rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 1 Follower

pastaj
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
pastaj posted on Fri, Feb 19 2021 4:13 AM

Hi everyone!

I just set up my harmony (basic setup, still waiting on the mic) and WOW, what a ton of settings and options. Im wondering what is a good place to start for speaker roles. I have a pair of 50s up front and 18s in the rear. The harmony has 3 channels and i set them all to "center front" for now but seems redundant to run them all the same. Sounds like i have a similar setup to Mikipedia and i was hoping for some insight into setup to get the most out of these speakers. I have noticed, just with my Core set up to run the 50s alone, they perform differently depending on if they are connected via powerlink vs optical. I am now running everything via WISA and just want to make sure im getting everything i can out of the speakers and the setup. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

All Replies

MaxH
Top 500 Contributor
81 Posts
Gold Member
MaxH replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 2:22 PM

Mikipedia will give you great advice but for my money you need to turn the two outside centre channels on the Harmony down - especially if you don't have so much room between the speakers - because they are so powerful. You will need to experiment to see how you can get the best from vocals in that setup but you have all the tools you need to do it.

You need to connect the 50s via powerlink or you won't get anything like the best out of them but my 18s are fine via WISA connection.

Are your 18s at the rear of the room or just behind the seating position? It makes a great deal of difference whether you use them as rears or surrounds.

pastaj
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
pastaj replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 2:39 PM

Thanks for the reply!! 

ok, so by "turn them down" do you mean the gain/level? the 50s are about 3 feet to the left and right of the TV. 

In regards to the 50s, i meant the interconnect between the master/slave. are you referring to this connection or do you mean directly connecting them to the TV? the specs on the sound guide for the 50s seem to imply that the WISA connection provides for high quality sound transmission. Are you saying that by directly connecting the speakers to the  back of the harmony gives better sound? i have noticed that the bass and the sound was much richer and warmer when i had my core connected via powerlink but when i switched to an optical connection, the sound output (when volume levels were held the same) was much lower compared to the powerlink connection. I dont know much about cables and why this would be but i was under the impression that optical/toslink was supposed to be the best quality sound. but for my taste, the 50s were BOOMING when they were hooked up to the core via powerlink. 

i have the harmony front and center, then the 50s as a traditional front L/R. The 18s are slightly behind the listening position, on either end of my couch. Pretty much a standard 5.1 surround setup. But is there a way to mimic, or technically HAVE, a 7.1 channel setup since there are 3 speakers within the harmony? i understand that setting the L/R in the harmony to front L/R would be a waste since the 50s are far more capable. If this were your system, how would you set it up? thank you!!

pastaj
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
pastaj replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 2:43 PM

Also, for those that saw my first forum post a few months ago, i did end up getting the receiver1 and have it running one of my SVS SB-16s and with some simple bass mgmt, its working and now i just need to tweak, but for those interested, it is possible to run non BO subs via receiver1 and harmony with some slight bass mgmt. I will keep posted. 

also, would love to hear everyones opinions on setup options for the harmony and my current speaker group. thank you. very grateful!

MaxH
Top 500 Contributor
81 Posts
Gold Member
MaxH replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 3:19 PM

Sounds like you are having fun :-)

As far as cabling and the various options in your setup wait for Mikipedia's input  - in fact it would be a great Twitch show on its own (hint, hint).

I was referring to the speaker levels on the Harmony. For TV and YTube I have the two centre outsides set as -1.5 db and the centre as 0db but for other inputs (Netflix, for example) I have the outsides set as -2.5db and the centre as -1db.

For music I only ever use my front speakers (no Harmony or anything else).

The 18s in the position you describe should be set to surround. 

pastaj
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
pastaj replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 3:33 PM

amen!  as most of us on here, i feel like a kid on christmas. I picked up my harmony soundcenter yesterday and installed the GX mount and the GX screen in a reasonable amount of time. I find that stuff so much fun. now comes the hours and hours of tweaking settings for that perfect sound. I agree, if i had some 90s id only use those too ;-) hahahaha, one day, i went from a pair of e8 earbuds to all of this stuff now, its addicting....and EXPENSIVE. lol. 

anywho, really appreciate the input! this is a great place to get info that is not easily obtainable and im grateful for this wealth of knowledge here. 

one last thing, im sure its a sound mode or speaker setup issue but i was briefly watching Billions on prime (nice pair of 90s in that dudes apartment) and the audio sounded spot on for surround sound, but when i was on netflix, the audio while watching the brief previews they give you when you scroll over the content, i noticed the sound was very echo-y. As if you had a DSP mode applied, think dance hall or orchestra mode, etc. Is this normal or is it a sound mode setup issue that i need to sort out? thanks!

MaxH
Top 500 Contributor
81 Posts
Gold Member
MaxH replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 4:05 PM

E8s to 50s, 18s and a Harmony - love it Big Smile

Have a good tinker but, if it were me, I would get the basics right first.

Definitely no WISA on the 50s but I don't have a Core so wait for Miki or one of the technically able people to put you right on the best way to hook them up.

As well as a mic get a stand and don't forget to keep the mic pointing up. If the 50s are new, in my experience, it's a good idea to recalibrate after using them for a period of time. Also, a simple db meter on your phone comes in useful.

I have different sound settings for Netflix, Prime and TV and it also makes a difference (IMHO) whether you play these through Apple TV or not so there is even more fun(?) until you get your preferences set.

Once you are happy you can set these different sound settings on the My buttons on the remote.

I have Netflix, Prime, Apple TV and Apple TV (playing only 90s) as MY buttons so switching sound settings is automatically done.

As you will find out there are multiple ways to experiment to achieve different sound settings so good luck  - you have some great gear :-)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,746 Posts
Bronze Member

@pastaj 

As for the channels of the Harmony with connected L/R speakers.

Go to 14.30 here: https://youtu.be/svIUxzKzI8E

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,746 Posts
Bronze Member

@pastaj 

As for the channels of the Harmony with connected L/R speakers.

Go to 14.30 here: https://youtu.be/svIUxzKzI8E

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

pastaj
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
pastaj replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 4:39 PM

well that pretty much answers that! thanks!

pastaj
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
pastaj replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 4:43 PM

Are there adjustment screws for the harmony speakers to fine tune the alignment? i found the ones on the back of the tv that move the screen closer or further way so the speakers clear the screen, but my speakers are slightly out of alignment and want to trim them. thanks!!

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,824 Posts
Gold Member
Posted something similar in your other thread, basics first Big Smile

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,934 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 4:59 PM

Congrats on the new setup!

Like Max above, I only use my front (i.e left and right) 50s for music - none of my other speakers are engaged, and certainly not my BV speakers, and neither my rears.

Unless you room is extremely large, there should be no need for anything other than the 50s for music, unless you really have a preference for engaging the 18s too.

pastaj:

well that pretty much answers that! thanks!

pastaj
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
pastaj replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 4:59 PM

he has arrived......lol been waiting to hear your opinion. thanks!

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,824 Posts
Gold Member

pastaj,

Here are some of the things for the Harmony MM and I said in another thread. Firstly though, before we speak about ''optimising'' wire in the 50's and set them up correctly as they will for 80% dedicate the performance of your system.

MM said:

''Normally what you call ‘left back’ would be the speaker placed and set as the left rear speaker behind you.

A ‘surround back’ does not really excist - surround speakers are those, that are placed beside the listening position.....and back would mean speakers that are placed at the back aka rear speakers.

You really should consult the Technical Sound Guide found on the B&O website - there you find good explanations for speaker placement and assigning these to the different roles. Also google for the Dolby layouts of 5.X/7.X speaker configurations.

As for how to use (or not) the L/R’s of the Harmony, when you want a multichannel setup, there are different takes on this.

As with all audio and audio configuration it depends on your room - and indeed on how far you have placed the BL5’s from the tv....also on your seating posions in front of the tv (especially when more people are listening).

You will have to experiment a bit - one good starting point would be to engage the LR as Center, set these up with a difference of 3 db to the C of the Harmony and set the distance of the C to approx 20 centimeters further away than the L/R.

See this video interview with Geoff Martin, where this also is discussed (head for 15:00):

https://youtu.be/svIUxzKzI8E

As always....don’t be afraid of trying things out, just keep record on what you are doing in order to find the right settings for you/your setup, once you have finished testing.

Note: you can easily make to Speaker Groups with different settings and switch between these........maybe even one for solo-listening and one for when you are more people.''

I said:

''geoff was talking about the left and right of the speakers inside the harmony/eclipse/avant. They are labeled as bv harmony L and bv harmony R. So you set the bv harmony C to the correct distance and at 0(if that is desired/confirmed with db meter in refference to the other speakers in the speakergroup) you then you check the same for distance and output for the bv harmony L qnd bv harmony R (both of those are also set to center). You then bump the bv harmony C by +1db and the bv harmony L & R bump those down -3db. Then you ad an additional 20cm to the bv harmony C channel for distance.

That is what Geoff said to try, just doing the Harmony C channel for center speaker channel only isn’t “wrong” or “bad” just default and a different way of doing it.''

And:

''Generally in terms of setup with a 5.1 track, the “rear” speakers are the surround audio track. With 7.1 the “rear” speakers are in the back track position and so in that case they should be in the back position, because the the surround speakers are the middle ones in the 7.1 tracks.

The left and right of the harmony aren’t on on mine either, you can turn them on (as MM reffered to, by Geoff) but i think it makes the center a bit boomy. That’s up to you, to me it makes more sense on an avant or eclipse as the harmony already kicks butt''

But please sort the 50's and the physical setup of the Harmony first!

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL