Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BBC Radio 4 TuneIn stream dead

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 1 Follower

ebnrob
Top 500 Contributor
UK
172 Posts
Bronze Member
ebnrob posted on Fri, Mar 26 2021 9:58 AM

Anyone else having trouble playing radio 4 in the UK?

radio 1 and 2 are okay. Both my M3 and essence 2 try then jump to the next favourite.

Rob.

All Replies

MaxH
Top 500 Contributor
118 Posts
Bronze Member
MaxH replied on Fri, Mar 26 2021 11:11 AM

Radio 4 has been taken off TuneIn Angry

ebnrob
Top 500 Contributor
UK
172 Posts
Bronze Member
ebnrob replied on Fri, Mar 26 2021 11:14 AM

MaxH:

I’ve raised a support ticket with B&O. Let’s hope we get the new B&O radio software update soon then if the streams are being removed!

ebnrob
Top 500 Contributor
UK
172 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) ebnrob replied on Fri, Mar 26 2021 12:10 PM
Suggested by laseralex

I see some others have posted this issue on other threads. 

To get round this I’ve added a custom URL for radio 4 in the tune in app.

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_fourfm.m3u8

It then took about half an hour to show in the B&O app, but is at the end of the favourite list instead of being fourth annoyingly. Maybe that change will show shortly.

Rob.

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
681 Posts
Founder
Well, as if the world hadn’t already ended with the loss of Radio 4 from TuneIn, neither can I play Radio Paradise!

“This station is not available in your country.” 😱

What will B&O use for their demos now?!
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,488 Posts
Bronze Member

lawrencejmcook:
Well, as if the world hadn’t already ended with the loss of Radio 4 from TuneIn, neither can I play Radio Paradise!

Radio Paradise plays fine here.

By the way, with this kind of posts, it is helpfull to state where you are located.....’in ‘your country’ gives no hint of that.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
681 Posts
Founder
I’m in England, MM.

I had created my TuneIn account while I was in Hungary, but as I can’t find a country setting in my profile, I assume that TuneIn uses my IP address to deduce that.
ebnrob
Top 500 Contributor
UK
172 Posts
Bronze Member
ebnrob replied on Sat, Mar 27 2021 10:00 AM

Millemissen:

lawrencejmcook:

Radio Paradise plays fine here.

By the way, with this kind of posts, it is helpfull to state where you are located.....’in ‘your country’ gives no hint of that.

MM

I’ve not come across that station before, but it’s not in the tune in app for me in the UK. Is it a Dutch station or American?

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
681 Posts
Founder
It’s American. It was often mentioned in the rather useful tutorials on B&O’s YouTube channel.
ebnrob
Top 500 Contributor
UK
172 Posts
Bronze Member
ebnrob replied on Sat, Mar 27 2021 10:15 AM

Ah okay! I’ve found that one on the Net Radio on my beovision 11, listening to the Police right now! sounds like another tune in licensing issue! 

I’ve never understood why B&O decided to rely on tune in when they had their own platform in place.

Raise a support request. Mine’s been escalated to head office.

lawrencejmcook:
It’s American. It was often mentioned in the rather useful tutorials on B&O’s YouTube channel.

ebnrob
Top 500 Contributor
UK
172 Posts
Bronze Member
ebnrob replied on Tue, Mar 30 2021 8:53 AM

MaxH:

It gets even worse.. All BBC streams are also now dead through NetRadio on my beovision 11 Super Angry 

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
681 Posts
Founder
ebnrob:

It gets even worse.. All BBC streams are also now dead through NetRadio on my beovision 11

And even worse news this morning. The BBC has announced that Radio 4 will now only be a “historical” channel, i.e. reruns only. No more original programming!

What will happen to the Today program? How will the government be held to account? Tragedy!
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,488 Posts
Bronze Member

ebnrob:

MaxH:

It gets even worse.. All BBC streams are also now dead through NetRadio on my beovision 11 Super Angry 

Seems to be a UK thing - probably more a BBC thing than a TuneIn thing!

BBC plays fine here (I am on a german ip) - from the Essence/TuneIn and from BV Avant/Neteadio.

And Radio Paradise also plays fine.

By the way, Radio Paradise is a non commercial, listener supported american radio station.

Of course....depending on your taste in music, I can highly recommend it (there are also some sub channels in addition to the Main Mix).

They have different apps (and a webplayer) - even one for the AppleTV (with beatiful artwork along with the music).

And they stream in different qualities up to uncompressed FLAC using the native apps - the Netradio/BV Avant is 320 AAC.

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,132 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Mar 30 2021 12:55 PM

In the end this is largely a BBC issue - they want people (in the Uk only at the moment) to listen via their new-ish Sounds app, or if not for third party platforms to provide information on usage data. 

Tunein won't do that (as of now), hence the BBC has pulled its stuff from the platform.

Looking at the Sonos community forum, it seems that while a lot of devices lost access when this first happened in late 2019, some of those that retained it (and I'm guessing that includes some B&O devices similarly too) have recently lost access in the recent cull / update on March 21st/22nd.

So eventually it seems the BBC is trying to get more and more of its audience listening in accordance to the above...and that may at some point capture overseas listeners too.

This does raise broader questions. Firstly the new B&O Radio service may include BBC stations for now, but I can't see that as sustainable unless there is a data sharing arrangement with the BBC.  After all if the stations are going from NETRADIO, why would they sustain on the B&O Radio service.

And secondly, if there is no such agreement, it underlines the concern / question over whether B&O speakers (non Beolabs) will really ever have integrated services again.

B&O can regain access if they ask users to sign in to their BBC account, but I'm guessing this is not going to happen (probably because of the hassle of building that into the B&O app workflow)

From my point of view, I wouldn't mind if B&O shared my radio listening data with the BBC if I got integrated radio in return.

Microphones and Google I draw the line at, but simple sharing of what programmes I listen to I care less about.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,488 Posts
Bronze Member

Another question is, how do (read: did) people listen to the BBC netradio stations.

Did they do it via integrated services from TuneIn or others on the myriad of networked devices of today or do they use the native BBC apps?

And how many are willing to use that as a ‘workaround’, airplaying/casting?

Do BBC really think that they will gain more listeners that way (or will it be less)?

Will the data from the users really be worth it?

Do they really need these data to jusify their worth for those who pay/the govenment?

Personally - as you might think - I would care less, if the BBC stations disappeared from the integrated service on my B&O devices.

It would be a pity, but BBC is by far not what I listen to regularly.

If the people behind BBC don’t want me to have access to british culture.....so be it.

Hard to say, if it could be possible to keep the stations in the app and give BBC access to whatever data, they need (through signing in with a BBC account or alike).

Just like you, this would not bother me - I also am more concerned about the data, that Google collects (if you let them).

MM

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL