Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

A Beovox MS150 Project

Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 213 Replies | 5 Followers

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,175 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Fri, Mar 30 2012 5:31 AM

While delaying the completion of the Beomaster 6000 project (I have been recapping some other amplifiers before diving into the volume motor repair), I came across these Beovox MS150 speakers that are in need of restoration. The MS150 speakers have been on my radar for a while now but this was my first chance to get a pair and they were within driving distance (for me) to pick up...so no shipping. 

As you can see, the 8 inch and 10 inch drivers need new foam surrounds. That is to be expected. I haven't opened them up to check the crossovers yet but I am figuring I will be replacing those capacitors as well.  The real issue I will have is the top grill covers. Both speakers are missing those. Even without them I had to buy these speakers. If anyone has any spare top grill covers please let me know. 

I am also trying to decide the best place to order surrounds. I have bought surrounds off Ebay for several of my CX100, CX50, S55, S120.2 and RL140 speakers.  All of those refoam projects came out great. I imagine the same surrounds for the S120.2 8 inch driver should also work for the MS150. I will see if that company also supplies the 10 inch surrounds. 

In any case, parts will have to be ordered so it will be a couple weeks before I can really get started.  

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,175 Posts
Gold Member

...with the grill covers (no top cover)

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,920 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:06 AM
Verified by Jason

When I had a pair of these, I had them reconed with a rubber surround. The sound was excellent - Recone Lab were so impressed they put them through their sound chamber - ruler flat response! They are the pair pictured here.

Peter

All Replies

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,175 Posts
Gold Member

From the break in the metal trim, you can carefully pry the trim away from the plastic frame. Do it slowly and a little bit at a time.

Don't open up one end and continue around until you pull it off the other end. That will likely cause an unwanted break at the corners.

Instead, only open up one side enough to start prying the next side up.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,175 Posts
Gold Member

Continue prying just enough of the trim out as you continue all around the frame. Eventually there will be enough clearance to remove the trim completely while having it all intact.

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
1,091 Posts
Founder
h1npw replied on Sat, May 7 2016 12:40 PM

Looking forward to seeing your method of attaching the cloth to the frets!

Cheers

Nigel

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,175 Posts
Gold Member

It will be at least a couple of weeks before I do anything on my MS150's. This time of year calls for a lot of outside work on the weekends. Changing the cloth is fairly easy though. You pull the old cloth out of the slots, then pull them off the frets. As you do that you can see where the old cloth was glued to the frets. Use the old cloth as a template for cutting the new cloth piece. Clean off any glue residue on the fret and apply new glue, then apply the new cloth.

I like using some spray adhesive like 3M Super 77. There are other types that work good as well. You can probably even use very thin, double-sided tape.

Use a small, flat piece of metal (or other rigid material) to push the cloth end into the slots of the frets. That way it is really easy to re-attach the metal trim as you only have to focus on being careful not to bend the corners too far.

sonavor

Page 15 of 15 (214 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL