Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolink Converter dead?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 0 Followers

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,243 Posts
Silver Member
BenSA posted on Fri, May 10 2013 6:44 PM

i have beolab 8000's connected to my Beosystem 3500 which is connected to my Beovision 7 using a Beolink Converter. Everything worked fine. Then yesterday I came to use the tv and no sound!!! I tried a different ML cable, no difference. Connected the speakers directly to the Beovision,...there was sound. Tested the TV/Aux input on the Beomaster with the Cd player...sound came through. Switched everything off,,,switched back on...no luck. Now what? Is the Beolink Converter now dead? I just bought it off Ebay and had it sent all the way from Germany to South Africa,

Any ideas!!

Thanks

Ben

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,590 Posts
Bronze Member

I don't know if it helps you, but...

...the converter must be turned on AFTER the tv and the audiosystem is turned on!

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
1,456 Posts
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sat, May 11 2013 5:34 PM

BenSA:
Any ideas!!

Check for lizards :-0

Hope someone can help.

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,243 Posts
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Sun, May 12 2013 8:50 PM

@Millemissen.....I did try that but no luck at all!!

@Valve1....no attack of geckos this time....but I am wondering if maybe more damage was done to the tv than I thought and it damaged the Beolink converter?

Well its still not working and I'm about to throw the Tv on the dump I'm so angry!!!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,590 Posts
Bronze Member

I would try with a new converter before trowing the tv away.

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,243 Posts
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Mon, May 13 2013 11:14 AM

Unfortunately I don't have access to another converter...I would have to buy one from overseas again and its really too much trouble.

Is there anyway of testing the Converter?

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
2,719 Posts
Founder
stefan replied on Mon, May 13 2013 11:47 AM

How does your BM3500 react, if you select a video source (press TV, DVD...)? in standalone mode / NO link connected, just BM3500 and BL8000?

Testing procedure I`d recommend is:

1 - disconnect all devices from the mains for about 5 - 10 minutes.

2 - reconnect everything with BL converter being the last one in the row.

3 - Wait a minute.

4 - Reprogram options: A.OPT 2 , V.OPT 0

5 - test audio modes RADIO, CD... test video modes TV, DVD...(should activate yout BV7 AND your BM3500 in AUX mode incl. BL8000)

Hope this helps....

Good luck

Stefan

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,243 Posts
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Mon, May 13 2013 4:32 PM

Hi Stefan Thanks for your suggestions. The BM3500 works perfectly without the link connected as it does when it is connected. Cd player works..radio etc......

I reconnected everything as per your directions......when I press DVD or TV the BM3500 comes on to AUX but the BV7 does not come on. There seems to be no communication via the link which can only mean to me that the link controller has stopped working. Since the TV has been repaired before all I can think of is that there is a problem with the TV and it damaged the link controller? Unfortunately I do not have any other B&O equipment to test the controller on or know of anyone.

Just to also clarify, that when I connected the CD3500 to the TV/AUX input on the BM 3500 the CD did not start when i pressed AUX on the BM3500, I had to press play on CD3500 too. When I pressed off, they both went off at the same time...is that supposed to happen? On the CD input the CD3500 works perfectly.

Anyway it seems like I have hit quite a snag......really can't go through the effort and expense buying another link controller from overseas if the same thing is going to happen. Of course there are no B&O agents in my city and everytime I go to a high end audio shop they flatly refuse to help.

Thanks

Ben

BeoHut
Top 150 Contributor
472 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoHut replied on Mon, May 13 2013 5:31 PM
Just to make sure it is your Converter, try to connect a MP3-player with a DIN to RCA/minijack on your Beomaster and select AUX on the Beomaster for the sound. If this works, the connections from the AUX plug on your Beomaster is working (at least for audio). This test is not for the Datalink.

It's worth trying an to make exclusions. Just my thoughts . . .

It could be that the Datalink-pins are not correct working on your BM or the AUX cable can cause the problems.
Beofan67
Not Ranked
NETHERLANDS
49 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by Beofan67

Hi Ben,

Can it be that your BV7 needs another software update? Last week I had problems with my BV11, converter and beosound3000 and BS3500. The BV11 reported "link to converter failed" when turning the BS3000 on. After checking with my dealer he confirmed more users had reported this problem suddenly. After updating my BV11 with the latest software update it worked again. 

Software can be found via the official B&O site / customer service.

Good luck

Beofan with current setup Beovison Eclipse 55, Beosound 35, Beolab 6000, Beolab 11

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
2,719 Posts
Founder
stefan replied on Mon, May 13 2013 6:57 PM

BenSA:

Hi Stefan Thanks for your suggestions. The BM3500 works perfectly without the link connected as it does when it is connected. Cd player works..radio etc......

I reconnected everything as per your directions......when I press DVD or TV the BM3500 comes on to AUX but the BV7 does not come on. There seems to be no communication via the link which can only mean to me that the link controller has stopped working. Since the TV has been repaired before all I can think of is that there is a problem with the TV and it damaged the link controller? Unfortunately I do not have any other B&O equipment to test the controller on or know of anyone.

Just to also clarify, that when I connected the CD3500 to the TV/AUX input on the BM 3500 the CD did not start when i pressed AUX on the BM3500, I had to press play on CD3500 too. When I pressed off, they both went off at the same time...is that supposed to happen? On the CD input the CD3500 works perfectly.

Anyway it seems like I have hit quite a snag......really can't go through the effort and expense buying another link controller from overseas if the same thing is going to happen. Of course there are no B&O agents in my city and everytime I go to a high end audio shop they flatly refuse to help.

Thanks

Ben

Ben,

sorry to read that it didn`t help. Good idea to test the AUX port via your CD3500.

Are you ready for further testings? Seems your BM3500 is working correctly (CD3500 doesn`t know that it is an AUX source, it wants to be a CD...:)

I`d try another option setting:

1 - Set A.OPT 0 and V.OPT2. Now your BV should respond to video- AND audio commands. If you press CD, it should activate your BV in audiomode and your BS3500 in CD mode sending sound from BM to BV7.

2 - Set A.OPT 1 and V.OPT 1. Now your BM should react to audio commands AND AV video commands. If you press TV it should activate your BV.

Pressing AV - TV should activate your BV7 (in TV mode) and open AUX port of your BM3500.

Your BV has been repaired lately? Did your setup work after the repair? Maybe the ML module of your BV7 is damaged?

But let`s see the results of your testings first ...

Good luck

Stefan

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,243 Posts
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Mon, May 13 2013 8:01 PM

Thanks everyone for their suggestions....

@Beofan67 will look up on the software update!

@Stefan.....the link converter was only added after the repair. It was a power problem..a lizard got into the tv and short circuited something on the main chassis board. The link worked perfectly for about 3-4 weeks.

The 1st opt setting....nothing happens....BM3500 nor the BV 7 switches on.

The 2nd opt setting.....the BM3500 comes on...BV7 doesn't but originally I would press AV-TV to get the BM3500 on then I would press TV again for the BV7 to come one. Everything would work fine.

I had the Beolabs connected to the TV for quite a while and they were never damaged. Is it possible that the TV can damage the converter? Think we might be on a losing streak with this unfortunately.

Thanks

Ben 

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,243 Posts
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Mon, May 13 2013 8:11 PM
@Beofan67....the software update on the B&O site is for the HD version of the BV7....unfortunately I have the MK1 non-HD...so I am guessing its the incorrect update.
RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
477 Posts
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Tue, May 14 2013 9:03 AM

Hi,

for the case 1 the TV should have the speakers connected and should react on video _and_audio commands if your beolink converter and cabling would be correct. This would imply that pressing RADIO would switch on the BM3500 and the TV in Audio Mode so that the music can be heard through the speakers of the TV.

In case 2 (both units are in option '1' _and_ correct working converter, incl. cabling) you would get a correct function.

There's a 3rd option possible that would be what you proably want: AUDIO in Option '2' and TV in option '0'. This way the sound is always routed to the BM3500 with the Beolab 8000 connected and the TV doesn't receive itself the IR from your Beolink but gets it via the masterlink connection from the beolink converter (1611) via the 7-pin Datalink cable connected to the BM3500 AUX Plug.

But in every case you don't have to press TV and AV-TV to get the TV sound at the BM3500 if everything works fine. So there must have been a problem before.

The correct for your situation should be Audio Option 1 and Video Option 1 if the speakers are connected to your BM3500. Check if your cable from the BM3500 to the Beolink converter has a 7-pin connector on every side and especially the lowest left and right pins have an connection to their corresponding pins at the other end of the cable. Those pins are for transporting the data between systems!

Ralph-Marcus

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
2,719 Posts
Founder
stefan replied on Tue, May 14 2013 3:53 PM

BenSA:

The 1st opt setting....nothing happens....BM3500 nor the BV 7 switches on.

Does that mean, your BV7 does not respond to audio- nor video commands in V.OPT 2 ?

Try to disconnect BV7 from Masterlink, set to V.OPT 2 and activate audio sources by pressing RADIO, CD...

Can you access the BV service menu?

There should be some information about the ML module.

BenSA:

The 2nd opt setting.....the BM3500 comes on...BV7 doesn't but originally I would press AV-TV to get the BM3500 on then I would press TV again for the BV7 to come one. Everything would work fine.

Could you explain more precisely? What did you select, when "the BM comes on..." Did your BV respond to AV - CD, or AV - RADIO?

This would tell us, that there is definitely communication between your devices.

If you set up your system as A.OPT 0 - V.OPT 2 installation, add a Powerlink cable to the BL converter and BM3500.

This will "tell" the BV7 if your audio system is activated or in STDBY mode - sorry I forgot to post this before....

Stefan

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL