rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Peter Gabriel
Not Ranked
Denmark
12 Posts
Bronze Member
Peter Gabriel posted on Sun, Mar 14 2021 7:17 AM

I recently bought a used RX2 in mint condition (I thought). Upon first listen it sounded great, but I noticed a small amount of wow & flutter. On some records worse than others. And on some without issues at all. My first thought was that the belt was warn and needed replacement, but then again, wouldn’t the w&f be a constant on all albums? Then I noticed that the platter is not completely level with the top alu plate/panel. My first couple of tries, was to see if I had somehow misaligned the platter on its base, but that was not the case. Then I noticed that I could actually press the top alu plate down 3-4 mm at the back, which seems to level it with the platter, and upon noticing that I played an album with w&f without sound and lo and behold a tiny scraping sound after each turn was heard. The vinyl hits the top alu plate when it is warped in a certain way. That must be the issue - the reason for the w&f. So what to do? I assume I can’t just glue the top plate, as it needs to be removed to replace the belt, right?  I have measured the platter, and it is level, so the issue must be the lose top plate, right? I have tried to hold the top plate down with some gaffa tape, not pretty, helps a little, but would much rather do it correct. Help much appreciated. 

Thanks.  

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,801 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Sun, Mar 14 2021 7:36 AM
Verified by Peter Gabriel

Page 5-1 in the service manual shows how to adjust the leaf springs.

Martin

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,801 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Sun, Mar 14 2021 7:36 AM
Verified by Peter Gabriel

Page 5-1 in the service manual shows how to adjust the leaf springs.

Martin

Peter Gabriel
Not Ranked
Denmark
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Awesome. Thanks. And you think I will be able to level the platter that way?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,801 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Mar 14 2021 8:40 AM

Obviously I cannot tell from here if something is broken or missing in your deck, but assuming everything is there and fine, yes.

Martin

Peter Gabriel
Not Ranked
Denmark
12 Posts
Bronze Member

So, just did the adjustments and paralleled the tonearm with the plate while I was at it, and now it works perfectly. No more wow & flutter as the vinyl turns around clear of the top plate. Great! Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction 👍

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL