BeoMaster 5 motherboard

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    beomaster11
      • Topics Started 4
      • Total Posts 16

I have a Beomaster 5 without Beosound 5 that no longer boots up. Does not give a picture. Power supplies are all in order. Network lights are on and flashing.
      Is there anything to repair or just replace the motherboard?
      Where can I get a replacement motherboard?

Regards,

Roland

Rendboell
        • Topics Started 4
        • Total Posts 27

Hello Roland,

So you get no picture at all when connected to a display. No startup picture with Beomaster 5 (and Beomaster 5 recovery)?

Did it just stop working?

Can you get into the bios?

I use an old Logitech USB keybord and mouse (K520 / M310). Start the beomaster with the button on the back and pres “Del” several times to log into the bios.

Then try booting with Hiren’s BootCD From USB Flash Drive (USB Pen Drive).

https://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

If it works, then you should be able to re-install. I prefer to make a clean installation with the service tool and to update via bang & olufsen servers.

The servicetool is a 4 GB usb flash drive, which I might be able to transfer to you, if needed.

Unfortunately, the motherboards often fail, but it could also be the harddrive.

If it is the standard mechanical drive, then you should be able to hear or feel it spinning. The harddrive is pretty easy to replace with a SSD drive, eg. WD Blue Nand 1TB SSD. SSD’s with Marvell Controller 88SS1074 works.

I have attached the service manual for Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5 for info on how to replace motherboard and harddrive.

You might be able to finde a new (old stock) or used motherboard on eBay.

Look for VIA EPIA EX15000G like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274190535857?hash=item3fd7078cb1:g:gcoAAOSwKpNeFU87&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4Mn0pnDFtI3rp%2F%2BxbFd7BwA%2F816pRF9EYiDsJP9nOKyMmhR7dzymLL6IM%2FnHW8t%2BjU7jFcV%2FsmWvgvCyiyZETqE3rW37%2F%2BJ4a2FpN2SBE%2Bjbe1uETWj6XMhyvOye475v3jd617wLDfNiT8UICpOd0ASNRQJumdeT8gd8J7Ho8QAXlU7NTb6T4WGyFDBRo74S5pn%2FG3bGS39pbKlK03sIXm6FLPeFCZ%2BvYJFRjoTgfgKgAl7ThFZJZMwuk7sL3%2BRAlnMt6IH566M9SHgA6Lvmk7d4ScPITZEv4iyjtGaFvfAc%7Ctkp%3ABFBMkpGZ_chh

If needed, I can help you with installation tips for motherboard and SSD.

Best regards,

Jens

kirin
          • Topics Started 3
          • Total Posts 53

Hello Roland,

did you check whether the CMOS battery is still fresh, it should measure 3V?

I had that, resulting in a failing startup. After exchange it did run again.

The link to the beo5 tool could be found in the old (the 2nd archived) forum. maybe a suspicous link(??). but downloadable image without suspicous software inside, actually the binary image to be flashed onto a usb stick

good luck and best regards

beomaster11
            • Topics Started 4
            • Total Posts 16

Hello Jens and Kirin,

Thanks for your response.
            I have tried several, but in no way can I get an image out of the BM5. No bios either.
            I had already measured the cmos battery and it is over 3v.
            I am going to look for another motherboard and it may take some time, but I will let you know how it turns out.

Greetings,

Roland

Rendboell
              • Topics Started 4
              • Total Posts 27

Hello Roland,

I have written a few tips on how to replace the motherboard here:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.co.uk/forums/p/14541/348832.aspx#348832

The download link for the service tool is not working anymore.

If needed, I can provide you with a copy uploaded to a shared service.

The zip file with the service tool is approx. 2 GB.

Best regards,

Jens

Rendboell
                • Topics Started 4
                • Total Posts 27

Hello Roland,

When you have the Beomaster 5 disassembled you could also replace the mechanical HDD with a SSD.

Beosound 5 is much better working with a SSD. With a mechanical drive the wheel is slow and lagging. With a SSD it is fast. Startup from standby has also improved. The BM5 has not failed since i did the upgrade.

I recommend to buy a WD Blue Nand SSD (Western Digital). It has the Marvell Controller 88SS1074, which is reported to work.

SSD max. 1 TB. Bigger drives will not work out of the box. I have installed a 2 TB drive, but then you have to split it in 2 x 1 TB partitions and tweak BM5 to include the second drive as music storage. Use Junction v1.07 to make a junction point in the music folder of BM5.

I have used Northon Ghost v8.3 to align BM5 (Windows XP Embedded SP2) with the correct alignment for SSD’s. It might not be necessary, but I did it to be sure to get the best working system.

Windows XP Embedded SP2 is very stable when setup correctly. At work we have several old systems that have been running for years and years.

To replace the SSD I have used the service tool to make a clean installation (Clone entire HDD). You can also do a recovery with the service tool.

At the moment I use Macrium Reflect to make an image backup of the SSD:

Macrium Reflect with Windows PE 3.1
                (Preinstallation Environment)

Format backup USB to NTFS (not FAT32)

Install and run Macrium Reflect latest version

Select “Other Tasks” in menu -> Create Rescue Media

Select “Advanced” -> select “Chose Base WIM” -> select “Windows PE 3.1 (WAIK)” -> Now “Build”

Insert USB drive into BM5 -> Start BM5 and keep pressing “Del” to get into the bios -> Change boot to USB flash drive.

Macrium rescue media will load when you restart. Make an image backup to the USB.

It will be approx. 12 GB depending on how much music you have stored.

So you will need a USB flash drive with minimum 15 GB free space.

Best regards,

Jens

beomaster11
                  • Topics Started 4
                  • Total Posts 16

Jens,

Thank you for your support.

I have sent you a PM

Roland

Rendboell
                    • Topics Started 4
                    • Total Posts 27

Hello Roland,

I have e-mailed a link to download the service tool + info + other tools from my Onedrive.

If anyone else need the service tool for Beomaster 5, send me a PM.

Best regards,

Jens

beomaster11
                      • Topics Started 4
                      • Total Posts 16

Hello Jens,

I managed to get a new original motherboard and did a clean install with the software you provided (service tool) on a 1T HDD. Everything is now working again. The software has been updated to 7.04.01.1945 and the radio database was also updating.
                      Now I have a question: There are quite a lot of radio stations that don’t work. If I look at the last radio database update, it says 31-12-2021.
                      Is B&O no longer doing an update for the n.radio database?

Regards,
                      Roland

Rendboell
                        • Topics Started 4
                        • Total Posts 27

Hello Roland,

I am glad the service tool worked for you.

Regarding radio stations my BM5 says latest N.Radio update 22-2-2023.

When I did the installation it took some time for radion stations to update, so wait a day or so to see if it gets updated.

Please let us know if it gets updated for reference.

Best regards,

Jens

XavierItzmann
                          • Topics Started 31
                          • Total Posts 130

Hello Roland,

Did you «Buy a new cable with a 3 pin connector to connect to the original cable to the ML-PL-module and solder the new cable to the two soldering points of the optical connector on the solder side of the Via motherboard» ?

My system works fine and I hope I don’t have to buy a new motherboard anytime soon and even though I find the thought of soldering anything on a motherboard quite daunting, I’m thinking perhaps I should buy this cable now before it becomes difficult to find?

Best,

Rendboell
                            • Topics Started 4
                            • Total Posts 27

Hello XavierItzmann,

As I remember the cable to connect is a standard 3 pin connector you can get in electronics or computer shops.

I think I unsoldered and used the old cable, but not sure.

Best regards,

Jens

gebi
                              • Topics Started 1
                              • Total Posts 6

I have a similar problem with my beomaster 5. It shows : DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I can enter the bios with an external keyboard -> looks like the HDD is faulty. I have to do a fresh installation. Any other suggestions?

Would be great I somebody could help me out with a copy of the service tool.

BTW: will this SSD work?: https://www.ricardo.ch/de/a/ssd-wd-blue-sn570-1228224376/

greetings from Zürich

GM

Rendboell
                                • Topics Started 4
                                • Total Posts 27

Hello gebi,

I am not sure if the linked SSD will work, as I can not find the specs to confirm if it has the required Marvell Controller 88SS1074.

You might be able to ask Western Digital customer support about this.

I have installed a WD Blue 3D NAND that has this controller, as reported in these reviews:

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/718838/wd-blue-3d-nand-review.html

https://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/41822-wd-blue-1tb-ssd-review?start=2

It is a little bit more expensive than other drives, including the linked WD Blue, but then you know it will work.

Best regards,

Jens

PS. I have sent you a PM regarding download of the service tool.

gebi
                                  • Topics Started 1
                                  • Total Posts 6

Thanks,

will try to get the above-mentioned SSD.

PS: Just send you a PM.

Musica Ficta
                                    • Topics Started 0
                                    • Total Posts 1

Hello Jens,

I am in need of the service tool for the BeoMaster 5.  Would you kindly provide the link to download it?  Thank you.

Best regards,

George

Rendboell
                                      • Topics Started 4
                                      • Total Posts 27

Hello George,

I need the e-mail to your Microsoft Account to send a link to download the service tool from my Onedrive.

Best regards,

Jens

Rendboell
                                        • Topics Started 4
                                        • Total Posts 27

Hello all,

Because of the interest in the Service Tool for BS5 / BM5, I have made the 2.5 GB zip file available for all. Use this link for download:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvyICKrRk1dflLEkQs3K36JxF2p_EQ

Be patient with the download. It is highly compressed and will take some time to unzip.

I have attached a short introduction to the content and updated guides:

(1) B&O instructions for the Service Tool in the Service Manual for BS5 / BM5. The manual has instructions on how to update the BIOS and replace motherboard, harddisk, B&O master board, etc.

(2) My guides on how to use the service tool with Hirens Boot CD to use the original B&O clone (Norton Ghost) on a new SSD with correct alignment for SSD drives, including optimizations for SSD drives.

If you have any questions, please ask in this thread.

Best regards,

Jens

Rendboell
                                          • Topics Started 4
                                          • Total Posts 27

Service Manual for Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5 attached.

Best regards,

Jens

AlexA
                                            • Topics Started 0
                                            • Total Posts 1

Hello Jens, I managed to get a new original motherboard and did a clean install with the software you provided (service tool) on a 1T HDD. Everything is now working again. The software has been updated to 7.04.01.1945 and the radio database was also updating. Now I have a question: There are quite a lot of radio stations that don’t work. If I look at the last radio database update, it says 31-12-2021. Is B&O no longer doing an update for the n.radio database? Regards, Roland

Hi Roland, may I ask where did you get a new motherboard from?

I have the BM5+BS5;

I have the red standby light and another on the top board

I have the network lights as a solid green

I have a dead HDD

I have no video output

I have no access to the BIOS

I have replaced the CMOS battery which was at 0.87v but this has not changed the situation.

Jens, thank you for all the documentation and service tool. I just need to get that unzipped now.

Alex

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds