BeoLab 5 sound issue

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

FullCry
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
FullCry posted on Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:51 PM

I wonder if anyone has experienced the same issue with a pair of BeoLab 5 speakers... These speakers are superb but, my right hand speaker has yet again failed for the third time in two years and I'm at a loss to know why. The speakers where on all day this weekend at a moderate level around 40 and in the evening whilst Bob Dylan was at his melodic best at around sound level 65 his voice suddenly came only from the left hand speaker - with no voice coming from the top high and mid speakers on the right hand side.

Any idea as to why this would happen greatly appreciated, I have had both of the top speaker units replaced in the past on this right hand BeoLab 5 but this is getting to be a bit of a regular occurrence and cannot be normal for such a well engineered pice of kit!

Red stand by and green running lights are acting as normal and even after running the self calibration all seems OK but there is no sound or rather only a muted sound from the top end of the sound range coming out of the High and Mid frequency speakers... In effect the left hand speaker works beautifully the right hand does not giving a mono experience!

All Replies

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,640 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 1:44 AM

This always happens to only the right spkr? Are both plugged into the same or different power outlets? If different, are the outlets on different house circuits or the same? That might take some investigation, but I suppose it's possible that if they are on different circuits you are getting noise spikes or corrupted power on one. You might, once it's fixed, try a good filter/surge suppressor and run that and both spkrs off the power outlet the left spkr uses. 

About all I can think of, unless what's driving the signal to the speakers is having problems. What is the source to the spkrs?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
4,770 Posts
Bronze Member

Might be obvious for you, since you've had the problem before, but have you checked the source?

Too long to list.... 

FullCry
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Jeff thanks for your feedback.

Yes only occurs to the right speaker.

Yes connected to a different power outlet, which I believe are on the same ring main/circuit connected to a new domestic mains fuse box with RCD's and circuit breakers. I will check with our electricians and get them to validate the outlet - fused plug to speaker already checked and base speaker in the unit still working.

In terms of the source to the speakers this comes from a BeoCenter 2(recently replaced in last two weeks with a BeoSound 5) and BeoVision 7 connected to a SKY box and 1st generation Apple TV (white unit). The last two occasions this has happened the sound source has been iTunes from the Apple TV through the BeoVision 7 but with the speaker setting on the TV set to only play through the BeoLab 5's.

FullCry
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Bayerische,

On the last two occasions the source has been the same - 1st generation Apple TV running the latest version of software at all times, connected to a BeoVision 7.  I was not around when it happened the first time within a couple of months of them being purchased and installed.

Sound still behaving correctly and sounding great through left BeoLab 5 speaker OK, on each occasion...

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
4,770 Posts
Bronze Member

Have you tested switching the left speaker to the right channel? That way you can eliminate the possibility of the Right channel having a problem from the source.

Too long to list.... 

nmook
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
nmook replied on Mon, Feb 2 2015 5:31 PM

I hate to bring back a 3 year-old post, but I'm actually having a similar issue. The upper bass unit of one of my BeoLab 5's just stopped working. The pair report green and don't indicate any problem. Calibration works fine (although seems to linger at one point because of no sound from upper bass).

The B&O tech tried replacing the upper bass unit itself, but no change -- the speaker itself works fine. So it appears the only option now is completely replacing the electronics module for a ridiculous cost.

Were you ever able to figure out the issue? Did you have to replace the electronics unit?

Did you continue to have any issues?

So frustrating!

Thanks,

- Nate 

raveny
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member
raveny replied on Sun, Sep 24 2017 1:51 PM

Hello everybody,

my BeoLab 5 has now the same hissing and room calibration doesn't work anymore. Microphone comes out and the LED blinks red. Seems like the electronics are damaged. Anything I can reset? How much does the replacement of the electronics cost?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL