Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

A Beovox MS150 Project

Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 213 Replies | 5 Followers

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Fri, Mar 30 2012 5:31 AM

While delaying the completion of the Beomaster 6000 project (I have been recapping some other amplifiers before diving into the volume motor repair), I came across these Beovox MS150 speakers that are in need of restoration. The MS150 speakers have been on my radar for a while now but this was my first chance to get a pair and they were within driving distance (for me) to pick up...so no shipping. 

As you can see, the 8 inch and 10 inch drivers need new foam surrounds. That is to be expected. I haven't opened them up to check the crossovers yet but I am figuring I will be replacing those capacitors as well.  The real issue I will have is the top grill covers. Both speakers are missing those. Even without them I had to buy these speakers. If anyone has any spare top grill covers please let me know. 

I am also trying to decide the best place to order surrounds. I have bought surrounds off Ebay for several of my CX100, CX50, S55, S120.2 and RL140 speakers.  All of those refoam projects came out great. I imagine the same surrounds for the S120.2 8 inch driver should also work for the MS150. I will see if that company also supplies the 10 inch surrounds. 

In any case, parts will have to be ordered so it will be a couple weeks before I can really get started.  

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

...with the grill covers (no top cover)

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,910 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:06 AM
Verified by Jason

When I had a pair of these, I had them reconed with a rubber surround. The sound was excellent - Recone Lab were so impressed they put them through their sound chamber - ruler flat response! They are the pair pictured here.

Peter

All Replies

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

The sound dampening material is different between the MS150 and MS150.2

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Here is the inside of the cabinets

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
184 Posts
Gold Member

Hi

Thought you might like to see re-cloth job on ms150 frets, these are a second pair of ms150s i have but the old cloth was faded and had lots of holes in them so i had some spare speaker fabric that matched the sofa and gave it a go.

marc 

j0hnbarker
Top 500 Contributor
187 Posts
Bronze Member

marc:

Hi

Thought you might like to see re-cloth job on ms150 frets, these are a second pair of ms150s i have but the old cloth was faded and had lots of holes in them so i had some spare speaker fabric that matched the sofa and gave it a go.

marc 

FCoolCoolk me!!!

marc
Top 500 Contributor
s. wales uk
184 Posts
Gold Member
marc replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 3:15 PM
Does that comment mean good or bad

Marc
indyaudio
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

Great thread, very well done and most informative. Just picked up a pair of MS150s and will be doing the 4 refoams. I love my RL140s and refoamed them awhile back without removing dust caps or having to shim.  Going to try that approach here too.  Here are a few pics.  

indyaudio
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

Came with the original stands, cabinets are really nice overall, all grille pieces in tact, one is missing a little trim.  Will use your excellent thread to get mine back in the game again, thanks! 

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
239 Posts
Bronze Member
Johan replied on Sat, May 11 2013 6:50 AM

Beautiful Volvo you have there!

indyaudio
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Johan.  '73 P1800ES. I'm the 2nd owner, bought from the original Swedish owner out of Southern California, rust free and in great shape. 

jesperb
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Silver Member

Yeah, did think that looked like a nice P1800 there Big Smile

Beogram TX, Beovox S45, Beovox MC 120.2, BeoSound 1, CX50, Beovox S75, Beomaster 2400

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor replied on Sun, May 12 2013 12:14 AM

It looks like you found some MS150s with very good cabinets.  I hope to get my MS150.2 pair up and running this month too.

-sonavor

indyaudio
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes, I'd rate the cabinets 9 of 10. Great wood overall.  

All 6 grille pieces in place, some tabs broken, any suggestions on repairing them or replacement of some of the metal trim? One piece on the lower section is broken and missing.  Any advice on the front black surface - as noted in this post, it's kind of funky, sticky, etc. What's best to make it look new? I oiled the cabinets and the black surface, but maybe something else on it would be better?  

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

I haven't replaced the grill cloth yet but the metal (aluminum) frame pieces should pull apart. Replacing the grill cloth should be pretty straight forward. On the tabs, I have fixed the tabs on the S55 and MC120.2 speakers I have.  I posted a fix on the Beoworld archived forum for the posts that hold the grills in place. In the case where the plastic part of the frame is missing, you may have to order some plastic sheets (not sure what kind offhand) from a plastic supply house and cut out something to fit. I haven't tried anything like that yet though.

-sonavor

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
5,423 Posts
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, May 12 2013 5:59 AM

Amazing thread John. Reading it for the first time now and got interested since I got a MS150 stand new in the box. Now I only need to find this pair of speakers to fit on. I was in Houston a while ago, forgot that you're from Texas (send you the service manual) or else I certainly would have contacted you. Maybe next time...

Brengen & Ophalen

indyaudio
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

Sonavor,

Thanks very much for the link to thread. I will use your technique to fix all of my broken pegs!  I'll update thread as the restoration continues. I am looking forward to hearing these speakers as I do love the sound of my RL140s and expect the MS150s to be far superior.  

Page 9 of 15 (214 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL