Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

missing BG4000

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 122 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member
Craig posted on Tue, Oct 19 2021 11:56 AM

Following a protracted delivery process Justin was finally able to get this to me, seems it had fallen off DHL's radar a week or so ago and we feared the worst........

All Replies

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member

The lamp issue finally resolved I will complete the capacitor replacement.............

manfy
Top 500 Contributor
163 Posts
Bronze Member
manfy replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 9:02 AM

Craig:

And now the neon lamp I received today........which is igniting at a somewhat  higher voltage, I think what Manfy was saying was that the ignition voltage got higher with age.....doesnt look that way? however.....now we have two working lamps ;¬)

Yes, the ignition voltage keeps rising over the lifetime of a neon lamp; that's the consensus in engineering textbooks -- but it is not the only failure mode of a neon lamp. In an older online textbook (from the early 70s) I read also that you might see a fairly big variance in those values even when you're looking at two lamps from the same maker with the same model number.

<Here> I found some general and interesting info on neon lamps with following statement:

"[...]  Neon lamps gradually decline in light output as electrodes evaporate and condense on the inside of the glass envelope. This situation is gradual with failure defined as a 50% decrease from the original brightness. As neon lamps age, the firing voltages slowly increase until reaching the value of the supply voltage. At this point the lamp flickers and becomes erratic, indicating the end of useful lifetime.

Life expectancy of a neon lamp increases considerably as operating current is decreased. [...]"

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member

Just a few tantalums to replace and start to reassemble the machine for a test run....... 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member

time for a test run......all runs well, however......only getting audio from one channel ;¬(

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member
Craig replied on Wed, Dec 15 2021 8:13 AM

The good news is that the cartridge plays fine on my working machine, so its looking like a poor/bad connection somewhere....the 5 pin DIN audio output connector looks a likely candidate

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member

Bad news.....continuity exists from the DIN plug back to the connections within the unit, so although the plug looks a little tired its all good. Measuring from the connections back to the tone arm I have continuity from the red wire back to the second from left connector strip on the tone arm, great. I also have continuity from the white wire back to the third from left connector strip on the tone arm....also great, I have continuity from the blue/green wires back to the right hand side connector strip on the tone arm.....however there is nothing between blue/green wires to the left connector strip....open circuit. 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member

Unfortunately continuity exists from all terminals to the solder connections to the rear of the tone arm

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member

And on de soldering the blue wire from the rear connector of the tone arm I have no continuity from the left connector strip front of tone arm and the blue wire.....so its pretty conclusive that the break is in the worst possible place......

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member
Craig replied on Sat, Dec 18 2021 3:55 PM

This can be repaired but it involves boiling water and a good chance of destroying the tone arm cartridge connector...........

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
4,159 Posts
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Dec 18 2021 4:24 PM

Good amp choice Craig.

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,409 Posts
Bronze Member

Craig:

This can be repaired but it involves boiling water and a good chance of destroying the tone arm cartridge connector...........

I think Sonavor made some repairs on the cartridge connector, hope he chimes in here, good luck with it.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,715 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Craig.  I think you have no choice but to pull out the cartridge connector (via the boiling water method). 
Note: Just to give credit where credit is due...I learned that trick from Martin way back when I had to repair the phono connector on my first BG4000) :-)
If the connector is good then a wire must have come loose so you will have to pull the connector to re-attach it. You should be able to extract the phono connector without damaging it. Just take care in pushing it out (after the metal tonearm assembly is heated via the boiling water). 
If the connector is broken internally it will have to be pulled and a replacement installed (a Beolover part will do the trick).

Just in case someone wants to try to heat up and remove the connector using a heat gun instead of boiling water...don't. A heat gun will ramp up the heat too fast and is too difficult to control. You will risk permanently damaging the plastic connector. Then you will really be in a bind.
Stick to the boiling water technique and if you find the original glue extra stubborn cycle the arm assembly between boiling water and ice water.

John

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member
Craig replied on Sun, Dec 19 2021 9:22 AM

Having discussed this with Justin the decision has been made to give it a go.....i have done this before but the connector proved difficult to get out, ended up buying a laser printed part from rudi......

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member

Ok.....boiling water at the ready

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,981 Posts
Silver Member

After a couple or three cycles of boiling water/freezer i was able to push the mount out of the arm....however it came out in slightly more pieces than I would have liked....

Page 8 of 9 (123 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL