Beomaster 8000 Project

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 257 Replies | 4 Followers

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Tue, Aug 6 2013 8:28 AM

Here is the Beomaster 8000 that I acquired as part of an 8000 system earlier this year. I have been wanting to get this receiver working again but kept getting side-tracked. I think it is now time to dive into it. I have the service manual so I think I am set.

All Replies

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member

Here is a closer picture. They are some sort of splicing connector and Jacques is right, they are Scotchlok.  I can see the name embossed on the plastic case.  The white and blue wires were tapped and taken somewhere. I haven't opened up that Beomaster completely yet to see where those wires go. My project Beomaster doesn't have that. I am wondering if that is some modification someone made after they bought it.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member

I don't want to disassemble the other Beomaster 8000 completely yet but I opened it a bit and it looks like the splice wires route from the preamp (blue and white wire) to the left side, rear of the receiver. The project Beomaster has that same opening in the chassis but there isn't anything there. The second Beomaster has a connector there. Here is the best picture I can provide right now.

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
516 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member

I will identify what preamp connector wires were spliced and so I can tell what is being routed to the unidentified connector.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member

That side connector is -15V/Gnd.  I still need to verify that is the destination of the two wires but I am pretty certain it is. The blue wire is the -15VDC from the Power Supply board and the white wire is ground.  The connector on the preamp is P17 and the power supply connector is P46. I guess the previous owner needed to provide -15V to some external device?

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
516 Posts
Gold Member
tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,356 Posts
Gold Member

sonavor:
I guess the previous owner needed to provide -15V to some external device?

Your Beomaster has obviously been owned by a telecom installer who can't solder Big Smile

--mika

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member

Yeah, it has to be some modification for some purpose. When I get around to work on this unit (probably next year), I will try to put it back to original. Even after that, I may have to use this second Beomaster as a test device or parts for another Beomaster 8000. Cosmetically, the rear, right channel heat sink is dented and the front corners of the front trim got dinged. So even with that Beomaster functioning 100% electrically, it probably won't look new without getting some replacement pieces for the trim and heat sink.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member

Finally, some good progress on the project Beomaster 8000. It started off not so good as I tried the original FM boards with new trimmer resistors. Then I found a major issue - the connector to the FM board from the aerial had a loose signal wire. It was touching the shield. Of course that really improved things but the original FM boards still are not producing great results. While the original boards were in the Beomaster, I recapped the original electrolytic caps on the second set of FM boards. I decided not to do anything else to that board as I don't want to risk more tuner problems. I now have the second set of FM boards in the Beomaster and the FM tuner is working great. The signal strength on the strong stations is up to 8 (out of 10). That is what I was expecting from that antenna as my other tuners that connect to it all have good reception.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member

I think I am ready to wrap up this Beomaster project for a while. I am torn on the power caps but they are all in spec so I think I will leave them alone and enjoy this new receiver for a while. I will test out the turntable input on the BM8000 tomorrow.

As for the original FM boards, they will be part of my continuing education on learning how to work on tuner sections. I have a lot of work to do in that area and I won't make that part of this thread. I hope the next pictures I post can be a fully re-assembled Beomaster 8000 driving a pair of MS-150 speakers.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member

I am happy to report the Beomaster phono section works as it should. The test wasn't without a little drama though.  When I set up to test and started to connect the Beogram 8002 phono cable, I discovered the DIN socket in the Beomaster was loose (actually, the plastic mount is broken and missing the outer, plastic frame). I was able to carefully work the plug in place but when I played a record I got no sound. So there is something wrong with that socket. To fix this latest problem I decided to swap out the music source input assembly from the other Beomaster 8000. All of its sockets were good.

My back is now sore from all the lifting and moving around of this receiver again but I got the new input module in place and had a listen to the Beogram 8002 playing the Doors first album. I will post pictures of the finished Beomaster later today.

There is a new glitch in my 8000 system though. It isn't serious ... but a nuisance. The display on my restored Beogram 8002 has started acting up. It displays odd characters but seems to display 45.00 okay. Everything else on it is functioning fine so I will have to go back into that unit in the future and fix the display. I do have spare BG8002 control and display boards now.  I think I will rework those at some point, then swap them in the Beogram and see if that corrects the problem.

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
1,501 Posts
Gold Member

sonavor:
The test wasn't without a little drama though

That was a lot of hard work to get to this point so just enjoy it.

Save the niggles for a wet winters day.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member

I definitely am enjoying it. Although I won't try and choose a favorite between the Beomaster 4400 and this 8000, I have grown to really like this latest receiver. Maybe it is just human nature after putting a lot of work in. But if you read up on it, the Beomaster 8000 is quite a piece of engineering work. I definitely will want to refurbish another one.  For my next step I have pretty much decided to start on the Beocord 9000 so I will have a great tape deck in the system.

Next week I should receive my first cartridge repair from Axel Schürholz. I had an MMC 2 that the right channel went out on a few years ago. It has been sitting around while I decided what to do with it. A few weeks ago I decided to contact Axel and arrange for a repair. He finished last week so I expect it sometime this week. I am anxious to see how it sounds in this 8000 system.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member

Here is the finished Beomaster 8000 along with other components in the system. The cassette deck is missing from the cabinet as it is out on my work bench. Last night was the first time I connected a pair of MS-150 speakers to the BM8000. They sound fantastic.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,659 Posts
Gold Member

One last picture of the 8000 system with the cassette deck (Beocord 9000) in place.

Page 10 of 18 (258 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL