Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

A Beovox MS150 Project

Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 213 Replies | 5 Followers

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Fri, Mar 30 2012 5:31 AM

While delaying the completion of the Beomaster 6000 project (I have been recapping some other amplifiers before diving into the volume motor repair), I came across these Beovox MS150 speakers that are in need of restoration. The MS150 speakers have been on my radar for a while now but this was my first chance to get a pair and they were within driving distance (for me) to pick up...so no shipping. 

As you can see, the 8 inch and 10 inch drivers need new foam surrounds. That is to be expected. I haven't opened them up to check the crossovers yet but I am figuring I will be replacing those capacitors as well.  The real issue I will have is the top grill covers. Both speakers are missing those. Even without them I had to buy these speakers. If anyone has any spare top grill covers please let me know. 

I am also trying to decide the best place to order surrounds. I have bought surrounds off Ebay for several of my CX100, CX50, S55, S120.2 and RL140 speakers.  All of those refoam projects came out great. I imagine the same surrounds for the S120.2 8 inch driver should also work for the MS150. I will see if that company also supplies the 10 inch surrounds. 

In any case, parts will have to be ordered so it will be a couple weeks before I can really get started.  

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

...with the grill covers (no top cover)

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,908 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:06 AM
Verified by Jason

When I had a pair of these, I had them reconed with a rubber surround. The sound was excellent - Recone Lab were so impressed they put them through their sound chamber - ruler flat response! They are the pair pictured here.

Peter

All Replies

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
585 Posts
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Sun, Apr 22 2012 9:44 PM

Thanks for the guide. I have allready had them opened, and it was pretty straightforward as I knew how to do it from my experiences with the Beovox MS150's I had a few years back. 

A few pictures of the drivers before and after removing the old surrounds:

I will post the last pictures of the progress with my MS150.2's in the "What are you working on now?" thread. 

- Dennis

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Well look what arrived in the mail all the way from Denmark.  Dillen was able to source me a pair of 8 inch replacement drivers for my MS-150 speakers (thank you very much).  These are drivers he put new surrounds on already.  It will probably be this weekend before I can install these and put the borrowed 8 inch driver (currently in one of my MS-150 speakers) back into the MC-120.2 it came from.  I have been listening to the MS-150 pair for a while now and I am very pleased with their performance.  They are loud.  I am wondering how they will sound when accompanied by the MC-120.2 pair?

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

I installed the new 8 inch drivers from Dillen in the MS150's today and put the borrowed driver back in the MC120.2.  Here is a picture of the MC120.2 and the MS150 after the driver re-install (note: I still haven't put the MC120.2 bottom port grill back in).  The speakers sound great.  For now this wraps up my MS150 work. I am keeping watch for the top grill covers for the MS150 as mine didn't come with any.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,312 Posts
Gold Member

Looking great - and I believe sounding too!

The side-by-side picture reminds me of the CX50-CX100 pair... the bigger of the pair having simply one third more of casework to house another driver. Probably not so in practice Big Smile

--mika

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
1,268 Posts
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, Jun 24 2012 5:14 PM

Can't believe how small those S-120's look compared to the 150's lol!

Olly

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

The next series of pictures compare my original Beovox MS150 speakers (as repaired in this thread) with a second pair that I recently aquired and with a pair of MS150.2 speakers (that I aquired back in December). In the picture below you can see the front drivers and the back of the cabinet for my first pair of MS150 speakers. Note that the back is also rosewood. The second pair of MS150's that I will show following this post don't have the rosewood backing so I am thinking this pair was the first model in the series.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Here are the second pair of Beovox MS150 speakers. The drivers are the same as the first pair but the back of the speaker now has a black panel that is trimmed with a typical Bang and Olufsen aluminum edge. This pair needs to be refoamed, recapped and some refinishing on the wood veneer.  The original owner apparently left the speakers exposed to the sun so there is some fading on the wood. In addition, the wood surface does not feel nice and smooth as it should.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Here are the Beovox MS150.2 speakers.  The mid-range driver is different from the MS150 pairs.  The back is the same black panel trimmed in aluminum.  However, this model adds traditional speaker connections as well as the DIN connection.  This pair also needs refoaming and recapping.  The wood veneer has scratches on the top so it needs to be refinished too.  The top, front, left corner also had a chip in the veneer.  The previous owner glued it back in place but didn't do that good of a job.  I'll show a closer picture of that after this one.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Here you can see the attempted chip repair.  I am not sure if I can remove and re-attach it properly.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

This picture shows the backs of the original MS150 (on the right) and the second MS150.  My first MS150 set could also do with a refinishing but I don't want to tackle that right now.

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
585 Posts
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 9:16 PM

Wow, three pairs... Surprise

I'm still having trouble figuring out where to store the one pair I have! Erm.. 

I guess it sounds pretty amazing when you have two pairs connected at the same time. I had a pair of MS150s and MC120.2s connected to a BeoMaster 8000 a few years ago, and it sounded pretty good if I remember correctly. 

Too bad, that I'm out of space - I don't have the BM8000 anymore and I might have to sell the MC120.2s. And my Pentas are back in place, so the MS150.2s stand unused right now. Sad

I hope you'll update us on the progress with refurbishing the new pairs - keep up the good work! Smile

- Dennis

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 10:08 PM

I only have my original pair of MS150's usable right now.  The second pair of MS150's and the pair of MS150.2's need refoaming and recapping (crossovers).  I have foam surrounds for one pair but I will have to wait as I have a Beogram 8002 project I am in the middle of.  After the Beogram, I need to finish building the Classic Audio Tester project that Beoworld member - classic started (here).  I was waiting for some parts to arrive on the tester project so I started the Beogram project. 

I didn't set out to aquire three pairs of the MS150 series. You Beoworld members out there that have the virus know how that can happen though. Like you I don't have room for them all.  I will have to decide which one (or two) to keep. That is one reason I started looking at the differences between them.  The real test will be a listening test to compare them.  I will keep updating this thread as I work on the new pair. 

Speaking of matching up Beovox speakers with a Beomaster - For a while I had my Beomaster 4400 driving a pair of S75 and S45.2 speakers.  That combination really sounded good too. 

-sonavor

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Looking inside the three sets of MS150's I see that the crossover boards are different.  Even between the original MS150 pair (with the wood back) and the newer pair.  Here is a picture of the crossover board from my first pair of Beovox MS150's. Note: This picture was prior to the recap.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Here is the crossover of the second pair of MS150's.  This is the only pair that I can read the type and serial number of.  The type is 6411.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,155 Posts
Gold Member

Last, here is the crossover of the MS150.2.

Page 8 of 15 (214 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL