Beolab 17 best streaming option

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Beolab 17 best streaming option

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    fireofthemind
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 3

Hello,

I bought a pair of Beolab 17 and now I am looking for a streamer in the price range between 100 € and 1000 €. I would like to connect it to the speakers via Toslink or Wisa and use Spotify/Tidal. Thought about the Beosound Core, Bluesound Node, System Audio Stereo Hub or the Wiim Pro, but I have no idea, which one gives me the best sound quality. Maybe there are other options I don’t know about. Can someone give me a recommendation?

Thank you

Mr10Percent
        • Topics Started 8
        • Total Posts 456

I purchased an EOL Auralic Altair G1 for my office which are connected to a pair of BL17. This is running at approx £1500 used (the G1.1 and G2.1 are a lot more) and more than your budget indicates.

Three points in this:
        First, the BL17s, nice that they are are not good enough for the Altair, so I think your budget is more appropriate at the BL17 level

Second, I found the RCA to RJ45 did not trigger the BL17 on/off. The RCA to RCA works just fine.

Third, your streamer will need to have either electronic attenuation adjustment (-3, -6 and -12dB with -6 and -12dB being useful) or an external attenuator (variable or fixed) which when I attempted this…it sounded very bad.

A BSCore May be a good match and fully integrate into a B&O system and match the qualities of the BL17s. Personally, I did not like the core playing into the 90s so never tested it on the 17s as I have already migrated to an Auralic streaming system across everything in my home.

Curly
          • Topics Started 8
          • Total Posts 54

I use a BS Core to drive my BL17s. I also tested a Bluesound Node 2i, which only worked well through optical Toslink; RCA connections did not allow for the speakers to shut down as they normally would. But the Node 2i worked well through Toslink. I did not hear a difference in sound between the two so I ultimately returned the Node 2i and kept the Core to maintain complete B&O functionality through the app.

I posted a lengthy thread about this on the old Beoworld forum. If you care to google it, you may find it useful.

But in short, either work and I did not hear a difference in sound between the two that swayed me either way so for simplicity, I chose to stay within the B&O ecosystem.

fireofthemind
            • Topics Started 1
            • Total Posts 3

Ok, thank you for the information. Just read your post on the old forum. Will probably go for the BS Core then. I’m wondering if there will be a new version/successor of the BS Core soon.

BeoCom 1401
              • Topics Started 2
              • Total Posts 14

Just to add here, as a 17 owner, I found the Node to be a vastly superior product to the Core. I don’t own it anymore (have a Theatre now) but I sold my Core for a Node and never missed the Core for a second. The Node has eARC HDMI that works flawlessly, supports way more streaming services, and costs far less. I also had no issues powering my 17s using the RCA outs. I know this merely one person’s anecdotal experience, but I felt compelled to share. Good luck.

fireofthemind
                • Topics Started 1
                • Total Posts 3

Thank you for sharing your experience. Think I will test both the Node and the Core and then make a decision.

Curly
                  • Topics Started 8
                  • Total Posts 54

The Node has eARC HDMI that works flawlessly, supports way more streaming services, and costs far less.

A great point. If you plan to use your BL17s with a TV, then Node, with HDMI, is a great option. And as I said in my lengthy thread on the old forum, the Bluesound OS is superb and definitely superior to B&O’s app.

Trying both is the best option, I agree! Let us know what you choose.
                  Severed_hand_of_skywalker
                    • Toronto, Canada
                    • Topics Started 9
                    • Total Posts 169

I have the same setup and I used this product for years with the 17’s, turntable and sub-woofer hooked up and it all worked perfectly.

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxc-50/index.html

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds