation as yours.

@ Luke466

Thanks very much for sharing your experience with the RS Pro replacement trafo!

So thank you both, I consider my problem with the dead BeoLab 8000 solved.
          Though I will post again when I have replaced T2.

beoladdy
          BRONZE Member

Thanks @ Luke466

@ KolfMAKER

I ordered this replacement power supply: https://kosetrading.com/product/bang-olufsen-bo-beolab-8000-mk1-transformer-part-pcb-1-8006038/

It might work for now, but let me know if the RS trafo works for you. I might need to replace it at a later time.

Just wondering if the 15V is enough to power the system. Hope it works

KolfMAKER
            SILVER Member
              • The Netherlands

@ beoladdy

Yeah, I have seen the Kosetrading part. Unfortunately it’s the whole PSU-PCB, not only T2. And also it’s a lot of money to solve a dead T2 trafo.

Sure, I will let you know about the RS Pro trafo.

Beobuddy
              FOUNDER Member

I can provide the correct transformer for 230V market. Fit’s in the original position.
                PM me for details.

Ebay and other versions with 15V are incorrect.

Beobuddy.

KolfMAKER
                SILVER Member
                  • The Netherlands

Thanks for reminding Beobuddy.
                  I have just sent a PM for ordering a T2.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.