BeoLab 3 vs. BeoLab 12-2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TKWie
      • Topics Started 2
      • Total Posts 3

Dear BeoWorld community,

I am thinking about swaping my BeoLab 12-2s for a pair oft BeoLab 3s. I have a BeoLab 11 subwoofer to back the bass reproduction.

Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to listen to a pair of 3s so I was wondering wheather they sound any better than the 12-2s.

My room is quite small, about 11qm but 3,4m ceeling hight and I sit only about 1.3m away.

What would you advise to be the better speakers?

Best regards

Thorben

Mr10Percent
        • Topics Started 8
        • Total Posts 456

I have never heard the BL12-2 but have plenty of BL3s.

I would state the BL3s are 2003-5 tech, the 12s a little later. However, it is likely they are just different form factors of the same/similar thing. Although good, I think todays modern Labs will probably blow them away.  The BL11 will however lift both speakers in terms of tonal response.

I think the question to ask is what are your labs used for (primary music, surround etc..) and how do they fit with your living and decor?

TKWie
          • Topics Started 2
          • Total Posts 3

Thanks for the response.

I only use them for primary music, I often play records on my turntable through them. I enjoy the precision of the Sound and I enjoy listening to them at a higher volume.
          In my opinion the 12-2s sound great, especially for their size. But in comparison to other speakers, for instance the BeoLab 18s, they sound quite flat and hollow. I use them with a Marantz Pre-Amp with Audyssey Room Correction with wich they sound pretty good, however listening to them in normal mode with Room Calibration turned off, they sound pretty bad like described above.

I was wondering if the Lab 3s had a more rounded sound to them, not being quite as flat sounding?

Best Regards

Thorben

9_LEE
            • Eastbourne England
            • Topics Started 14
            • Total Posts 43

I’d say the Lab 3’s just about edge it – but don’t expect huge sound from a wafer thin cabinet, or a very small cabinet.  The Lab 3’s have more driver area (if you add the three up) but at the end of the day they’re still small speakers so won’t exactly rattle your teeth.

If you want big sound from a small cabinet, look at BeoLab 17’s.  Vastly underrated and very much overlooked.

Lee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds