Beomaster 8000 Project

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 257 Replies | 4 Followers

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,173 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Tue, Aug 6 2013 8:28 AM

Here is the Beomaster 8000 that I acquired as part of an 8000 system earlier this year. I have been wanting to get this receiver working again but kept getting side-tracked. I think it is now time to dive into it. I have the service manual so I think I am set.

All Replies

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
5,423 Posts
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Nov 15 2014 4:32 PM

I have two spares (defect) that could be used for donor parts in case of.

Brengen & Ophalen

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,853 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Sat, Nov 15 2014 4:55 PM

That did no fall on deaf ears Leslie! Stick out tongue

Jacques

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
5,423 Posts
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Nov 15 2014 5:08 PM

Just let me know or else I will throw it in the bin...

Brengen & Ophalen

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,173 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor replied on Sat, Nov 15 2014 11:41 PM

Leslie:

Just let me know or else I will throw it in the bin...

Don't throw anything into the bin. I have another BM8000 waiting for restoration as well.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,853 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Mon, Nov 17 2014 4:09 PM
I took delivery of the Beomaster 8000, a rather tatty example, but a good reserve of parts for the future. It powers up, the processor works too. The display is defective, with many segments missing.

Someone unsuccessfully tried to open it... Surprise

Jacques

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
2,571 Posts
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Nov 17 2014 6:32 PM

sonavor:

chartz:

Is there a cure for this rare desease?

Where is research standing?

The only known cure is extreme - You have to move to a remote island that has no electricity. Meanwhile, the research has fallen apart as all of the researchers have contracted the disease and are now actively working on their B&O projects.

Running out of space does not cure the disease, but it does treat the symptoms.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,173 Posts
Gold Member

One thing I remember about my own BM8000, the cable(s) from the control panel can affect those segments lighting up. As I was getting mine refurbished I kept seeing the segments come and go. I was wondering if the displays were going out. Once I got the receiver completed though, the segments all worked. That doesn't mean it will always turn out that way but I would hold off on dealing with the displays until the end. One way to check them sooner though is to remove them from the board and check them in a test jig that powers all of the segments. That's what I did with one of the Beomaster 6000 units I repaired.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,853 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Mon, Nov 17 2014 7:18 PM

I'll look into that John, thanks!

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,853 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Tue, Nov 18 2014 9:04 PM

A closer inspection of the innards shows that the amplifiers boards were restored at some point, with new capacitors and trimmers. The output darlingtons seem to have been replaced. Not a very clean job I have to say. The rest of the receiver was not modified or restored.

The left amplifier remains completely cold (no sound) with a normal offset voltage. The right amp works but quickly gets lukewarm. I know it should not. It is not a Beomaster 6000! 

I'll have to delve deeper into that.

Jacques

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,173 Posts
Gold Member

Right, I understood are working on another BM8000.  I only mentioned the BM6000 with regard to a jig to test the display segments. 
On your BM8000, are you getting the two channels through your preamp stage?  Just wondering if it is isolated at the output amplifier boards. You might need to recheck the mounting of the output transistors to the heatsink.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,853 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Wed, Nov 19 2014 7:13 PM

And I was referring to the heatsinks of the BM6000, always lukewarm! Big Smile

Jacques

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,173 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor replied on Wed, Nov 19 2014 11:27 PM

haha...too much mixing of Beomasters

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,853 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Sun, Nov 23 2014 10:56 AM

Have you come across this?

http://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=110262

Tim is the best!

Jacques

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,173 Posts
Gold Member

No, I had never seen that link. Very interesting and quite amazing really. I have wondered if someone with the right know-how had ever recreated one of the B&O processors from the eighties. Now I know.

Thanks

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,853 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Mon, Nov 24 2014 4:18 PM

Tim is well known amidst B&O circles in England. He wrote the B&O collector's bible, as well as many articles for Hi-Fi World and Hifi News.

My tatty Beomaster 8000 now almost work. The important bit - the amplifiers work fine. There were really messy repairs, which were supposedly meant to work! Fortunately, the new components (many transistors, all the TIP 141 and 146) were still fine, and I suspect the repair was aborted. In fact, the previous repairman had broken PCB tracks in several points. After repair the power modules work. He (she? nah!) even replaced the trimmers and the caps, which was a good idea!

Two remaining issues: the missing LED segments, and only static on the tuner. Yes John, I checked the small transformer leads!

Jacques

Page 15 of 18 (258 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL