beogram 4002 platter question

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions beogram 4002 platter question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    beostuff
      • Topics Started 8
      • Total Posts 17

I have a pit marked platter on a 4002 turntable. The only way it seems to be able to remove them is to remove the spokes and refinish the platter. Can someone give me an idea how to remove the spokes? I saw something about putting it in the oven then removing them but can’t find that link. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

spassmaker
        • Topics Started 19
        • Total Posts 115

Hi

I have had a similar problem with a platter from a beogram 4xxx, sad I can´t remember which model it was.

The subplatter (where the belts runs) was not glued to the top aluminium platter with the ribs, there are some models with this seperated platters.

So the ribs are inserted from the top of the aluminium platter and melted to a nearly flat stucture at the backside of the aluminium platter.

There  I cutted this melted part away and pried the the ribs out from the backside.

I sanded the platter with some 600 -800 grain paper on a cordless drill with an attached woodplate where I could fix the aluminium platter with two countersunk srews. The screws will make a little mark at the  holes for the ribs but the ribs are covering this mark if you tighten the screws not to hard.

Here is a picture of the sanded platter, sadly I took only one picture

20200411_192222

After sanding I gave it  layer of clear coat and pushed back the ribs in.

They are pressed fitted and must not be glued in place again.

Watch out before how the ribs are mounted there is and out- and inside.

So the only thing that is needed is a way to seperate the subplatter from the alumium platter…maybe hot water woul help, I don´t know.

I wish you good luck!

Kind regards

Christian

beostuff
          • Topics Started 8
          • Total Posts 17

thanks. i did get the spokes off and attached it to a drill and sanded it down. Doesn’t look as good as yours tho. thanks for the info on not gluing the spokes back in – as I was about to do exactly that!

spassmaker
            • Topics Started 19
            • Total Posts 115

Hi

Trolle some different  sandingpaper, or some Kind of sanding wool like this:

https://score-schleifwerkzeuge.de/3m-scotch-brite-vliesrolle-cf-rl-100x1000mm-a-vfn-109420.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwm8WZBhBUEiwA178UnHSfhWf4U67qUaYbCnQoIyeLwv1NRvp96YR0i2GKnt6qROlqbFN6ZxoCL-8QAvD_BwE

to get a smooth surface.

And try different speeds of the Drill

For clear coat take matte finish

Regards Christian

beostuff
              • Topics Started 8
              • Total Posts 17

actually got it back together. And it’s not bad. I could have done better but pretty happy with it. thanks for the help. Now to adjust the height

beostuff
                • Topics Started 8
                • Total Posts 17

one question. How did you raise up the platter to be level with the surrounds? the brass screw/nut won’t go high enough. Did you add some shims underneath the platter?

thx

spassmaker
                  • Topics Started 19
                  • Total Posts 115
                  • As you removed the ribs the platter will loose,about 1 to 2 mm height.
                  • Tage some ( maybe 6 around the outer edge of the subplatter) felt pads to raise to desired heisst.
                  matador
                    • Paris France
                    • Topics Started 48
                    • Total Posts 689

Wasn’t it something about antistatic coating that was very fragile and shall not be removed?

Did you experience anything about that after your works?

Thank you.

spassmaker
                      • Topics Started 19
                      • Total Posts 115

Hi

Didn’t heard about a special antistatic coating, indeed the original coating is very fragile, never use rough cleaning tools like scotch sponges .

I’ve used a thin layer 2 K clear coat wich is more resistant against scratches and touching.

Had never any problems with static on vinyl.

Regards

Christian

Dillen
                        • Topics Started 4
                        • Total Posts 389

Plastic lacquer?
                        I would imagine that could cause static problems.

Martin

beostuff
                          • Topics Started 8
                          • Total Posts 17

Just putting it together. Thanks for the advice. I’ll let you know if there are any static problems

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds