Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BG8000, glue for hinge, aluminium lid

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
15 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Leif posted on Tue, Oct 19 2021 2:49 PM

Hi,

The small hinge in the centre of the aluminium lid has fallen off (the one that dampens the movement of the lid). I tried with two-component epoxy, but it broke off again. Anything else I should use or haven´t I been careful enough?

BR

Leif

All Replies

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,701 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

Hi Leif,

You are referring to the black, plastic part the fits into the damper, right?  Not the metal lid itself.  Is it this piece I showed on a recent Beolover Blog (the 6th photo down from the top)?
I found that piece to be really difficult given the small amount of plastic surface to bond.  

To have a chance it would have to be thoroughly cleaned of any previous debris. Both the broken piece and the piece it attaches to.
I would use a slow curing epoxy so you have time to properly setup a clamp to press the two pieces together.  It would probably be easiest to pull out the long bar for the lid and dust cover lids so you can work with the parts by themselves. 

The two pieces you are trying to bond would need to be clamped together for at least 24 hours to let the epoxy cure.

In my case I ended up getting a replacement piece from a parts unit.

-sonavor

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
15 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Leif replied on Wed, Oct 20 2021 10:34 AM

Hi sonavor,

Thanks for a thorough reply. Yes, it's that hinge and yes, it´s a tricky one. I think I will try again with slow curing two component epoxy. If that isn´t working I got an idea to drill 1 mm holes from the top and find some very small screws. These + glue might work or break the hinge into pieces :-)

In addition I find that the damping paste has become so dense that it adds unnecessary force to the hinge. Do you happen to know of a suitable dampjng paste?

Once again thanks

Leif

Matthew6598
Not Ranked
1 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member

In the event that you need to say thank you ! We'd truly appreciate and be grateful in the event that you leave a decent survey on the module page. This is the most ideal approach to say thank you to this task and backing group.

 

myccpay

  • Filed under:
Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
15 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Leif replied on Wed, Oct 20 2021 11:13 AM

HI, I would of course do that. Pls explain how I do it.

BR

Leif

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,701 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

Leif:

In addition I find that the damping paste has become so dense that it adds unnecessary force to the hinge. Do you happen to know of a suitable dampjng paste?

Hi Lief,  the original damping grease was called Kilopoise 0868 by Rocol. You can find it for sale in small quantities on Ebay but it is pretty expensive. It doesn't take much though. The service manual calls for two streaks of it on the lever.

Typically I haven't seen it harden. It is usually the opposite so if your damping material has become too dense I would suggest cleaning out that lever compartment and applying new grease as required.  Substitutes for the original Kilopoise 0868 are PG-44LS and PG-44A by NewgateSimms.  I have used the latter and it seems the same as the original damping grease.  The quantities you have to purchase it in make it too expensive but I have seen small quantities of the PG-44A on Ebay as well. 

Nyogel 767A is another damping grease NewgateSimms carries.  I have used that before.  It works okay but it is less dense than the PG-44A so I prefer the PG-44A now.

Hope that helps.

-sonavor

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
15 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Leif replied on Wed, Oct 20 2021 8:05 PM

Hi Sonavor,

Once again thanks for your help.

Leif

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
15 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Leif replied on Wed, Oct 27 2021 2:39 PM

I think I found a solution to the broken hinge: Three 2 x 5mm self-cutting screws in combination with slow curing epoxy.

I drilled 2 mm holes, expanded them with a larger drill, so the screws are flush with the plate, glued it all, including the screws and screw holes with epoxy, tightened the screws, clamped it and left it to cure/dry for a couple of days.

It seems strong and stable as opposed to the first attempt with epoxy only, which broke immediately.

The BG8000 is being long-term tested now and both the hinge and everything else seems to work.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,701 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

That is nice work Lief and a good save of the hinge.

-sonavor

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
15 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Leif replied on Thu, Oct 28 2021 10:34 AM

Thanks :-)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL