The new BeoSound Essence

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 62 Replies | 4 Followers

MikaelB
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
MikaelB posted on Fri, Jan 10 2014 9:09 AM

To day I have a BeoSound/BeoMaster 5 combination, connected with masterlink. I consider replasing it with the BeoSound Essense.

Will I be able to play music in multiple rooms with the BeoSound Essence?

/MikaelB

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

PhilLondon
Top 25 Contributor
London
3,611 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by MikaelB

The Essence isn't a Masterlink (nor a NL) product.

You'll need a PC running a DLNA server to store all your music files. This can be your BM5 (with or without the BS5).

Then you'll need an Essence in every room. They can connect using an Ethernet or a Wifi network to your DLNA server.

You can play different music in each room, but you won't be able to play the same music in different room (party mode).

If I were you I'd wait a little bit longer. It seems they will upgrade the BM5 to NL, and you may then have a better solution based on that.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons. Other apps: ConsltThe Story Mouse

All Replies

PhilLondon
Top 25 Contributor
London
3,611 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by MikaelB

The Essence isn't a Masterlink (nor a NL) product.

You'll need a PC running a DLNA server to store all your music files. This can be your BM5 (with or without the BS5).

Then you'll need an Essence in every room. They can connect using an Ethernet or a Wifi network to your DLNA server.

You can play different music in each room, but you won't be able to play the same music in different room (party mode).

If I were you I'd wait a little bit longer. It seems they will upgrade the BM5 to NL, and you may then have a better solution based on that.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons. Other apps: ConsltThe Story Mouse

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,682 Posts
Bronze Member

...and you can AirPlay to them, and use Spotify Connect with them.

As for the NL-upgrade of the BM/BS5 I am not so sure - although that really would be great.

N.B. When the Essence comes out, I will try to connect it to the A-AUX of my BeoMaster just like I do now with the Playmaker - this way it could (?) be brought into the ML-chain. But the Essence-'knob' would be obsolete then - no need for double volumen control.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,642 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 10:44 AM

Millemissen:

...and you can AirPlay to them, and use Spotify Connect with them.

As for the NL-upgrade of the BM/BS5 I am not so sure - although that really would be great.

N.B. When the Essence comes out, I will try to connect it to the A-AUX of my BeoMaster just like I do now with the Playmaker - this way it could (?) be brought into the ML-chain. But the Essence-'knob' would be obsolete then - no need for double volumen control.

MM

Have you confirmed that it will be possible to have "Line-out" from the Essence? It has to be through the PL socket, right?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

PhilLondon
Top 25 Contributor
London
3,611 Posts
Bronze Member

There is no Line out on the PL or PM, but you can use the Powerlink Connection.

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
247 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 11:13 AM

Since they are AirPlay, I would assume you can use Party Mode via computer and iTunes, only?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,682 Posts
Bronze Member

@Hiort

As I wrote "I wil try...." - that means, that I assume that it would work similar to the way the Playmaker can work.

So - no, It is not confirmed!

Note - I am talking PowerLink-out (with 'fixed line-out volume') of the Essense-box connected to A-AUX-in of another device. Just like it works on a Playmaker.

I can't see why it should not work - but you would need the 'fur future use' ir-connection (to some sort of ir-eye) ir order to do the settings.

Please write again, if this is not understandable.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,682 Posts
Bronze Member

symmes:

Since they are AirPlay, I would assume you can use Party Mode via computer and iTunes, only?

That would indeed be a way to go.

But if you need a MAC in your setup, it would - sort of - take out the simplicity of the Essence-idea.

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 7:36 PM

Millemissen:

symmes:

But if you need a MAC in your setup, it would - sort of - take out the simplicity of the Essence-idea.

MM

I'm ignorant of Party Mode, does it only work on the Mac version of iTunes?

For me, I find my setup with hidden PC, a PlayMaker run into the aux in on my BS9000, and an iPad running the remote app for iTunes and Spotify works very well. Honestly, most of the time I could survive well with only the PM, no BS9000. I haven't even connected the radio, I live in a radio wasteland unless you like country and western, and religious channels, and don't play CDs or LPs that often.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
562 Posts
Bronze Member

In the past we had more devices with ”future use” connections that are still not used. So my guess… There is no option to fix the output level from the PL. Since the product will be ready for sale, with a non-working ir-connection, there is no default volume, but it will remember the last volume setting. Just connect the PL to the Aux-in of the ML, crank up the volume of the Essence, and leave it there. Problem solved! Wink

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
247 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 8:04 PM

Jeff:

Millemissen:

symmes:

MM

I'm ignorant of Party Mode, does it only work on the Mac version of iTunes?

For me, I find my setup with hidden PC, a PlayMaker run into the aux in on my BS9000, and an iPad running the remote app for iTunes and Spotify works very well. Honestly, most of the time I could survive well with only the PM, no BS9000. I haven't even connected the radio, I live in a radio wasteland unless you like country and western, and religious channels, and don't play CDs or LPs that often.

Party Mode is the "Multiple Speakers" selection on iTunes. On another note, I was in Costco today and they no longer sell CDs.  That used to be a huge section in our local warehouse store. 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,642 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 8:29 PM
This is what Techcrunch stay on their site:

The round, aluminum controller is mounted on a wall or placed on a table. This unit controls the music and features the standard array of touchscreen controls and sports motion sensors. Walk into a room with the B&O Essence and Bon Iver will start playing. Walk out, the music will fade away.

No one here has mentioned the motion control. Is the what Techcrunch say correct?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
562 Posts
Bronze Member

Didn’t know about the motion sensors. That would be so cool, if true. Just adding that little bit of magic, like the curtains of the Beovision’s.

I also didn’t see anyone mention which dlna formats are supported…

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,398 Posts
Bronze Member

Pdf spec sheet now on B&O website.

http://bogone.blob.core.windows.net/static/files/BeoSound_Essence_product_sheet.pdf

No mention of motion control.

$995 plus $200 remote.

Graham

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,682 Posts
Bronze Member

DoubleU:

In the past we had more devices with ”future use” connections that are still not used. So my guess… There is no option to fix the output level from the PL. Since the product will be ready for sale, with a non-working ir-connection, there is no default volume, but it will remember the last volume setting. Just connect the PL to the Aux-in of the ML, crank up the volume of the Essence, and leave it there. Problem solved! Wink

Thinking this over again, again - I realize that you are completely right Yes - thumbs up

In my 'thoughts' I have made things too complicated - using the way of thinking that had to be used for the Playmaker.

Since the Essence has no ir, there is no need for setting an 'Option 0' to avoid conflicts when controlling two systems.

The 'knob' works via bluetooth! And the volume will be controlled by the audiomaster/Beo4.

Only thing to remember is: don't fiddle too much with the 'volumen wheel' - or at least reset it to the required volume afterwards.

Could even be very easy to connect the Essence(box) to an audiomaster (and the ML-chain) or even to the NL/ML-converter (your entire mixed setup)!

Problem indeed solved Smile

MM

Page 1 of 5 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL