ml powerbox alternative

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions ml powerbox alternative

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Madskp
    GOLD Member
      • Denmark
      • Topics Started 35
      • Total Posts 826

Madskp, B3OHACK3R, would you believe that a BeoLink Passive provides the required MasterLink voltage (as the 1611 does)? I do have one of those lying around. With two CXs and an IR eye (and a remote) I could maybe also keep the number of sound factory boxes limited to two. Regards, Johan

I would think so as it is a link room product like the BL2000, although it has some converter functions in it

Madskp
      GOLD Member
        • Denmark
        • Topics Started 35
        • Total Posts 826

I can try to test it if I can find the time later this weekend

Tignum
        GOLD Member
          • Netherlands
          • Topics Started 8
          • Total Posts 365

That is very kind! Regards, Johan

Madskp
          GOLD Member
            • Denmark
            • Topics Started 35
            • Total Posts 826

Interesting. Roughly what I expected to be in there. The 5-pin chip is an unregulated charge pump used for inverting the + 5V from USB to -5V. The smaller ones on the other side of the board are indeed some diodes and two resistors. They are used for providing power to the data lines.

Ok so if I understand correctly the ML power box only deliver the 0.25/-0.25V for the datalines and not the higher voltages on the pink and blue wires?
            What could be the reason for not having the supply of the data voltages in the BLC NL/ML? Is it because there can only be one unit providing it in a ML network?
            B3OHACK3R
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 4
              • Total Posts 148

Ok so if I understand correctly the ML power box only deliver the 0.25/-0.25V for the datalines and not the higher voltages on the pink and blue wires?

Yes, it provides the termination voltages for the datalines and 5V to the ML Power + pin. Probably ML Power – is also supplied with -5V but I don’t think any of the common ML devices uses that. As I said earlier everything will communicate just fine if you provide it with the data termination voltage and 5V on the pink + blue/white cable.

What could be the reason for not having the supply of the data voltages in the BLC NL/ML?

I have never looked into a BLC and there is no public schematic available. I don’t know if it is using the old ML ASIC or a discrete solution. In any case I put my bets on a hardware design issue. They either may have just forget about that feature during development or initially it was never planned for the BLC to become a master. Who knows…

Is it because there can only be one unit providing it in a ML network?

Technically you could get away with multiple “Power Master” if they have at least some reverse current protection.  Maybe two or three would still work okay but the cleanest way is of course only having one.

Madskp
              GOLD Member
                • Denmark
                • Topics Started 35
                • Total Posts 826

Yes, it provides the termination voltages for the datalines and 5V to the ML Power + pin. Probably ML Power – is also supplied with -5V but I don’t think any of the common ML devices uses that. As I said earlier everything will communicate just fine if you provide it with the data termination voltage and 5V on the pink + blue/white cable.

What could be the reason for not having the supply of the data voltages in the BLC NL/ML?

I have never looked into a BLC and there is no public schematic available. I don’t know if it is using the old ML ASIC or a discrete solution. In any case I put my bets on a hardware design issue. They either may have just forget about that feature during development or initially it was never planned for the BLC to become a master. Who knows…

Is it because there can only be one unit providing it in a ML network?

Technically you could get away with multiple “Power Master” if they have at least some reverse current protection. Maybe two or three would still work okay but the cleanest way is of course only having one.

Thanks for these answers. Helps a lot understanding how a ML system works.

Madskp
                GOLD Member
                  • Denmark
                  • Topics Started 35
                  • Total Posts 826

I can try to test it if I can find the time later this weekend

I have tried now, and the Beolink passive provides 0V on both power and data lines when not connected to other ML equipment

Madskp
                  GOLD Member
                    • Denmark
                    • Topics Started 35
                    • Total Posts 826

One thing that just came to me if you have the Beolink passive in mind. If it makes sense could  you use the BLC with an IR eye as the linkroom and the the passive connected via powerlink to drive passive speakers?

The powerlink cable has to be fully wire for this to work

Tignum
                    GOLD Member
                      • Netherlands
                      • Topics Started 8
                      • Total Posts 365

Hello Madskp, that is a good hint, did not think of that option yet. And to be complete, even the fully wired PowerLink cable might not be enough to get it working 🙂 https://beoworld.org/forums/topic/beoplay-connection-hub-beolink-passive/

My latest plan is to use a BLC (I do have a ‘JOIN’ IR eye already) and two BL7-4s (that I now have as well). I will see to feed the L/R speakers with Left and Right signals only. I took the BL2000 to the garage for a ‘fit’ and I fear it will be a bit small in the 3x6m space. And now I have a purpose for those 7-4s!

The BL2000 will move to the garden I reckon (cabled).

Thanks, Johan

Madskp
                      GOLD Member
                        • Denmark
                        • Topics Started 35
                        • Total Posts 826

And to be complete, even the fully wired PowerLink cable might not be enough to get it working ? https://beoworld.org/forums/topic/beoplay-connection-hub-beolink-passive/

Yes that’s right. This might also be an issue with the BLC

My latest plan is to use a BLC (I do have a ‘JOIN’ IR eye already) and two BL7-4s (that I now have as well). I will see to feed the L/R speakers with Left and Right signals only. I took the BL2000 to the garage for a ‘fit’ and I fear it will be a bit small in the 3x6m space. And now I have a purpose for those 7-4s!

Talking about an upgrade 🙂 But this will avoid those extra boxes for sure (unless you count the 7-4s as boxes).

The BL2000 will move to the garden I reckon (cabled).

Or you could get an extra BLC now that you have the powerbox 😉

Tignum
                        GOLD Member
                          • Netherlands
                          • Topics Started 8
                          • Total Posts 365

Hi Madskp, I think one or two posts got lost :-). Good plan and minimum of boxes! I now have one compatible IR eye, two freshly powdercoated BL7-4s and will get a BLC on Saturday. In my garage project I will make sure that I feed the 7-4s only with L and R signals respectively. I will do so in a double RJ45 wall outlet, keeping one socket fully wired, and one L or R.

Regards, Johan

Madskp
                          GOLD Member
                            • Denmark
                            • Topics Started 35
                            • Total Posts 826

You are right. I remember you allready had a post about the 7-4’s. But great plan to keep it simple and now you have the ML powerbox for other stuff.

And if nothing else we learned a little about the “magic” going on in the ML powerbox

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions ml powerbox alternative

• You must be logged in to create new topics.