rated by 0 users
This post has 645 Replies | 5 Followers

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,371
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Mar 23 2019 6:11 PM

Glad my recommendation led you to it! I agree completely about Netflix, I've tried to watch a few of the shows you mention and bailed out because of the reasons you mention, never finishing them. In general, Netflix movies are worse than Netflix series, though I'll make an exception to that for "Altered Carbon."

I generally thought it was OK, and would have thought better of it if I'd never read the book(s). But while they got the visuals of the city right, and I think they nailed Kovacs and the female cop, the actors did a great job with them. But, man did they stray from the book in ways that did not make it better, but more complex and in the service of what was obviously thought to be a way to increase appeal that really didn't. The female cop did NOT have a family in the book, let alone all the time wasted in family arguments about resleeving. The whole thing with the hackers daughter was overstated and took too much time, and Kovacs had no sister. Also, they make it seem like the UN shock troops were not Envoys, in the book those were the Envoys, UN trained troops he didn't line up with the "terrorist" group until after he left the Envoys. Why do such a major change as that? None of the changes made much sense to me and diluted the impact of the show, and due to that they deleted some amazing things that happened in the book that would have made stunning visuals.

In general I think most big Hollywood type movies suffer the same fate. Tens of millions of dollars for special effects, and maybe ten dollars for a script. Recently I was very impressed with the movie "Ex Machina" because it was a simple, spare production, only 4 main characters, filmed in a simple space, but with a stunning and thought provoking story. I think too often you have to go to Indie type films for this.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,371
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Apr 11 2019 4:41 PM

I just finished watching the series "Hanna" on Amazon. It was quite good IMO, being 7 episodes it can go into more depth than the movie of the same name, which I also enjoyed.

Also, Amazon video now has the classic UK scifi show "UFO." Despite the ultra mod 1960s run amok style and costuming (really, purple hair?) the show is actually fairly gritty and dark especially for the day. In one episode you find out that not only did the head of the anti-alien organization sacrifice his marriage to his work, he wound up having to delay a flight with medicine for his injured son, due to needing it for his mission, which resulted in his son's death.

Really enjoying seeing "UFO" again, as I watched it in my youth when it first came out. One thing, just like the original Star Trek, the colors pop and seem overblown a lot more on today's TV sets as opposed to the old early gen color TVs.

Jeff

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,265
Bronze Member

After Life in Netflix. I've watched the series the times now, and thankfully Ricky is going to message a second series. 

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,371
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, May 19 2019 4:13 PM

I've got that in my queue to watch soon. I almost started it last night.

I just finished "Dead To Me"  on Netflix which was wonderfully quirky.

Jeff

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,265
Bronze Member
I’ll take a look.

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,265
Bronze Member

https://youtu.be/eIGGKSHMQOM

Page 17 of 17 (646 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL