Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Search

  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    It's a great day outside today. I started to get things in order so I can assemble some working MS150 speakers. Since I need to borrow one 8 inch woofer from my S120.2 speakers I pulled one of them down and opened it up. Here is one of my S120.2 speakers with the grill covers and bass port grill removed.
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Sat, Apr 21 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    Success. I completed the re-assembly of the midrange driver tonight and it works. The tone appears to same as the other midrange now. I am glad I use the green bottle Aleene's (Tack It Over-and-Over) Tacky glue on the dome lip that mates with the plastic frame. To get the voice coil into the magnet base I needed to have the dome and coil assembly where it was easier to move around than when it is flat against the frame. Once I got the coil into the base correctly I was able to snap everything
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Wed, Apr 18 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    I glued the coil in the dome and the dome to the frame today. For the coil I used the same clear glue I used for the surrounds. It can take movement but it bonds very fast and doesn't take much for it to hold tight. I used a Q-tip cut in half at an angle. I like the original Q-tip that has a solid paper shaft (not a hollow plastic tube like the newer ones). The paper shaft part is good for mixing glue, applying glue, etc. With just a dab of glue on the Q-tip end, I slowly applied it to the ridge
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Tue, Apr 17 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    In this picture... Is this how the phaselink midrange driver should re-assemble? With the rubber/plastic dome laying into the plastic frame, then the voice coil mounting to the inside of the dome? Since the side of the ring that meets the dome has residue glue on it I am thinking that is what Step1 meant about the coil and dome coming un-glued. Hopefully that is also the issue with the sound problem. I won't go any further until I get confirmation but jumping ahead to the next question - Assuming
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Tue, Apr 17 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    I found my circuit sealer and put a coating over the solder and repaired wire. It looks like the voice coil just lays into the slot of the magnet part and snaps into the plastic frame. Comparing this one to the good one - both measure 7.2 ohms. I am getting sound out of the repaired midrange now but it isn't right....much to faint. When I connect a 500 Hz sine wave to the good phaselink the tone is strong even with the voltage level down around 65mV. The repaired driver is barely noticeable.
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Tue, Apr 17 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    There is just one layer and 15-16 turns. I used the pointed razor knife to scrape insulation material away from the wire I had to join. Then I applied a little flux paste and tinned the bare wire ends. After that I bent the loose wire where I could hold the coil in one hand with the two bare wire ends side by side. With the other hand I tinned the smallest solder tip I have and applied a bead of solder. The first picture shows that first join. It served the purpose of attaching the wires so I could
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Tue, Apr 17 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    Dillen had me check the resistance of the midrange (a 3 inch phaselink driver) to see if it was open. It was so I took it apart and one of the coil leads had broken off. Here is a picture of the coil - one lead is still attached and the other is broken. I will need to scrape a little insulation off and see if I am steady enough to reconnect it (tomorrow).
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Mon, Apr 16 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    Correction on picture of 8 inch driver dampening tube. I was checking my work and realized the plastic driver sleeve for the 8 inch woofer has an indention (lip) half way up the sleeve. So the I don't think the sleeve goes all the way into the paper tube as I show in the earlier picture. The tacky glue is slow drying so it was easy to reposition the sleeve where it needs to be. Here is an updated picture.
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Mon, Apr 16 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    I plan on taping off the plastic ring...maybe even removing it it if is easy. On your earlier words Søren: "... you really run into everything possible with these speakers" That set off an alarm in my head. I have only concerned myself with the woofers and the crossovers. What about the midrange and tweeters? So I just tested the midrange and tweeter drivers. One midrange is dead. So out of 2 tweeters, 2 midranges, 2 eight inch woofers and 2 ten inch subwoofers - I have one bad midrange
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Mon, Apr 16 2012
  • Re: A Beovox MS150 Project

    The wood cabinet is the another task I will have to do. Here is a picture of the bottom of one of the cabinets. Both look the same. You can see the remains of the duct tape that held on a plastic screen. I am guessing the screen was to keep rats/mice out of the bass port while the speaker cabinet was in storage (surely it wasn't used like that). My plan is to remove the remaining duct tape residue, tape off the black plastic bass port trim, then lightly sand the bottom of the speaker. After that
    Posted to The Workbench (Forum) by sonavor on Mon, Apr 16 2012
Page 2 of 299 (2983 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL