Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Search

  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    I tried out the 004 gauge shims instead of the 003 shims but there wasn't enough space. So the shims I am using are the 005 + 003 gauge acetate strips. Since those fit nicely (all the way to the bottom) where the cone is straight and level I went ahead and glued the surround to the frame. Tomorrow I will give the driver a test.
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Thu, Apr 12 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    Continuing on with the other three woofer drivers that are ready to shim, I started with the 10 inch driver that is from the cabinet with the ruined 8 inch driver. I picked up some sheets of acetate from my local art supply store. They only carried three sizes: 0.003 gauge, 0.004 gauge and 0.005 gauge. So I bought one sheet of each. Starting with the 005 gauge I cut a strip that was 5 cm wide and 11 cm long. I cut away the dust cap of the driver and inserted the acetate strip in the slot the cone
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Thu, Apr 12 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    Now....bad news As I prepared to attach the surround on the second MS150 8 inch driver I noticed the cone was frozen. It doesn't budge. I opened the dust cap and sure enough one side looks fused together. It must have happened when I was handling the driver during cleaning I think because I'm sure it was okay when I pulled it out of the cabinet. Quite disappointed. I will have to temporarily borrow one of the 8 inch drivers from my S120.2 speakers later when I am ready to test these MS150's
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Wed, Apr 11 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    Next I glued the 10 inch surround to the 10 inch woofer cone. The 8 inch driver cone is a plastic type material (very smooth). The 10 inch driver cone is more of a paper type material. The surround for the 10 inch woofer looked like a good fit but the amount of foam surround that contacts the cone is less that what the 8 inch driver had. On the 10 inch surround I applied the glue to the edge of the cone making the width of the glue trail the width of the old glue markings. The surround attached nicely
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Wed, Apr 11 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    On this first surround I applied the glue to the underside of the foam surround. It is angled to meet the angle of the cone. In the picture with the glue I had to snap a quick picture just to show what the glue looked like. Before I attached the surround I made sure it was spread evenly. The glue I have used on all my refoam projects is some glue I got from Simply Speakers. I know some people on the forum here haven't liked their surrounds but I have bought glue and grill cloth fabric from them
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Wed, Apr 11 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    One last picture tonight. I pulled the two woofer drivers out of the second MS150 cabinet. The 10 inch was just as easy as the first one to separate the driver from the gasket and frame. The 8 inch was harder. The gasket had been glued to the foam surround. The speaker was probably assembled before the surround and properly dried or someone just decided to glue the gasket. There was some oil on the side between the frame ring and the gasket so maybe someone before me had attempted to separate the
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Mon, Apr 9 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    This is the first speaker 10 inch woofer ready for the new surround...but I am going to remove and prepare the woofers from the other MS150 speaker first. I sanded out a couple of the rust patches of the speaker frame and hit it with a little semi-gloss black paint.
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Mon, Apr 9 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    The old glue on the metal frame was harder to scrape off. The glue on the cone was also tricky as it wanted to pull up paper from the cone. I lost a small bit of paper but I didn't want the layer of old glue. There was also glue that went over the edge of the cone to the back. I think I got it cleaned up pretty good in the end. The cone material is stiff all the way around and out to the edges.
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Mon, Apr 9 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    Here is a closer look at the 10 inch driver before cleaning. You can from the dust and insect remains that this speaker has not been in service for some time. In fact, on the spider underneath the cone I found a real, live spider. Kind of humorous. It is no longer a live spider.
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Mon, Apr 9 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    It looks like I will only get one set of 8 inch and 10 inch drivers cleaned up today. The 10 inch driver was more work to clean and prepare than the 8 inch driver. Here is a picture of the 10 inch driver after removing it from the enclosure. The 8 inch driver is actually heavier than than this 10 inch driver.
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Mon, Apr 9 2012
Page 4 of 293 (2924 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL