Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab Beolab 5 Reliability

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    pauljrog
    BRONZE Member

Hi,

What do you guys think about the Beolab 5 speakers reliability?

I have  had a pair of Beolab 5 speakers in the past with no reliability issues, regrettably sold them but I’m thinking about getting another pair.

On ebay UK there have been 3 pairs of Beolab 5 speakers recently with faults, probably needing new chassis, so just wondering if most of these speakers now they are getting old will fail?

Is it just an issue with the older mk1 speakers and the newer mk2 are more reliable, or maybe they are just newer?

Also does anyone know how much B&O charge for a chassis exchange?

Thanks

Paul.

Beo911
      BRONZE Member

Hi,

my BL5’s are from 2013 and both had their main chassis replaced within 2022. Have to say, that they run at least 4-6 hours every day.

The replacement was approx. 750 Euros each, done by an authorized service partner. The local B&O shop wanted to charge approx. 1500 Euros each, i.e doubled the sum!

So, i would assume, that it might just be a question of time, maybe also depending on how intensive they were used.

Best regards

Tom

pauljrog
        BRONZE Member

Thanks for your reply,

So maybe chassis reliability is based on operating time?

Is there are usage clock?

Beo911
          BRONZE Member

I was asking the service people exactly that question and they replied, that the more “heat cycles” (they used a different expression) the mains chassis get, the more prone they would become for failure. They also pointed out, that the newer BL 50 and 90 designs put way less thermal stress on the components as they operate at lower temperatures, even when played intensively.

As for the “clock” … i don’t know.

After all, my BL5 had many intensive and loud listening time. Having to spend less than 10% of their purchase price now after 10 years to have them refurbished electronically is o.k for me. They were a lot of fun and pleasure to use until now and i hope, that they will be for the next decade.

The bigger problem was and still is the supply with replacement parts. It can take weeks or months, until B&O can provide them. It is time for them to install a classic parts division inside the factory, in order to keep their heritage products alive and working. Just heard, that there are hardly any parts anymore for BS9000 Mk1’s … no more cd-drives for example.

NQVHNWI
            FOUNDER Member

My experience on BL5s (2003 to 2016 – mk1s IIRC), was I went through an upper tweeter on one speaker. Needed to replace both to keep the same/equal performance. £150 each including fitting in 2014.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.