rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 62 Replies | 2 Followers

Curly
Top 500 Contributor
FL, USA
299 Posts
Gold Member
Curly posted on Wed, Sep 29 2021 6:57 PM

I'll preempt Henrik's BOTF video, which drops tomorrow, and the official B&O announcement...

From the looks of it, Halo is getting new HomeKit-like functionality with interfacing to climate, lighting, motorized window treatments and more.

I'm excited to see what's in store because I have felt that, so far, Halo is just a very expensive volume up/down device. This looks promising!

I hope they put in basic Timer and Alarm functionality too...

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,471 Posts
Bronze Member

@Csaba

’…. but it is either a rapidly growing business that B&O wants to ride «early» on or are they sort of interested but not quite as committed as they should/could be?’

Actualy B&O has a long tradition for home automation…..in fact they are one of the pioneers.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member

I hope someone will be watching the video who can translate into English the highlights in the running comments.

At the very LEAST this update has to add connectivity to HomeKit features like controlling my lights, heater etc.  you know all the basic stuff a $30 google home can do.

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

Top 150 Contributor
519 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Thu, Sep 30 2021 7:54 PM

I'm watching it right now. The show is primarily focused on setting up the BLI for this moment (full tutorial).

I missed the first part, but so far I primarily learned that the Halo sends state updates to the BLI (battery state, charge/discharge state, motion sensor state) that can be used to trigger lights/music/macro's. So that's a very sweet thing to start with.

I guess I should post all of this not in this Halo-topic but on the Home Integration board :)

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member

What I've understood from the video is that only the BLI and not the BLGW will be supported for Halo Home Automation. Rather than using the current Home Control organization like we see on our BeoVisions/BeoSystems, the control will be achieved by adding a Halo Remote driver to the BLI. One then uses the BLI setup to create virtual buttons from the BLI that will appear on the Halo. The buttons can be assigned to various lights, scenes, thermostats, etc. The buttons can be assigned to trigger macros -- which makes pretty much ANYTHING on the BLI possible to control. What I find amazing is how the Halo wheel can be used to control the level of lights and there is two-way feedback of the light level on the Halo!

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member

Since the Halo could trigger macros on the BLI, this would make it possible to start playing the CD source of a BeoSound 9000 (connected via an NL/ML Converter) and then JOIN that source from any NL device via the Halo-- thereby getting around the lack of NL/ML Converter support on the Halo.

Bw789
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Gold Member
Bw789 replied on Thu, Sep 30 2021 9:30 PM

I wish they'd just support Apple Homekit.

Bw789
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Gold Member
Bw789 replied on Thu, Sep 30 2021 9:31 PM

I was expecting some Beosound Stage news, as I had a big update for mine earlier!

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member

Bw789:

I wish they'd just support Apple Homekit.

I had trouble following this part of the video, but it looks like it supports Apple Homekit indirectly through Google Home? I hope some Danish speaker can confirm or correct me on this.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,471 Posts
Bronze Member

I can’t say for sure - but it might be that Henrik is present at the coming (on sunday) Beotalk/YT.

If yes, he probably will have a lot to explain about what was in the video……….and that is in english.

MM

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Sep 30 2021 10:13 PM

If BeoTalk could be kept to an hour or so, I'd definitely watch it, but at 3 hours it's a hard pass. I just don't have the much time to sit and watch a podcast.

I went back and took a closer look at the BLI driver list in the video. I see a driver for "Home Assistant." I believe that Home Assistant includes Alexa, Google, Apple Home Kit, and Ikea.

There's also a new driver for B&O ControlLink. I think that is for the new Mozart products.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,471 Posts
Bronze Member

I tend to agree with you - but when Henrik is on board, it mostly is worth it…..imo.

That ‘new driver’ (for Mozart based products) is not active - and overall, what you can see in the video is a beta version.

However, Christian said that the update should be released at the time, when the video is online.

I guess we will know more (directly from B&O/Khimo) in the next days.

MM

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Sep 30 2021 10:33 PM

So I'm wondering if ControlLink is what B&O is calling the successor to NL.

MasterControlLink > MasterLink > NetworkLInk > ControlLInk

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,471 Posts
Bronze Member

beojeff:

So I'm wondering if ControlLink is what B&O is calling the successor to NL.

MasterControlLink > MasterLink > NetworkLInk > ControlLInk

That sounds plausible Cool

MM

So from what I am understanding..... If you want your $1000 Halo to do more than hold 4 present stations and control volume you have to spend another $1000 for the hub and then you can get the same options as a $30 google home. Correct?

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

Page 2 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL