Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

A Beovox MS150 Project

Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 213 Replies | 5 Followers

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,791 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Fri, Mar 30 2012 5:31 AM

While delaying the completion of the Beomaster 6000 project (I have been recapping some other amplifiers before diving into the volume motor repair), I came across these Beovox MS150 speakers that are in need of restoration. The MS150 speakers have been on my radar for a while now but this was my first chance to get a pair and they were within driving distance (for me) to pick up...so no shipping. 

As you can see, the 8 inch and 10 inch drivers need new foam surrounds. That is to be expected. I haven't opened them up to check the crossovers yet but I am figuring I will be replacing those capacitors as well.  The real issue I will have is the top grill covers. Both speakers are missing those. Even without them I had to buy these speakers. If anyone has any spare top grill covers please let me know. 

I am also trying to decide the best place to order surrounds. I have bought surrounds off Ebay for several of my CX100, CX50, S55, S120.2 and RL140 speakers.  All of those refoam projects came out great. I imagine the same surrounds for the S120.2 8 inch driver should also work for the MS150. I will see if that company also supplies the 10 inch surrounds. 

In any case, parts will have to be ordered so it will be a couple weeks before I can really get started.  

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,791 Posts
Gold Member

...with the grill covers (no top cover)

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,671 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:06 AM
Verified by Jason

When I had a pair of these, I had them reconed with a rubber surround. The sound was excellent - Recone Lab were so impressed they put them through their sound chamber - ruler flat response! They are the pair pictured here.

Peter

All Replies

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,791 Posts
Gold Member

...with the grill covers (no top cover)

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,969 Posts
Bronze Member

Wonderful speakers, the top covers are not too difficult to make, the challenge is to find the aluminum profile, I would try with a 3 Mm. black plexi (perspex) route to fit the alu profile, glue front to top angle, glue fabric and attach aluminum profile.

BTW where do you buy the surrounds ?

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,791 Posts
Gold Member

I bought my surrounds for my other Beovox speakers off from Good HiFi.  So far their surrounds have worked good for me.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,969 Posts
Bronze Member

sonavor:

I bought my surrounds for my other Beovox speakers off from Good HiFi.  So far their surrounds have worked good for me.

I tried with Good HiFi for 6.5" to RL 140, but he offered me totally wrong dimensions, lately I was mailing with Audiofriends, and he really knows what he is talking about, don't know if he is on US bay

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,671 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:06 AM
Verified by Jason

When I had a pair of these, I had them reconed with a rubber surround. The sound was excellent - Recone Lab were so impressed they put them through their sound chamber - ruler flat response! They are the pair pictured here.

Peter

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
1,268 Posts
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:23 AM

Nice find! Can't believe they use the same Phase links as are on my S-120's - they look tiny on these! Never heard a pair, but the wife would not allow them anywhere near the house due to size alone!

BTW have you got the stands?

Olly

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
1,268 Posts
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:28 AM

Hi Soren is it not the other way round? I am sure Goodhifi is the better supplier - I got my RL140 surrounds off them including dustcaps and while I have not yet fitted they seem absolutely fine when offered up!

Olly

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,959 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 11:36 AM

I have returned a couple of (quite different !) MS150 surrounds sold as a guaranteed fit to Good-Hifi as can be
read somewhere in the archives.
A third pair came in with a pair of speakers for repairs and being more than 1cm too big inner diameter (and still
guaranteed to fit!) they were thrown out.
Only use Good-Hifi  if you have better luck than I.

Martin

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
1,268 Posts
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 1:02 PM

I am surprised tbh. I am sure my s120 foams came from them, which were a good fit, and like said I have RL140 and forgot to mention penta foams that I have yet to do, but checked all carefully and they look pretty faithful to the originals!

The one thing that puts me off audiofriends is the lack of on line shop where you can see that they have a specific foam for a specific driver, not too keen on sending them dimensions and not knowing exactly what I am going to get back! Also they don't appear to sell dustcaps which obviously given some drivers is essential!

I must check out the archived forums and see what other peoples experiences are over the long term!

Olly

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,969 Posts
Bronze Member

Step1:

Hi Soren is it not the other way round? I am sure Goodhifi is the better supplier - I got my RL140 surrounds off them including dustcaps and while I have not yet fitted they seem absolutely fine when offered up!

I have only had mailing contact with Good HiFi, I asked for 6.5" for 140s, he gave me an offer for a surround type about 15 Mm smaller OD than the original, I responded to him that they would be too small and never heard from him again, with Fred from AF I've had long discussions about speaker repair and constructions, Fred knows what he is doing, and wont sell you anything before he has the exact dimensions from you.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,969 Posts
Bronze Member

Step1:
The one thing that puts me off audiofriends is the lack of on line shop where you can see that they have a specific foam for a specific driver

AFs webshop is a mess, but if you go by dimensions you will find it there, Fred is aware of this and working on it. Just mail him speaker type, which driver, ID, OD and cone D, he will then find the right one.

root
Top 500 Contributor
220 Posts
Bronze Member
root replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 3:36 PM

I have refoamed my MS150 speakers using Goodhifis foam rings. Seems I was lucky as they were a great fit. But the job was a pain in the Stick out tongue anyway. These speakers are incredibly heavy and the front covers are tacky and difficult to lift off after all that years. also there is a some kind of coating on the plastic front frame that detoriates and gets sticky as well, at least on mine. did some of you experience the same?

also, I think goodhifis rings differ in quality all the time, the foam rings for the CX range never look the same when I order, sometimes they are light grey, next time dark grey, and the size differs as well, sometimes smaller, then bigger. but their rubber rings for the Lab 6000 range are always the same excellent quality.

Medogsfat
Top 25 Contributor
Leeds West Yorkshire
3,896 Posts
Bronze Member

Welcome to the world of MS150's.

They are total beasts & a real physical effort to work on. I completely refurbished a pair a few years ago & are the only speakers I have worked on where I only had the space & energy to do one at a time!

I needed a wide flat crowbar to seperate the fronts from the cabinets, they were stuck that tightly.

They turned out beautiful though (my words - not the wifes) and are now with a really nice chap in Ireland who has fallen out with his neighboursEmbarrassed

Chris.

Søren Hammer
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
953 Posts
Bronze Member

Congratulations with your purchase, always happy to see another MS150 owner (though I wouldn't like to be your neighbour)  Laughing

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

Page 1 of 15 (214 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL