Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 32 Replies | 3 Followers

MJBeo
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
259 Posts
Gold Member
MJBeo posted on Sun, Jan 26 2014 3:46 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a NAS full of music, videos, series and photos. I am now streaming all these through a Lacinema Black Max media player using DLNA. Being a Beofan, I was looking for a B&O alternative, but I cannot find it:

- Beomedia does not seem to play large video files and is not suppose to (and of course everything has to be put on the machine itself)

- HDR1/2 has no option to put files on it from the computer

So, I need to buy raspberry pi with b&o compatible IR eye, any other media player with a IR control via Beovision, or a Beovision 11 with DLNA included. Do I miss anything?

Anyone want's to share their setup? O and PS: I do not want to leave my computer on (crazy apple TV), or convert every AVI clip that come from my camera into another specific format to be able to play it.

Cheers!

Beosystem 5500    BV7-32 MKIII + BL14.4 + MCL2P & CX100    AppleTV4 + Lintronic -238    4 link rooms with MCL2 A / MCL2 A/V + RL60.2 / CX50 & Cona / S45.2    Various Vintage restore objects

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,651 Posts
Bronze Member

@symnes

The OPPO103 is my choice 'per se' - the perfect Bluray player, that has a nice network section too Smile

But the question from the op was: 'a B&O-alternative'!

And I just wanted to say, that MJBeo already has what he needs - at least for a start Embarrassed

I don't think that B&O are hesitant - they do support playing 'digital copies of DVD's'.

To me it seems more like they did not realize what an internal media player ('Homemedia' of the V1/BV11/12..) must be able to do nowadays.

To me it doesn't matter (as stated above) - but if they want to have the internal media player as part of the BV's, they must do it right!!!

@MJBeo

The OPPO(103) has many fans!

symnes is just one of many 'voices crying out.....'

What is a 'DVD-2 jacket, please?

---- oh, I see that the question already was answered.

I think the OPPO looks really nice, but you can hide it if it is PUC controlled.

If you 'only' use it as media player you don't have to see it at all.

BUT, you should - at least once - try playing a good CD on it Yes - thumbs up

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
247 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 3:03 PM

DoubleU:

For $499,- you have a player for the US market. Limited use in Europe. In Europe they are a lot more expensive. And still it's not a full-featured mediaplayer like a Dune or something equal.. Nice player though if you play lots of br-disks.

I like that product, but it doesn't decode hidef DTS and Dolby. A lot less expensive in turn. 

The point to this is let the media providers do the conversion because you can't please everybody, or hardly anybody. 

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
247 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 3:08 PM

Millemissen:

@symnes

The OPPO103 is my choice 'per se' - the perfect Bluray player, that has a nice network section too Smile

But the question from the op was: 'a B&O-alternative'!

And I just wanted to say, that MJBeo already has what he needs - at least for a start Embarrassed

I don't think that B&O are hesitant - they do support playing 'digital copies of DVD's'.

To me it seems more like they did not realize what an internal media player ('Homemedia' of the V1/BV11/12..) must be able to do nowadays.

To me it doesn't matter (as stated above) - but if they want to have the internal media player as part of the BV's, they must do it right!!!

@MJBeo

The OPPO(103) has many fans!

symnes is just one of many 'voices crying out.....'

What is a 'DVD-2 jacket, please? - --- - oh, I see that the question already was answered.

MM

The reason I would call it a B&O alternative is because you could use the OPPO for media, any old tv using the OPPO scaler, and a BeoLab 14 kit for audio; Whole kit for a solid price, and upgradable.  

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,651 Posts
Bronze Member

symmes:

The reason I would call it a B&O alternative is because you could use the OPPO for media, any old tv using the OPPO scaler, and a BeoLab 14 kit for audio; Whole kit for a solid price, and upgradable.  

I do follow you - but not with the 'any old tv'.

I definitely would not give up my BV's.

The BL14 set is good for video sources, but for listening to music in a 2.1 option not my cup of tea.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,651 Posts
Bronze Member

@ DoubleU and symnes

'For $499,- you have a player for the US market....' - 'but it doesn't decode hide DTS and Dolby'

Which player is meant, please?

The OPPO103? 

499 is half of what you pay in Denmark and Germany Confused

The OPPO does decode the HD sound formats!

MM

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
247 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 3:24 PM

Dune is US $250 ish. Doesn't decode HD DTS and Dolby, but that will surely change. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,651 Posts
Bronze Member

Well!

OPPO is the 499 Dollar

and

Dune is the 'not decoding'

I see.

MM

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
562 Posts
Bronze Member

Again, you don’t want to use a US-version in Europe, so the $499,- is actually 699 Euro. Almost double the price! The Darbee version will take quality a step further but has his price.

The Oppo excels in playing BluRay-discs, not as a streaming mediaplayer. It’s nice to have good video-processing, but if half of the formats are not supported…

Dune HD Base 3D will decode HD-audio btw..

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,651 Posts
Bronze Member

The OPPO is what I called 'a good bluray player' in one of my posts above.

MM

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
247 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 5:14 PM

@ DoubleU, "The Oppo excels in playing BluRay-discs, not as a streaming mediaplayer. It’s nice to have good video-processing, but if half of the formats are not supported…"

What do you mean by not as a streaming mediaplayer?  And which formats are not supported? Everything I have experienced is first class, and I found the media player really nice when managed by the app. 

These differences would be interesting to understand.  All I ever knew was region coding on DVD and BluRay.

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
562 Posts
Bronze Member

Does your Oppo support *.iso files? Or Video_TS and BDMV directory structures?

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
247 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 10:18 PM

DoubleU:

Does your Oppo support *.iso files? Or Video_TS and BDMV directory structures?

Well, you have me there, if that's the difference in a classic media server to which you are referring.  But they aren't media files for playback, are they?  

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
562 Posts
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 10:59 PM

Yes, they are. Oppo was capable to do so too, but they updated the firmware last year only to please the Blu Ray Alliance. If you don’t, like Sigma Designs did, you loose your license to manufacture BR-players.

Work-around is of course to convert to mkv, but that’s one step extra.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,651 Posts
Bronze Member

Kaleidascape plays BRD .iso - as far as I know.

But they don't make BRPlayers - so no problem?

If so - B&O could also support BRP .iso (and the HD sound formats)?

They don't make BRP's either.

Just asking - because I am curious.

I don't really care - I prefer a disc in my BRP.

MM

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
562 Posts
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Tue, Jan 28 2014 12:40 AM

As far as I know Kaleidescape rips the BRD, but in order to play, it needs the physical disc to be present. True, the GUI is fast and looks very slick, but with a HTCP running XBMC you will experience the same.

The firmware update Oppo had to do last year to disable ISO playback, is a major downgrade.

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL