Wiring latest Beoosund speakers

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Wiring latest Beoosund speakers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sia43
      • Topics Started 14
      • Total Posts 89

Hi,

Almost all newer Beosound speakers (Level, Emerge, Balance, and even Beoplay M3 and 5) have a USB-C port (unfortunately, power supply only, I’ve asked B&O already), an ethernet connection for internet and a mini-jack line-in (combined optical).

I have a few of the named speakers and am planning to hard-wire the speakers (due to well know connectivity issues). I wouldn’t say I like to draw several cables across the room, which is why I would like to see if it is possible to use a CAT-7 cable and add a USB-C, ethernet and a mini-jack connection at both ends of the same cable, without distorting the signals?

Or, even better, can all these signals be transferred using a USB-C cable (thinner than CAT-7)? I use a USB-C hub with ethernet, power, mouse, keyboard, HDMI, several USBs and a card reader, connecting all the named signals to my Lenovo computer, so it should be possible.

Maybe Steve, Sound heavenly, can shed some light on this issue?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
        • Topics Started 59
        • Total Posts 328

Hi

Sorry for the brief reply as I am working overseas for a few days and responding on a tiny phone screen.

Cabling the speakers is usually the best option for a reliable connection, the key is to get the Ethernet connection to your router in place via Cat cables.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me via the link below with the full details of your setup and I will be happy to help further via email.

Thanks for your patience.

Kind regards Steve.

Guy
        GOLD Member
          • Warwickshire, UK
          • Topics Started 16
          • Total Posts 1,046

I would like to see if it is possible to use a CAT-7 cable and add a USB-C, ethernet and a mini-jack connection at both ends of the same cable, without distorting the signals?

My understanding is that if you are not running gigabit ethernet (or PoE) then there are potentially two spare twisted pairs in CAT7. I reckon you could possibly pass analogue audio or power over the spare connectors but not both. I think the usb c power connection may be a problem because usb c uses the other data pins to confirm power requirements etc – it is not just a dumb voltage supply.

It could well be worth experimenting, in which case get some of these to make it easier to swap connections around. Also, I would find some cheaper experimental devices rather than trialling with B&O equipment!

(I was once going to trial passing ethernet to a smart TV over a spare in-wall hdmi cable – it may well have worked but I never got past the concept stage and have since moved house)

Sia43
            • Topics Started 14
            • Total Posts 89

Thanks, Steve and Guy, for your replies.

Yes, I believe experimenting is probably the easiest way (if someone hasn’t done it already).

The idea came to me at work. I have one of these slim notebook computers with only two USB-C connections, and one of them is also serving as a power supply. I have, however, connected ethernet, HDMI, a USB typ3 for the keyboard and mouse, and a charging cable for my iPhone through one of the all-in-one hub solutions, and it still has a card reader and a few additional empty USB connectors left. All of these are connected to my computer with a single USB-C cable. So a USB-C cable shouldn’t have any problem transferring power, ethernet and line signal.

I sent an email to B&O, and they told me that the USB-C on BS-Level and BS-Emerge are for powering only, but I don’t know about Balance or any other BS speakers.

The question is why B&O don’t provide a much more elegant solution, provide easier connectivity for the customers and save space on the device, which would make it easier for them to design as well?

Anyways, I will order two combined ethernet+USB-C and two line-in + USB-C cables (see the picture) and will update the post once I’ve managed to test my hypothesis.

However, if anyone has already tested this, it would be great to hear about your experiment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.