This post has 625 Replies | 5 Followers

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,209
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Nov 25 2017 4:47 PM
Jeff:

Also the source of one of my favorite movie lines ever: "You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

My favourite is the shooting of the coke vending machine to get coins for the pay phone ... and the elevation of the Coca Cola Corporation’s authority Stick out tongue

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Nov 25 2017 4:49 PM

Groan! Why pun-ish us so?

I saw that movie on cable before I cut the cord, another tween movie with great effects and mediocre everything else, at least that's what this old fart thought. To a tween? Who knows, it was no Hunger Games though.

Hard to sleep with a subwoofer in the next room isn't it? Crying

Yeah, the "you'll have to answer to the Coca Cola company" is a classic. Col. Bat Guano, heh. I also loved "Gee I wish we had one of those doomsday machines too!"

I had a Dr. Strangelove themed party once, and bought a bottle of Everclear (pure alcohol) and a gallon of distilled water and put it out with the other drinks. No one partook, even though two of the guests were ex-B52 navigator/bombardiers.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,209
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Nov 25 2017 4:54 PM
Jeff:

Hard to sleep with a subwoofer in the next room isn't it?

Big Smile

No I was knackered !

But now I am here at 4am wide awake Surprise

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Nov 25 2017 5:18 PM

elephant:
Jeff:

Hard to sleep with a subwoofer in the next room isn't it?

Big Smile

No I was knackered !

But now I am here at 4am wide awake Surprise

Ah, alcohol, is there anything it can't do? Big Smile

Like I always say, beer, helping ugly people hook up since the days of the Egyptians.

Jeff

jimcaj
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 117
Silver Member
jimcaj replied on Thu, Nov 30 2017 11:35 PM

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 6,929
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Nov 30 2017 11:55 PM

Currently watching a Netflix Box-Set entitled 'The Dome' - which is a TV drama based on a Stephen King novel, apparently.

My wife chose it on a recommendation from a friend and it's gone from poor, to average, to very good, and has currently swerved back to poor at the beginning of Season 2.

I will forever recommend Prison Break, Walking Dead and Breaking Bad as the best box-sets ever though. Personal taste though, obviously.

Lee

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Dec 1 2017 12:07 AM

Lee, The Walking Dead is filmed just up the road from where I live. The town of Hamilton (think that was the name) is actually the town of Senoia. One reason I started watching it is that it was filmed near here. When Rick said "We'll head down to Newnan and then head west" I knew where he was talking about!

A very good show on Netflix is back for the 2nd season, "Glitch" is a very odd and unsettling and well done story about a small town in Australia where, suddenly one night, a group of dead people come back to life, and the problems with that and trying to figure out why. The dead aren't all from the same time, but come from the same cemetery, some are over 100 years dead, others just a couple of years.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Dec 23 2017 10:19 PM

Watched a great Christmas movie, very strange and different. "Strange Exports: A Christmas Movie." A Finnish film about people who dig up the real Santa, who apparently according to Finnish legend had evil elves who would kidnap bad children and bring them to Santa, who would eat them bones and all. Very odd, dark humor, and strange. Closest thing I can think of to it is the film "Troll Hunter." Same kind of odd vibe and such, but a great film, both are.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Dec 24 2017 6:03 AM

I meant “Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale.”

Jeff

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,151
Bronze Member
Although i haven’t hooked up on/ with beer for a little while, I have however, been watching , and just finished, Season 2 of The Crown.

I just loved it and the Princess Margaret character. Love it when they say “oh mummy”

It’s progressed well and where they went to bash the TV to get better reception and QE says “careful, it’s a rental” to even having “TV dinners”.

Very nice show and recommend.

Now i think someone was saying to watch Billionaires.
Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Sep 30 2018 5:39 PM

I've found two excellent movies lately.

First, an indie movie called "Ink." Surreal and charming story, dealing with the Storytellers, who come to you in the night to spread good dreams to encourage people, and the Incubus, who come to spread nightmares and tear people down. A "wanderer" steals the soul of a little girl to trade to the Incubus so they will accept him. Happy ending, and astonishingly creative visuals.

Second, a collection of experimental films by Neill Blomkamp, the director of "District 9" and "Chappie" called "Oats Studio: Volume 1." Some amazingly surreal and thought provoking things, and some stuff not as serious. The first three vignettes entitled "Rakka" stars Sigourney Weaver and is about Earth after an alien invasion. It's very seldom you find aliens in a film that look alien, ditto for their technology, but he pulls it off. The vignette "Firebase" set in the Vietnam War is very surreal and unsettling, and the final vignette "Zygote" is set in an arctic mining operation and brings to mind a superior monster version of John Carpenter's "The Thing." The production values and effects on most of these are as good or better than any large budget film.

Jeff

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,765
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Wed, Nov 14 2018 4:57 PM

This, but, what is it then? Click to enlarge!

Jacques

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Nov 24 2018 6:51 PM

"The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs" which is a film by the Coen brothers, a collection of six very unique and fascinating stories set in the US Old West. The first one is quite funny, the second one is humorous as well, the rest, well, they're fascinating, some are quite dark, like the vignette "Meal Ticket." That's about the darkest one. Brilliant film, incredible scenery, unique stories.

Jeff

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,765
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Mon, Dec 3 2018 11:11 AM

chartz:

This, but, what is it then? Click to enlarge!

Anybody? Whistle

Jacques

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Dec 14 2018 7:16 PM

Have no idea what that's from, but it's a nice Beo collection. From that angle the actor looks like Billy Bob Thornton. So, what's it from?

Jeff

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,765
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Fri, Dec 14 2018 11:04 PM

That’s him, yes, in Fargo season one. 

Jacques

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Dec 15 2018 12:15 AM

chartz:

That’s him, yes, in Fargo season one. 

Never watched the series, is it good? I know I quite enjoyed the Coen Brothers movie of the same name. I see it's an anthology crime series.

FWIW, I also really enjoyed the anthology series "True Detective," most especially the first season.

I've been watching a Netflix series, "The Last Kingdom," about the Danes vs. the Saxons in England, set about 100 years after the period where the show "Vikings" is set. Quite good.

Jeff

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,765
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Sat, Dec 15 2018 7:43 AM

Yes it is very a good series, extremely well played.

Thanks for the tips!

Jacques

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jan 3 2019 3:04 AM

Have got Fargo in my queue. Enjoying “Lucifer” on Netflix lately, the devil escaped Hell and move to Los Angeles and opened a nightclub named Lux. He starts helping a police detective because he likes seeing the right people punished. 

Also just finished the first run thru of Black Mirror, “Bandersnatch.” Stunning, wildly creative, and incredibly paranoid schizophrenic worth of PKDick at his best. 

Jeff

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 3,765
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Thu, Jan 3 2019 5:00 PM

Hi and Happy New Year!

I’ll add those to my shortlist, thanks! I’ve just bought a new 50 inch including Netflix access. Not B&O though, too dear...

Jacques

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jan 3 2019 9:49 PM

chartz:

Hi and Happy New Year!

I’ll add those to my shortlist, thanks! I’ve just bought a new 50 inch including Netflix access. Not B&O though, too dear...

Hope you enjoy the new TV. Big is always good! I’m still using a 6 year old 65 inch Panasonic plasma that has an amazing picture. When it finally dies I’ll go bigger, but my living room is barn sized so it can handle a bigger set. Hopefully it’ll be like the old Panasonic plasma 42 inch I have downstairs which is still going strong after 12 years  

I’m about halfway through a documentary on Netflix called “Sad Hill Unearthed” which is about fans of the movie “The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly” who are restoring the cemetery set where the final gun duel took place. Interesting what lengths the fans are going through to do this  

Jeff

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Feb 3 2019 2:57 PM

Lately I've been working through a Canadian comedy series, "Corner Gas," which is quite funny. It was apparently the top rated Canadian made show ever on Canadian TV, and often had walk ons by various Canadian politicians, including former and then current Prime Minister. Takes place in a tiny town called Dog River. In one episode the guys are getting their garage band back together, they're wailing away when the old father storms in and says shut up, he can hear them all the way across town. The son replies "You can hear us two blocks away...cooool!"

Watched on Amazon. Also on Amazon is a pretty good movie called "Wild Bill" about Wild Bill Hickok, starring Jeff Bridges. Wildly inaccurate, especially regarding his death in Deadwood, Dakota Territory, but still manages to be an enjoyable and interesting movie, with some surreal flashbacks. Bridges does a great job.

Finally, watched "Polar" on Netflix. Really off the wall violent and explicit film in a kind of buzz cut Tarantino like style starring Mads Mikkelsen as a retired assassin. The "company" he works for invests for their retirement but if their retired assassins die the company is the beneficiary, so since he's owed 8 million dollars the company does its usual, kill off the assassins after they retire and get the money back. Doesn't work well with him. Interesting film, but not for the squeamish.

Jeff

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 6,929
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Feb 3 2019 3:22 PM

Watch this on BBC iPlayer if you can. Go find yourself a VPN service if you can't. Or, buy the DVD. Absolutely incredible film...

Here's the trailer...

THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD

Absolutely riveting to watch. Genius by Peter Jackson.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,674
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Feb 3 2019 3:57 PM

Jeff:

Finally, watched "Polar" on Netflix. Really off the wall violent and explicit film in a kind of buzz cut Tarantino like style starring Mads Mikkelsen as a retired assassin. 

I thought this was terrible! Received quite a few 1-star reviews in the UK. The first half of the film reminded me of an awful Kill Bill attempt, with the last half a low-budget Keanu Reeves John Wick!

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,212
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Feb 3 2019 5:28 PM

Took me a while to get over the jump/buzz cut style of "Polar" in the beginning, I don't like that style (it was used a lot in a movie called "Spun" by the same director) but I stuck it out because I enjoy Mads Mikkelsen's performances. I enjoyed it though it's far from perfect.

Lee, I'll keep on the lookout for that. I know the recent movie "Spitfire" about the plane with lots of interviews with surviving pilots from the Battle Of Britain and even women ferry pilots was fascinating, and a wonderful tribute to the Greatest Generation.

Jeff

DMacri
Top 150 Contributor
United States
Posts 619
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Feb 3 2019 10:24 PM
Getting ready to watch the NFL Super Bowl. Hooked up my second BeoSystem 3 to my front projector just this morning. Just an awesome image and great sound quality experience.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Page 16 of 16 (626 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL