Best Bang & Olufsen turntable

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 28 Replies | 4 Followers

expoman
Top 500 Contributor
174 Posts
Bronze Member
expoman posted on Thu, Aug 15 2013 5:47 PM

While everyone seems interested in the best Beocord or CD player.  I wonder what turntable members like the best for sound quality? reliability? 

I know the Beogram 6500 and 7000 had the phone preamp built in.  Where there any others?  Can the preamp module from a BG6500 for example be installed in a BG5500 or BG9000?

All Replies

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,384 Posts
Bronze Member

expoman:

Which one is worth restoring if any?

I don't have phone pre amp to use with any of them to connect to my Beosound 9000 but I think a shop in Denver makes them.  

All of themBig Smile

http://www.phonopreamps.com/index.html#Features, make your choice

Strobo disc, ask Dillen on this forum

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
418 Posts
Bronze Member

The Beogram 1700 with an MMC20 EN is still my favorite. A simple radial deck that was cleanly designed.

You use to be able to pick them up fairly cheap but now with the vinyl craze plus some praise it received elsewhere they have become a bit pricey.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
959 Posts
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 6:20 AM

expoman:

I know the Beogram 6500 and 7000 had the phone preamp built in.  Where there any others?  Can the preamp module from a BG6500 for example be installed in a BG5500 or BG9000?

I have installed them, but those models witch dont have amp originally, dont have brackets on bottom plate, so I have to drill 2 holes for them. Also it need a little wiring.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
350 Posts
Bronze Member

Strobo discs that goes are found in the 6006 and most of the 8000. They where changed to metal at some point during the production of the 8000 as I understand it.

My 6006 has one from Dillen installed and it works perfectly.

As I recall it was starting to go when I got that record player back in the late 2007.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
2,590 Posts
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 5:21 PM

Ricardo:

The Beogram 1700 with an MMC20 EN is still my favorite. A simple radial deck that was cleanly designed.

You use to be able to pick them up fairly cheap but now with the vinyl craze plus some praise it received elsewhere they have become a bit pricey.

And here I thought you had joined my 3404 fan club at the Vice President level.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
1,373 Posts
Gold Member

expoman:
I know the Beogram 6500 and 7000 had the phone preamp built in.  Where there any others?  

As nobody else has answered that question...
Yes - the Beogram 4500 also had the preamp.

expoman
Top 500 Contributor
174 Posts
Bronze Member

Steffen,

Thanks for this info.  The 4500 does come up for sale more than the 6500 or 7000.  The price is more reasonable as well.

Audio-Retro
Not Ranked
Spring Branch, Texas
5 Posts
Silver Member

Any mm preamp with RCAs will work between a Beogram and a Beosound 9000.  You will need (two) adapters, one in and one out.  5 pin DIN females < 2 RCAs. 

New Template
Audio-Retro
Not Ranked
Spring Branch, Texas
5 Posts
Silver Member

And, if I may add, the BG 3500.

New Template
chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,959 Posts
Gold Member

Welcome to Beoworld and congrats for digging up a 7 year-old thread!

Jacques

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
845 Posts
Bronze Member

I tried many Beograms (and still own "few of them") but Beogram 4000 is for me the best one. Mine is in everyday usage (at the moment with MMC 20EN) and it sounds superb.

Yes, I know, many would say that the BG800x is better but not for me, specially not designwise.  I don't really like the BG800x series. The Beogram 4000 is the best "package", design and sound. But that's just my opinion.

One more Beogram which is my favorite is the Beogram 1500 (the old type: 5208, one with the build-in amp). I gave mine to my brother together with the pair of Beovox 800 and he couldn't believe what nice sound this set is able to produce Smile

For me the best looking one is still the white Beogram 1202. Pure elegance and simplicity!

Theomaster

P.S. Yes BG3000 Thorens is probably the best sounding Beogram but having "only" the plint and tonearm made by B&O, it is for me out of comparison ...

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
314 Posts
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Tue, Oct 6 2020 1:04 PM

The best I've heard (and own!) remains the Beogram 8002 with an Axel-rebuilt MMC2.

Also, there has been mention of the Thorens version, but the Acoustical version of the Beogram 3000 is no slouch.

LarsJensen
Not Ranked
25 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz:

Welcome to Beoworld and congrats for digging up a 7 year-old thread!

Jacques

Same! Big Smile
Schletti82
Top 500 Contributor
111 Posts
Bronze Member

In meinen opinion the best Players are.

beogram 4000

like 4002/40004/6000 too.

beogram 6006/8000/8002 all nearly the same.

the Beogram 5000 is an excellent Player too.

I Never had a Beogram 3000 Thornes, but should be a really Good one.

the Otters i have and i like them all !

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL