Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Rivenflush
Top 200 Contributor
Gothenburg
333 Posts
Bronze Member
Rivenflush posted on Fri, Sep 6 2013 2:52 PM

Hello,

I have recently been thinking about acquiring a used Beosound 9000 but after reading this thread about CD problems with the Beosund 9000 I am a little reluctant:
http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/6013.aspx

What is really the quality of the Beosound 9000? The impression that I get from this thread is that buying an MK1 is out of the question and for a MK2 the laser will have to be replaced every 5 years.

(and getting an MK3 is out of the question as that laser is not manufactured anymore and B&O has the only ones left in stock).

Is the quality of the Beosound 9000 really that bad?

Best regards,
Martin

My B&O products: Beosound 9000, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 4000 x2, Beolab 3500, Beolab 2000, Beolab 10, Beolink Active x2, Beotime, Beo5 x2, Beo4, A9 keyring x2, LC2 dimmer x6 and growing....

All Replies

Hungedu
Top 500 Contributor
United States
159 Posts
Bronze Member

I have a Mk1 and recently replaced the laser. It works fine.

BeoLab 5, BeoVision 7-55 MK2, BeoSound 5 Encore, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, BeoLab 7-6, BeoSound 8, BeoTime (analog clock), Beo 4 remote.

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
694 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 3:57 PM

I've used my early MK3 BS9000 almost every day (I work at home and listen to music much of the time) for more than 10 year (possibly 12), and have had no problems whatsoever.  I would say for about 1/2 of those years, I haven't use the CD extensively because I had a BeoLink PC2, and now a Beosound 5, but the wife (mostly) and kids (sometimes) use it to listen to music I haven't loaded into the BS5.

I can't comment on the other issues since I haven't had any problems I don't know what might happen if it breaks.

Stan

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
187 Posts
Bronze Member

Have a mkII. Laser unit was replaced by b&o around 10 years ago. Was some sort of warranty, I had to pay for the labour but got the unit for free. That was around 10 years ago and haven't had any other issues. Still think it's a beautiful device with high build quality.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

AdiS
Top 500 Contributor
170 Posts
Bronze Member
AdiS replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 10:44 PM

Is that true? MK III Laser can only be bought at B&O? So it´s the best to buy MK II??

Adrian

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
1,486 Posts
Gold Member

I have two mk 3's, one from new ( 9 years) and second a pre loved from Lifestyle - no issues !

Must get a white one :-)

Rivenflush
Top 200 Contributor
Gothenburg
333 Posts
Bronze Member

AdiS:

Is that true? MK III Laser can only be bought at B&O? So it´s the best to buy MK II??

Adrian

Yes, read this post by Michael (from the thread I linked to in my original post):

:

Hi:

I have successfully repaired my BeoSound 9000 Mk II with an eBay sourced CDM12.4 laser at about $15.00 USD. I never wrote a complete DIY about it but some of the detail was presented in my BeoSound 9000 MK III / VAM1250 focused blog post:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/6067.aspx

I'm a bit short on time at the present but can tell you that if you have a failed BS Mk II, you must purchase your eBay sourced CDM12.4 from the right seller. I believe that the one that worked for me was purchased from eBay USA seller foolnme. (I purchased 3 from various sellers and cannot be sure anymore as to which one was the best.) I purchased the CDM12.4 laser only and integrated it into the existing carriage which was not that difficult. (There is an on-line photo tutorial somewhere on that process available.)

My results were great and it went through the two post-repair setup/adjustment modes perfectly. The best part about using an eBay CDM12.4 laser-only for repair of the BS Mk II's, in my opinion, is that you are not forced to replace the Mk II / CDM12.4 logic board with the VAM1250 version as you would if you purchased the $245.00 BS Mk II / VAM1250 conversion kit from B&O. And that is because Philips does not manufacture lasers any more and the VAM1250 (with the linear and "no metal cover" laser crown, hint, hint!) is impossible to purchase from anyone except B&O. For they purchased the last of the Philips VAM1250 production for their BeoSound 9000 repair inventory. And one cannot purchase the laser only VAM1250 from B&O. It is only available in a complete carriage mounted kit. I repaired my Mk III with that one and even at $185.00, it saved me hundreds over having it done for me (est. at $600.00).

So, in my opinion, if you own a never-converted BeoSound 9000 Mk II, then you would be best to work to maintain it as a CDM12.4 machine to avoid the obvious end-of-the-line scenario on the already obvious depletion of correct Philips VAM1250 lasers. For me, an eBay sourced CDM12.4 laser-only worked beautifully on my BS 9000 MK II!

For the sake of clarity, if you own a BeoSound 9000 MK II - which was originally fitted with the Philips CDM12.4 Laser - and you have it repaired by a B&O authorized service center or purchase the repair kit from B&O, you will be purchasing an "upgrade" kit which includes a new VAM1250 Logic Board as well as the VAM1250 carriage-mounted laser. Your old CDM12.4 logic board is removed (and tossed, I assume) and replaced and your Mk II is now essentially a BeoSound Mk III. Thus the higher cost of $245.00 for the Mk II kit to cover the cost of the included logic board. The BeoSound MK III kit does not include the logic board and cost me $185.00 from Atlantic Systems in Hanover Massachusetts. You are using the existing VAM1250 board that came with your MK III.

Got it?

Also, for those of us with injured BeoSound Mk III's, we are really heading toward a potentially hopeless situation as B&O will eventually run out of their stock of the Philips VAM1250 lasers. And please know that the typical eBay sourced VAM1250's DO NOT WORK!. I've tried them and this was my experience. As I discussed in my above referenced earlier BeoSound 9000 posting, the eBay (fake) VAM1250 lasers are distinctly different then the original Philips VAM1250 in that they have a circular laser crown solder point assembly (indicating a non-Philips laser diode used) and have a metal covering continuation over the top of the circular laser diode solder crown. My photos of the authentic Philips VAM1250 laser (see my earlier post) show the distinctive linear black plastic protruding laser diode solder crown and no metal cover.

And finally, I believe that the vast majority of failed BeoSound  9000 Mk III's can be repaired easily by doing a solder re-flow on the 12 solder points (6 and 6 each side) at the laser diode crown board. I recently purchased what I strongly believe are original eBay sourced Philips VAM1250's from this eBay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151045618465?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I received two units and both have cracks in the solder joints. It is apparent to me that these original Philips VAM1250's have a design problem in that the top circuit board flexes leading to the cracking of the vertical/horizontal solder contact flows. When it is time to use them, I will simply re-flow the critical joints and wish for the best.

Michael Ready - USA

Anyway, the 9000 is an astonishing piece of art and to me nothing else comes close (if we are talking audio products) so I will certainly get one but will probably look for a non-serviced MKII.

My B&O products: Beosound 9000, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 4000 x2, Beolab 3500, Beolab 2000, Beolab 10, Beolink Active x2, Beotime, Beo5 x2, Beo4, A9 keyring x2, LC2 dimmer x6 and growing....

AdiS
Top 500 Contributor
170 Posts
Bronze Member
AdiS replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 9:36 AM

another question: is there possibility to play netradio and netmusic with every MK II?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,793 Posts
Founder

All mk1 and mk2's can be fitted with the proper software to use NMusic and NRadio.

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
350 Posts
Bronze Member

The quality of a Beosound 9000?

The one I had briefly some 3 years ago or so was a turned out to be MKIII. It had not been used for some time so a bit dusty. I got it home from Copenhagen and set it up. I cleaned the glass lid on both sides and then it worked like it should.

I then spend some time getting experience with it and sold it on as I don't get on with more than 1 cd in a machine anyway regardless of the state of art the Beosound 9000 is.

kneumann2200
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

Has anyone done the software upgrade? I understand the part is simply a chip that needs to be replaced, are there any other procedures for install?

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,413 Posts
Bronze Member
Have my BS 9000 MK3 bought new in october 2001. 14 years of daily use without one issue.

Still looks and perform like new.

Love the mecanism mooving (even greater in a dark room), the fact the cd's stays like you place them.

Wife and kids love it.

One of, if not The, best B&O product ever.
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,487 Posts
Bronze Member
I have a Mk1 that is still working but not perfectly. Might need some service but it is very rarely I even use CDs. It plays but makes a scratching noise while moving between the disks. Sometimes it stops.

Mainly I play music from radio or a.aux (AirPlay).

I see no real reason to upgrade to N.Music since that is a quite obsolete solution now, especially when you have all the radio stations and music you want in your phone.

I enjoy the BS9000 look and feel. Opening the drawer once in a few months keeps me happy. It's that simple for me.

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,429 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Nov 18 2015 9:36 AM
I had a m1 and a mk3. The mk1 did need its cd mechanism replacing when it was about 9 years old (and I used them a lot) but other than that they worked perfectly. Sound was excellent.
Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,542 Posts
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Wed, Nov 18 2015 10:35 AM
I have my BS 9000 now for 17 years. Although the laser had to be replaced three times and also the mainboard, I still love this device. It's a masterpiece of design and a highlight in every room, a B&O statement at its best. When the laser will fail next time and I cannot get a new laser (because it's not available anymore), I will buy a used Mk3, no matter what it costs.

Take a look at a BS 9000 and a Moment side by side, and you will see the difference between an icon and bullshit!

Regards

Räuber
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL